DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After being off the road for nine months because of various problems, my Intrepid w/ the 2.7 engine now has the oil pressure warning light coming on at idle. I had replaced this sensor a couple of years ago w/ the same problem. (The light goes off whenever the engine speeds up.) I had a sludge problem, since solved w/ installation of a new Mopar water pump, but I'm wondering if sludge above (or in) the sensor could be causing the problem -- and whether removing and cleaning might fix it. My reasoning: when oil pressure is low, sludge (mixture of oil, water and air) can compress, meaning it doesn't activate the sensor. 2) when oil pressure is high enough, that's enough to compress the sludge and the oil light goes off.
All comments appreciated.

·
Premium Member
17,876 Posts
Assuming the bulk of your oil is not foamy, having some foamy oil only trapped at the switch wouldn't prevent the switch from sensing the actual pressure - the small volume of foamy oil would just compress and still transmit the full pressure to the sensing element (diaphragm) - even if it was all air trapped in the switch.

It would be unusual for the pressure to actually be low (due to bad pump or bearings). You probably just need to replace the switch again. I don't know if you got an aftermarket or OEM switch last time, but you need to get it from the dealer.

If the new switch doesn't fix it, you should verify that the pressure is above 5 psi at idle, in gear, and at full operating temperature using a known-accurate mechanical pressure gauge. But I suspect a new switch will fix it.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks, Peva, for your good advice. Will replace the sensor. I've been driving it a fair amount, and if the oil pump wasn't working, I'd be standing by the side of the highway, waiting for a tow. :)
The rest of the oil is NOT foamy, though getting the sludge out after replacing the pump wasn't much fun.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts