DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
7,448 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm upgrading my standard plastic steering wheel for a leather one I picked up at u-pull. I have read the how-to's and unfortunately they only explain how to remove it, I learned that valuable lesson already. I want to know about the install, if a puller is needed to take it off, is anything special required to put it back on?

·
Registered
11,278 Posts
I replaced mine without a puller, just needed some rubber mallet work on the backside of the old wheel

The reinstall is as simple as lining it up and tightening the center bolt

Total time for the wheel swap was under 30 minutes (45 mins if you count the 15 mins I left the battery disconnected before starting the old wheel removal)

·
Registered
2,654 Posts
Nope, It should just slide right on, Enough so you can get the nut started, once you start tightening the nut it will force the wheel back into place.

·
Registered
7,448 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I replaced mine without a puller, just needed some rubber mallet work on the backside of the old wheel

The reinstall is as simple as lining it up and tightening the center bolt

Total time for the wheel swap was under 30 minutes (45 mins if you count the 15 mins I left the battery disconnected before starting the old wheel removal)
Well, embarassingly enough, I have double that in removal time alone, mind you I had no idea what was involved, and had every size torx except the one I needed to remove the airbag assembly...busted up the metal bracket pretty good. On top of that it was pretty frigid out,snowing, and sitting on the floor of the car instead of the seat.

I'm glad to hear install is fairly simple. Can I not just pull the fuse for the airbag, or could re-installing it set it off?

·
Registered
7,448 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
You didnt disconnect the battery or remove the fuse before removing the airbag?!?!?!?

(btw - Torx needed T15 + T25)
Should I have?? JK, they remove the engines, batteries, drain all fluids, and pull all fuses at the u-pull before they go in the yard.

·
Registered
1,778 Posts
would be awefully hard to drive to connecticut without a steering wheel though -:)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts