DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
3,027 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I been searching for a woodgrain wheel for a while now...with no luck. So I decided I'll just make my own out of fiberglass (I love working with fiberglass BTW) I went to the yard, got an extra wheel for $6...and started working

First thing was to remove the leather of the wheel and scuffed up the white plastic...so the FB(fiberglass) can adhere to it

Next I wrapped some 4-way stretching polyester fabric around it...you can use many types of fabric. I like polyester because if conforms to curves easily.

Added a few coats of resin and let out to dry.

It's going good so far...though I'm considering using some kind of wool type material instead (resin soaks in better)

More to come...

·
Premium Member
16,962 Posts
Imitation birch. :)

·
Registered
3,027 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
I sanded the fiberglass a lil bit today with 80 grit sand paper, just to knock down the real rough spots

A little more sanding (Everybody that ever done some fiberglass work, knows about how much sanding has to be done) The black marks you see is from a light coat of black paint...this will help you see where the low spots are, and where body filler is needed

I have to sand lil grooves on the back, to make the grip.
After that I have to add some body filler...and yes you guessed it...More sanding :)

·
Registered
780 Posts
thats a lot of work for something plain black like that but hey go for it...maybe real gold flake covered in clear resin but plain black just wrap the wheel in electrical tape?

·
Registered
3,027 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
thats a lot of work for something plain black like that but hey go for it...maybe real gold flake covered in clear resin but plain black just wrap the wheel in electrical tape?
It's not alot of work...when u know what you're doing. I work with this stuff on a weekly basis. I'm going with the black...well because my whole interior is black. and I don't wanna go over the top, I'm trying to keep it looking stock as possible. Something like this

·
Registered
3,027 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
This is why I'm painting it gloss black...as you can see, and if you can't figure it out...it's to match my gloss black dash trim. Even my radio is gloss black lol

I ran out of body filler...so I have to order some more. In the mean time in between time, I started on another project I been wanting to try out. I'm sure you can tell what it is by the pic

·
Registered
3,027 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
i seen those led turn signals that you mount on your mirror today at autozone
Yeah I seen them before...but they look a lil tacky to me. I'm mounting the LEDs behind the glass..like the Muth mirrors or some Cadillacs

·
Registered
3,027 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Heres an update....

I added primed and added a few base coats..and cleared it...
I just gotta buff out a few rough spots...I also plan to re-wrap the bottom leather half, since i scratched it up a lil while sanding...

Let me know what you guys think :confused:

·
Registered
11,960 Posts
Wow, that's very nice..........should start selling them!

1 - 20 of 31 Posts