DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It wont let me upload a video of the sound but its a 2004 SXT with 93k on it. When you start it, it doesn't do it at first and then a few seconds later it sounds like a metallic sliding sound or maybe a slight rattle. Its not a knock or a tick or anything and it goes away when the engine is warm. What the heck could this be?

·
Woober Goobers!
50,466 Posts
Possible Power Steering pump noise. This is a common condition with starts in cold weather. Usually goes away within a few minutes. Not saying this is your problem but it's pretty common under the conditions you describe.

Might want to check your Power Steering fluid level. When was the last time the PS system was flushed? If never might consider a flush or Drain/fill with new ATF+4 fluid.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It wont let me upload a video of the sound but its a 2004 SXT with 93k on it. When you start it, it doesn't do it at first and then a few seconds later it sounds like a metallic sliding sound or maybe a slight rattle. Its not a knock or a tick or anything and it goes away when the engine is warm. What the heck could this be?
Possible Power Steering pump noise. This is a common condition with starts in cold weather. Usually goes away within a few minutes. Not saying this is your problem but it's pretty common under the conditions you describe.

Might want to check your Power Steering fluid level. When was the last time the PS system was flushed? If never might consider a flush or Drain/fill with new ATF+4 fluid.
My car has a known history with the power steering pump leaking. I had that problem last winter, and i have been watching it like a hawk as it is a very slow leak. Everything seems to be all good there. It was flushed and refilled last year. It seems like its coming from the left side of the engine. Its hard to tell but it sounds like its coming from the engine itself. I'm baffled because it only does it when the car has been sitting over night. When i start it from sitting a few hours throughout the day, the sound is nowhere to be heard.

·
Premium Member
16,966 Posts
My car has a known history with the power steering pump leaking. I had that problem last winter, and i have been watching it like a hawk as it is a very slow leak. Everything seems to be all good there. It was flushed and refilled last year. It seems like its coming from the left side of the engine. Its hard to tell but it sounds like its coming from the engine itself. I'm baffled because it only does it when the car has been sitting over night. When i start it from sitting a few hours throughout the day, the sound is nowhere to be heard.
I have to wonder if a generic or "universal" (not) p.s. fluid was put in it. As Ron indicated, it needs to have ATF+4 in it. Pretty much anything else will cause noise in these cars - might sound far fetched, but it's been proven many times on this forum.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts