DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently replaced my harmonic balancer out an abundance of caution. The old one was wiggling on the shaft and sometimes it was to the point i feared it could throw a belt. This repair actually required I remove the radiator fans so this repair caused my transmission to stop working. (BTW my suspicions were correct about what happened and the trans is fine.) I recently replaced my trans filter to take advantage of having little fluid in the trans. It still makes a weird noise like its low on oil but the oil is right in the middle of the hatch marks on the dip stick. I'm not really sure what is going on here but it sounds like ti could be coming from the power steering pump. The PS fluid is also full. Was this caused by my repair? Is my PS pump going out? I'm really unsure where to go from here so here I am! I would really appreciate any information on this problem.

·
Premium Member
18,489 Posts
Use a wooden dowel against your ear as a stethoscope to help isolate the source of the noise (place other end of dowel against non-moving part, such as body of p.s. pump). Could also temporarily remove p.s. pump drive belt to see if noise goes away.

Other suspects: Anything that's moving (a.c. compressor, belt idler/tensioner pulleys, alternator, cooling fans, etc.).

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Use a wooden dowel against your ear as a stethoscope to help isolate the source of the noise (place other end of dowel against non-moving part, such as body of p.s. pump). Could also temporarily remove p.s. pump drive belt to see if noise goes away.

Other suspects: Anything that's moving (a.c. compressor, belt idler/tensioner pulleys, alternator, cooling fans, etc.).
Ok. Thankfully all I need to locate is a dowel haha! $12/hr doesn't go very far on a part time schedule! I'll have to see what's up. Thanks!

·
Premium Member
18,489 Posts
Sure seems to get louder when your phone?/camera? is closer to the p.s. pump. Dowel-stick stethoscooe time! 👍

Reactions: JordanS

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Sure seems to get louder when your phone?/camera? is closer to the p.s. pump. Dowel-stick stethoscooe time! 👍
It was my phone and yes! Definitely time fore the stick! If it is just a PS pump, Im sure it would still be ok to drive for now until I can afford a new pump to replace it, right?

·
Premium Member
18,489 Posts
You may have said before, but have you tried a complete p.s. fluid change, being sure to only use ATF+4 fluid? You'd be surprised over the years how much p.s. pump noise was fixed simply by fresh ATF+4 (especially if someone had put in non-ATF+4 fluids before).

Reactions: Ronbo

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
You may have said before, but have you tried a complete p.s. fluid change, being sure to only use ATF+4 fluid? You'd be surprised over the years how much p.s. pump noise was fixed simply by fresh ATF+4 (especially if someone had put in non-ATF+4 fluids before).
Well it is full right now so maybe I can suck out some fluid and put in some atf4 to see if that does anything.

·
Premium Member
18,489 Posts
Yes - a turkey baster is often used for that. Pull out as much fluid as you can from the reservoir, refill with fresh fluid, drive for a few minutes, turning the steering wheel from lock to lock a few times to circulate and mix the fluid throughout the system, then empty the reservoir again, repeat 4 or 5 times. Not the most efficient use of the fluid, and it won't replace 100% of the fluid, but enough to be effective. You could disconnect hoses and pump out old while you add new (and you would still need to exercise the rack during the process to flush out dead end volumes), but there are difficulties and risks of damage to certain disconnect points that make that probably not advisable. Probably no more expensive than an oil and filter change in any case, but very worthwhile.

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Yes - a turkey baster is often used for that. Pull out as much fluid as you can from the reservoir, refill with fresh fluid, drive for a few minutes, turning the steering wheel from lock to lock a few times to circulate and mix the fluid throughout the system, then empty the reservoir again, repeat 4 or 5 times. Not the most efficient use of the fluid, and it won't replace 100% of the fluid, but enough to be effective. You could disconnect hoses and pump out old while you add new (and you would still need to exercise the rack during the process to flush out dead end volumes), but there are difficulties and risks of damage to certain disconnect points that make that probably not advisable. Probably no more expensive than an oil and filter change in any case, but very worthwhile.
Ok. So Just replace the old fluid with new PS fluid or ATF4?

·
Premium Member
18,489 Posts
Use only ATF+4 for the power steering fluid in these cars. Have you added something other than ATF+4 in the past?

