DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
2,676 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK...I got some extra money laying around and do not know what to get? I am thinking of a system for my 'trep.

What would a good system cost, and what do you guys recommend? I've never done anything with car audio before, aside from upgrading a head unit.

·
Registered
4,980 Posts
Extra cash lying around? You could always send it my way!! :)

Go with the stereo, I'd say...nothing like having great sounding tunes in your car. Maybe you could try building that system you were talking about earlier with the hard drive incorporated somewhere in your car?

·
Registered
2,427 Posts
if you have enough cash i'd advise you use boston acoustic speakers. throw a nice cerwin 12 sub with a good amp and you'll be set.

·
Registered
2,676 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I currently have $900, plus the $300 tax refund I should be getting in a few weeks for a grand total of $1200.

I do not want to spend it all on a system for my car, I'd like to get more than one thing.

I have no idea what to buy???

·
Registered
2,427 Posts
pioneer head unit and boston speakers. a set of boston 6x9s in the rear deck will almost alleviate the need for a sub. note i say almost. my pioneer 6x9s do the same thing but boston is just a richer sound. for the money i paid though the pioneers are way better than average. infinities are nice, of course, too.

i would stay away from alpine, sony, kenwood, jl audio and rockford fosgate. with those you're buying a reputation. alpine head units are good quality but i don't like their style (i like a volume knob and not buttons).

people, please don't flame this post because you disagree with my personal preferences in car audio....just state your disagreement and leave it at that.

·
Registered
2,676 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I would definately go with a Pioneer head unit because my changer is Pioneer, and can be controlled by a Pioneer head unit if I get one.

I don't know?? Just trying to get some ideas for now...

·
Registered
2,676 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Originally posted by Warlord187:
What kind of music do you listen to? Also, are you looking for an SPL system, a SQ system, or about 50/50?
Mostly Alternative rock and Punk.

No idea what the rest of that means?

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
Definately go with a Pioneer head unit and Boston speakers, they do deliver a very rich sound. You could add an amp or get a pre-amp'd Bazooka. They start at 6.5" 100w and go to 150w right out of the box. I have an 8" tube with 150w and it hits pretty hard, not like a couple of 15's but then again, I just want deep smooth bass and not my vehicle jumpin' all over the road. Now for prices, a decent head unit would run between $200-300 unless you want pretty graphx and extra features, my Bazooka sub was $300 and I really don't know about the Bostons, but all together you could get a pretty decent system for under $1000.

·
Registered
3,503 Posts
SPL=Sound Pressure Level...usually for people who like rap
SQ=Sound Quality
I use a 50/50 set-up because I listen to everything.

For your type of music I would go with a sealed enclosure (not ported or bandpass). Sealed enclosure are more "accurate", have a quicker response (better for drums) and are not as "boomy" as ported or bandpass enclosures. I would go with a single 10" or 12" subwoofer. Here are a couple of great web sites to look.
1) Sound Domain
2) Just Woofers
3) Just Amps
I got my sub from Just Woofers. You can get a pair of JBL for $140. That's what I got, because a single would cost $100. I figure for only $40 more I can get the second one. A very similiar sub to the JBL is the Infinity Reference. With going with only one sub, you can get a lower powered two-channel amp and bridge it to one channel. For example, the amp that I am using is rated at 75x2 RMS, but when bridged it's rated at 200x1 RMS. This saves money by not only having to buy one sub, but you'll save money by buying a less powerful two-channel amp.

As for the other speakers, Bostons are good, Infinity, MB Quart, Diamond, to name a few. For head units Clarion is excellent!

Feel free to email me with any questions also.

·
Registered
299 Posts
get the pioneer head unit, the one for gm/chryslers, as for 6x9s, The Infinity Reference are awesome, i recommend them, the bass is great, and highs are awesome....they provide so much bass for my trep, i have yet to hear a better system then mine (someone without any subs), ask gary about the infinitys, his friend got them, and loves them....the infinity refernce 6953i's are 150.00 at circuit city, or u can get them at crutchfield.com

·
Registered
220 Posts
Heh... seems everyone has an opnion on car audio. :)

If you still have the factory head, yank out that sucker. Pioneer's are nice, the 1.5 din units look good in a Chrysler, but Kenwood, Aiwa, JVC, Clarion, Elcipse and Alpine all make good head units.

