DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
360 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 1999 Intrepid, it has a factory am/fm/cd player with cd changer controls. The problem is that when you turn on the system everything comes out of the right hand side..nothing but hiss on the left.with the occasional pop from the left. It does not matter what I am playing, radio or cd.
Pulled the unit and tested all the connections..all showed to be working. Thats when I went looking for the "amp" that I was told to check.....how would one do this...its in one tough spot....is there a way to bypass this and go aftermarket? Can the head unit operate without the "amp"?

If not I have a Pioneer DEH P 8250, that I could install..if so...how do I bypass the factory amp till I get around to getting aftermarket gear??

Sorry for the long post...just hate running with no tunes..car is to quiet.

Mike D new member to the Intrepid crowd

·
Registered
6,239 Posts
The factory amp isn't really hard to get to. Unless you actually have a cd changer, I see no reason not to go with the pioneer HU. You will need to bypass the factory amp with the aftermarket HU, but thats not too difficult either. You could get a LOC instead of bypassing the amp.

To get to the amp, open your front passenger door, you'll need to pull off the weather stripping and pull up the plastic piece thats on the door sill (you would step on it getting in the car). Then take out the two long silver screws in the plastic trim piece down by the floor. That trim piece comes right off then and behind it you can see the factory amp. To bypass it you just pull out the connector that goes into it and you would need to connect each speaker wire from the HU directly to each speaker wire coming out of the connector. If you want to take out the factory amp completely them loosen those two bolts and it just drops out.

·
Registered
360 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So to bypass I will need to match up all the connections?? Okay...a bit of work but doable....Question...whats a "LOC"?
Am looking at a Scosche part that hooks from my new deck directly to the harness ( just have to find it here in Canada). So I pull the panel, have done it before, and pull the harness out from the amp and match up the lefts with the lefts, etc?
New day project....
Thanks for the help...will be hearing from me again, I am sure..........Mike D

·
Registered
6,239 Posts
A LOC is a line out converter and basically it converts the signal from your HU to match that of what would come from your stock head unit, so that your aftermarket works how it should with your factory amp. Others would be better at helping you find one since I have components running off RCAs and never touched an LOC.

The harness to match up all the wires for your aftermarket HU with your factory harness is something made by a million companies and can be picked up at any car audio store or somewhere like best buy/circuit city. You just tell them your car's year and the computer says what part number you need.

·
Registered
8,649 Posts
If your amp is the problem, then yes you need to get it out of the system. Assuming you don't have the Infinity system you can power the speakers directly from either the OEM or aftermarket headunit. However, if you have the Infinity system you'll need to replace the door and rear deck speakers as they can't be directly powered by either headunit...

·
Registered
360 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Nope...dont have the Infinity system...no emblems anywhere.just a deck with cd changer controls and radio..and a amp in the fender..dumb place to put it....

After messing with it, it appears to be the amp..when you turn it on you get a bonk sound then lots of crackling...then as it runs longer, it quites down...just no lefts..except for the odd pop sound from the rears...

Will try to bypass the amp and see what happens..if all else fails..new HU and dig a amp out of the pile in the closet.

Mike D

·
Registered
8,649 Posts
Keep in mind when you bypass the amp and try to run directly from the headunit you can either run the lower door speakers or the sail speakers. But don't try to run both as you'll damage the headunit amplifier...

·
Registered
6,239 Posts
Wait if he doesn't have the infinity system I thought that meant that he doens't have a factory amp.

·
Registered
360 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
well everything plugs into a box in the fender well....its black and the top is finned...so I assume its a amp....

·
Registered
8,649 Posts
The mid-line system also has an OEM amplifier. Any system in a second gen Trep that has sail speakers has an OEM amp. The midline system uses a 120W amp and the Infinity I system uses a 240W amp...

·
Registered
360 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
So I guess I have the Mid line system. Well I like having the sail speakers and the doors..so the stock head unit is looking to be a out. Am first going to see if I can find a factory amp and give it a try, or how difficult would it be to tie a aftermarket into the system and still be able to run all 6 speakers. What are the speakers rated for...I have a amp that I pulled from a older truck of mine, its a 4 channel, 180 watt unit. Wil just have to find the install papers for it.

Thanks for all the info to date people.........Mike D

·
Registered
8,649 Posts
It will essentially be impossible to run the stock system with an aftermarket amplifier as the amplifier actually contains all the programming as far as crossovers, EQ, etc. to make the speaker system sound like it does. An aftermarket amp can't duplicate this. The OEM amp is also pretty low power, that 120W rating is a max rating for all channels combined. The simplest would probably be to find a replacement OEM amp. I believe someone was trying to get rid of one in the buy/sell/trade forums recently...

·
Registered
360 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Off to the buy/sell/trade forums.

Thanks dbaudiopro.......after i wrote the reply, it occured to me i would need crossovers etc, and since i saw nothing in-line it had to be coming from the deck

Mike D

·
Registered
8,649 Posts
The processing it not done in the headunit, it's actually done in the amplifier module. In fact any headunit could be used with the OEM amplifier as it simply takes 4 channels in and does all the other processing. Even an aftermarket headunit could be used with an LOC...

·
Registered
360 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
So if I go with a aftermarket HU, and a Amp....And I want to keep the 6 speakers..I will need crossovers and either a 4 and 2 channel amp or a 6 channel amp??Or can the HU run the fronts(its a Pioneer DEH P-8250), then a 2 channel amp to run the rears with a crossover so only mid/lows go to the rear??Or can the Pioneer run everything, I just need the nessary crossovers to send signals where I need them (ie: highs to the sails, mid/highs to the doors,mid/lows to the rear).
Sorry for all the Questions....have to many options open to me right now...still looking for a stock amp in the area...nothing at the wreakers so far.
Mike D

·
Registered
8,649 Posts
If you want to eliminate the OEM amp you need to replace at least the front door speakers and eliminate the sails. The rears will be ok running off the headunit as is. Or you could try simply powering the lower door speakers full range from the headunit. Either way you lose the sail speakers. There is not a sensible way of keeping all 6 OEM speakers working as designed using an aftermarket amplifier...

·
Registered
360 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
okay...looks like its shopping time.....what are the sizes of the front speakers, I know the backs are 6x9, but what are the doors and sails? What are the max watts of these speakers? Looks like, if I cant find a OEM amp, to test this thing, Its all coming out!!
I have the HU, i have 3 matching amps , 2 xenon 200.2, and 1 xenon 600.1. just need a sub, box and the wires and possibly a electronic cross over for fine tuning. Will have to find a speaker set up.......would like a component set for the front and 6x9 mids/lows for the rear....any ideas..or do I for now, till more coin comes my way, try and drive the stocks with this set up and just take it easy on them for awhile.

·
Registered
8,649 Posts
The front speakers are oversized 6.5" in the lower door, some call it a 6.75". But any 6.5" will fit fine though some require a cheap adapter plate screw in properly. Forget about the sails. If you get a component set mount the tweeter with mid behind the OEM grill, there is plenty of room and will keep the sound focused like it should be. As for the rears you could just power the OEM ones with the headunit for the time being and then upgrade later when you have more cash...

·
Registered
360 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Thanks for the info..time to head out and see what I can find...then its rip the interior apart time...wifie is just going to love this..........
Mike D

·
Registered
360 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
last question for awhile....where can I get a wiring schematic of the wires coming out og the HU and the ones from the amp, this is the all stock set-up. Think I found the HU but cant find the amps?
Want to try a couple things before ripping everything apart...
MIke D

1 - 20 of 24 Posts