EDIT: I forgot that you replaced the rack before. If you used something other than ATF+4 when doing that, that is likely why you now have the noise. If so, there should be no permanent damage. Replacing the fluid should take care of it.

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Use only ATF+4 for the power steering fluid in these cars. Have you added something other than ATF+4 in the past?

EDIT: I forgot that you replaced the rack before. If you used something other than ATF+4 when doing that, that is likely why you now have the noise. If so, there should be no permanent damage. Replacing the fluid should take care of it.
I have. I added the Oriellys PS fluid. I think it was a couple bottles to replace the fluid I lost when I changed my rack. It said it was ok to put in Chrysler and Dodge vehicles.

·
Premium Member
18,489 Posts
I have. I added the Oriellys PS fluid. I think it was a couple bottles to replace the fluid I lost when I changed my rack. It said it was ok to put in Chrysler and Dodge vehicles.
Compatibility labels on transmission and power steering fluid are one of the most dishonest things in automotive aftermarket.

Even the "reputable" transmission repair and servicing chains used to routinely put a standard bulk shop fluid in LH transmissions - can't really blame the local franchises, as their corporate offices would train them to do that and to tell their customers that it was a "universal" fluid. A huge lie. I don't know if they're still doing that.

There are numerous posts over the years on this and other LH car sites in which the OP would say that their transmission recently started acting up. 9 out of 10 times, it turned out they had recently had them flushed or rebuilt, and if they bothered to ask the shop, they were assured that a universal fluid was used and would work fine. I think there were a few instances in which some Chrysler dealers were actually doing this. Pretty much every time, the posters were advised to flush (or have the shop flush) the fluid again using only certified ATF+4, and the problems magically disappeared.

Similarly, when an OP said their p.s. pump was noisy, it usually (not always, but almost always) turned out that it had had some significant amount of fluid replaced (by repeated topping off or flushing) with non-ATF+4 fluid whose label ambiguously claimed compatibility, and once it was significantly flushed with ATF+4, the noise went away.

Basically: If the label doesn't say it IS ATF+4 or if it only says it is "compatible with" ATF+4 or is "universal" or "usable in Chrysler vehicles" or things to those effects, don't use it in the LH transmission or power steering.[/rant]

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Compatibility labels on transmission and power steering fluid are one of the most dishonest things in automotive aftermarket.

Even the "reputable" transmission repair and servicing chains used to routinely put a standard bulk shop fluid in LH transmissions - can't really blame the local franchises, as their corporate offices would train them to do that and to tell their customers that it was a "universal" fluid. A huge lie. I don't know if they're still doing that.

There are numerous posts over the years on this and other LH car sites in which the OP would say that their transmission recently started acting up. 9 out of 10 times, it turned out they had recently had them flushed or rebuilt, and if they bothered to ask the shop, they were assured that a universal fluid was used and would work fine. I think there were a few instances in which some Chrysler dealers were actually doing this. Pretty much every time, the posters were advised to flush (or have the shop flush) the fluid again using only certified ATF+4, and the problems magically disappeared.

Similarly, when an OP said their p.s. pump was noisy, it usually (not always, but almost always) turned out that it had had some significant amount of fluid replaced (by repeated topping off or flushing) with non-ATF+4 fluid whose label ambiguously claimed compatibility, and once it was significantly flushed with ATF+4, the noise went away.

Basically: If the label doesn't say it IS ATF+4 or if it only says it is "compatible with" ATF+4 or is "universal" or "usable in Chrysler vehicles" or things to those effects, don't use it in the LH transmission or power steering.[/rant]
Ok. Thanks for the tip! At least I didn’t flush out my whole system with the stuff. I only put in 1 and a bit bottles so I think it’ll be ok. I’ll probably go broke buying ATF lol

·
Woober Goobers!
52,010 Posts
You can buy the Walmart ATF+4 and it'll work fine just like Mopar and other brands. To be licensed as ATF+4 it has to meet strict requirements and specifications. If I remember it's about $4/quart at WallyWorld.

Reactions: peva

·
Woober Goobers!
52,010 Posts
Looks like the price went up.$5.86/quart

Super Tech ATF Plus 4 Automatic Transmission Fluid, 1 Quart Robot or human?

Reactions: JordanS
1 - 19 of 19 Posts