I tend to go for a well rounded speaker, a good set of 6x9's from Infinity, Boston, or MB Quart. And a nice set of component speakers for the front from Boston, Infinity, Fosgate, Orion or MB Quart will do nicely, and any will expand very well into a more elaborate system if you decide to go there...

So... a decent head unit= $300-400, 6x9's = $100-150, component set $150-200.

A sub is always nice, but hey your on a budget here :D...

·
Registered
2,427 Posts
you can get bose out of a nissan or an olds with premium audio. i didn't know GM was in bed with bose but my friend's dad has a 99 aurora that has bose equip.

i, by the way, have the 1.5 din pioneer head unit in my ride. it's cool. the look is a bit funny but the features are awesome. it should cost about 250 wherever you get it.

·
Registered
12 Posts
We are thinking about taking our tax refund (hence our budget of about $5-600) and putting in a new system in our 2.7. Being a family who listens to a mixture of alternative/rock and Elmo, we are more interested in sound quality than volume.

So several questions from pure audio-neophytes:

We are considering the Pioneer DEH-P77DH, because of recommendations here, features, it looks like it fits, and it is not as visually loud as some others. (Not that there is anything wrong with that, just not our style)

Crutchfield's catalog seems to indicate the opening in the 2nd gens is different than the first. 1st Question:
Will this head unit still fit without dash mods?

Second question: That head unit takes up 1/2 of our budget. Given that, we would also like to upgrade speakers. I don't think we need subwoofers or amps, but we are thinking about new front speakers and new 6x9s. What do you recommend that might total @$250 +/- ?

Third question:
Component speakers (I think refers to separate tweeters and woofers) Can you mount a pair of tweeters in the opera window area (is that the name for it? The area where the rearview mirrors are attached) How is the wiring run? WHere does the (Again forgive the lack of proper jargon) signal splitter go? WOuld you also need bass blockers? Would going with components versus a two way be worth it in this arrangement (cost/hassle vs. sound quality)

In the end, sorry for the long post. We need advice before going in to a shop and possibly getting ripped off.

Thanks in advance :confused:

·
Registered
4,980 Posts
The 2nd Gen radios have round edges, making them not the same size. You probably would have to buy a kit or it might not fit/look right.

As for the mirror mounted speakers...I'm assuming you mean the A-pillar? (the area directly behind the side mirrors <here should be an odd shaped plastic "egg" there> ) You can mount speakers in there...the uplevel Intrepids alerady have speakers there, and I know someone on this board with a base system already has mounted aftermarket speakers there by cutting a hole in the front of the "egg" and mounting the speakers. ( I can't remember who though, you might want to search, but there's a lot of threads with stereo info)

Either way, good luck...and remember to blast that Elmo when you are done!! ;)

·
Registered
137 Posts
Intrepedation,
I would suggest stating with just the head unit. Many of my friend have bought just the head unit and it has improved sound a lot.
About the DEH-P77DH, excellent head unit !! nothing but good comments that I've heard. BUT maybe you should look at the DEH-P47DH instead. At Crutchfield it is $50 cheaper, The only big difference is that the 77 has 3 set of pre-outs and the 47 only has 1 set. Theses pre-outs are used for adding more speakers such as subwoofers of additional 6x9s.

Just my 2 cents
Brian
'99 Inferno Red 2.7L

·
Banned
3,574 Posts
No offence to Bose lovers here, but after selling that...stuff I can honestly say that you pay at least TWICE as much as you should.

You can do so much better for way cheaper.

·
Registered
2,676 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Originally posted by LHSer:
No offence to Bose lovers here, but after selling that...stuff I can honestly say that you pay at least TWICE as much as you should.

You can do so much better for way cheaper.
I'm a firm believer in the statement:

"You get what you pay for"

And I live by that rule :)

1 - 20 of 25 Posts