DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,359 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, I tried Stoptech's bed-in procedure to cure my so called "wraped rotors", which now I understand as even material transfer.

My pads are not new, but in the past 6 months so they were rarely used. I did 10 stops from about 50 - 55 mph, fairly hard, about 80% of the onset of ABS activation.

Good new is the "warped rotors" effect is gone, for now. The bad news is after 5 miles of highway cruising cool-down, I looked at the pad and a few bubbles formed at the edge of the pad.

Is this procedure too harsh for a normal street pad? My pads are Bendix Titaniumetalic. Rotors are OEM style rotors.

I check a few other sites, like tirerack, and noticed most manufactures do NOT recommend hard braking for the first 500 miles or so. Clear contrast with Stoptech's advice.

Any help guys?

·
Registered
5,188 Posts
Were there any bed-in procedures for those pads? I know on my Hawks the final step on the instructions was doing pretty much exactly what you described.

·
Registered
2,359 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Since it's a OEM level pad, I think the only instructions were "avoid hard braking for the first 500 miles".

Maybe Warlord can confirm this?

·
Registered
3,503 Posts
I follow the Bendix procedure for burnishing. Although I admit I usually only get to 20 stops before I freak out from the smell of brakes (and that someone may call the cops for suspicious activity). :)

http://www.bendixbrakes.com/download/pdf/Brake-Burnishing-Procedures.pdf

btw....The Titaniumetallic pads have two benefits. The first is that the titanium has a high friction coefficient so your car stops well from the first brake application. The titanium also conditions the rotor better than a non-titanium pad.

·
Mopar or No Car
7,869 Posts
Yep! I followed the Bendix 30/30/30 procedure almost to the letter. The only catch for me was driving 2 miles to the mall parking lot. But there are only a couple of lights I had to deal with so I didn't stray too far from the rules ... :)

·
Registered
2,359 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hmm, guess Stoptech's recommendations are indeed too harsh. They're probably aimed more towards a performance setup, where 30 mph isn't fast enough for the intended temperature range.

Also, the stops I did weren't gentle at all...

Oh well, it fixed my "warped rotor" syndrome so I'm happy. Nothing negative noticed so far.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts