DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all, I'm just finding out about all the aftermarket strut mount issues here and am really backed up into a corner, so hoping to get some quick answers here. Short story I bought and installed a set of Gabriel quick struts and BOTH rear strut mounts are bad. As soon as I test drove the car they were knocking all over the place. The rubber on both is completely separated from the metal. Now I read a lot about bad fronts, but not rears. That said I'm now worried about the fronts not even being safe, nevermind the rears. My fronts seem ok, but seems like they will fail in short order from what I am reading and then I get to not only pull all this garbage back apart, but pay for another alignment.

That said, I'm pretty irritated having wasted quite a bit of time installing this entire suspension, but are we even able to get factory mounts anymore? I cannot find them anywhere. Any help or thoughts on this is appreciated. This is my daily driver and I really need this car safe and reliable.

·
Registered
310 Posts
Hey all, I'm just finding out about all the aftermarket strut mount issues here and am really backed up into a corner, so hoping to get some quick answers here. Short story I bought and installed a set of Gabriel quick struts and BOTH rear strut mounts are bad. As soon as I test drove the car they were knocking all over the place. The rubber on both is completely separated from the metal. Now I read a lot about bad fronts, but not rears. That said I'm now worried about the fronts not even being safe, nevermind the rears. My fronts seem ok, but seems like they will fail in short order from what I am reading and then I get to not only pull all this garbage back apart, but pay for another alignment.

That said, I'm pretty irritated having wasted quite a bit of time installing this entire suspension, but are we even able to get factory mounts anymore? I cannot find them anywhere. Any help or thoughts on this is appreciated. This is my daily driver and I really need this car safe and reliable.
Well, if you're worried about it, I would chek on them every once in a while and pay attention to how it drives. Obviously you should have those rear mounts replaced or repaired to make it safe but just monitor the fronts if you're concerned about it. As far as I know, I haven't had any issues with the mounts but then again I've never checked the rear ones. I know there are some guys on here that have way more experience than I do but that's my 2 cents.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well, if you're worried about it, I would chek on them every once in a while and pay attention to how it drives. Obviously you should have those rear mounts replaced or repaired to make it safe but just monitor the fronts if you're concerned about it. As far as I know, I haven't had any issues with the mounts but then again I've never checked the rear ones. I know there are some guys on here that have way more experience than I do but that's my 2 cents.
Yeah that's probably what I'm going to do, but read a horror story of one that failed and the car pulled into the next lane abruptly. I think I found all the replacement mounts on Mopar parts giant, but they're insanely expensive. I can buy an entire car for what the mounts cost.

The rear mounts are $235 a side. They should at worst case be $50. That's an insane price. I've never paid more than $35 for a rear strut mount. Now I'm starting to lean towards pulling my old rears off and checking condition. It's pretty ridiculous when you trust a 20 year old part vs a new aftermarket. My old fronts I think at least one side has a blown bearing.

·
Registered
310 Posts
Yeah that's probably what I'm going to do, but read a horror story of one that failed and the car pulled into the next lane abruptly. I think I found all the replacement mounts on Mopar parts giant, but they're insanely expensive. I can buy an entire car for what the mounts cost.

The rear mounts are $235 a side. They should at worst case be $50. That's an insane price. I've never paid more than $35 for a rear strut mount. Now I'm starting to lean towards pulling my old rears off and checking condition. It's pretty ridiculous when you trust a 20 year old part vs a new aftermarket. My old fronts I think at least one side has a blown bearing.
WTH!!! $235 for a single mount??? That's absolutely nuts. I would contact them to see if that's the real price or if someone messed up typing out the price.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Wish I could vent my true opinion on the matter! But, in short - the situation with the aftermarket struts and mounts for the 2nd gen LH platform is a f***** joke! It would be different if anyone actually ever posted a real solid solution for rebuilding with OEM mounts off of ebay or the junkyard combined with mopar parts that are not discontinued yet from mopars website combined with some after market strut! But expecting that is expecting there to actually be a solution! IMO at this point it is a very hard call on what to do. This is coming from someone driving an 02 with aftermarket front struts that make terrible noises (I pray they do not fail and cause an accident) and a stock rear end that is completely blown out (besides brakes obvi) - but probably more reliable than any aftermarket garbage that would be put on it!

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Wish I could vent my true opinion on the matter! But, in short - the situation with the aftermarket struts and mounts for the 2nd gen LH platform is a f***** joke! It would be different if anyone actually ever posted a real solid solution for rebuilding with OEM mounts off of ebay or the junkyard combined with mopar parts that are not discontinued yet from mopars website combined with some after market strut! But expecting that is expecting there to actually be a solution! IMO at this point it is a very hard call on what to do. This is coming from someone driving an 02 with aftermarket front struts that make terrible noises (I pray they do not fail and cause an accident) and a stock rear end that is completely blown out (besides brakes obvi) - but probably more reliable than any aftermarket garbage that would be put on it!
To get a set of complete Mopar strut mounts is $900..... I can buy an entire car for that. How long did your front aftermarket mounts last before failing and what brand were they?

On a side note where are you located? I've got the struts that came off my car. Garage kept since new with 80k on them. The fronts are meh but rears seem ok still. Overall not totally junk. Might be better than what you have. You're welcome to them if you're local.

·
Registered
53 Posts
they were defective from install... I will find out what brand exactly but it was either Gabriel or Detroit axle I believe off the top of my head. The other thing, the forums don't exactly point out that the rear aftermarket struts are defective also! So I am glad to know that before I went ahead and replaced the entire back end!

It's just ridiculous because I owned a 97 intrepid that we replaced all 4 struts with aftermarket monroe quick struts and they were absolutely fantastic! So what the heck happened!?! So frustrating because all these new vehicles are big piles of :poop: with way too many electronics. I love my LH platform but they're trying hard to make these cars obsolete!

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
they were defective from install... I will find out what brand exactly but it was either Gabriel or Detroit axle I believe off the top of my head. The other thing, the forums don't exactly point out that the rear aftermarket struts are defective also! So I am glad to know that before I went ahead and replaced the entire back end!

It's just ridiculous because I owned a 97 intrepid that we replaced all 4 struts with aftermarket monroe quick struts and they were absolutely fantastic! So what the heck happened!?! So frustrating because all these new vehicles are big piles of :poop: with way too many electronics. I love my LH platform but they're trying hard to make these cars obsolete!
Oh I'm right there with ya. I can't stand modern cars. My front Gabriel's sound ok on the test drive, but the rear mounts are bad. Are the struts themselves actually junk or just the mounts? From what I've read it's really the mounts that are the issue. But yeah overall quality of literally everything these days is garbage.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Oh I'm right there with ya. I can't stand modern cars. My front Gabriel's sound ok on the test drive, but the rear mounts are bad. Are the struts themselves actually junk or just the mounts? From what I've read it's really the mounts that are the issue. But yeah overall quality of literally everything these days is garbage.
Basically... It's pretty sad I have to contemplate ripping entire strut assemblies out of the junkyard. I should not even have to have such thoughts. :(

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Basically... It's pretty sad I have to contemplate ripping entire strut assemblies out of the junkyard. I should not even have to have such thoughts. :(
No but here's a thought I had based on my recent new out of box strut mount failure. How are your mounts failed? Is the rubber destroyed or did it seperate from the metal? I was going to press the rubber out, get an industrial rubber to metal glue and press it back in. Then fill all the edges. The mount "failure" I experienced is from what looks like them press fitting the rubber and not gluing it in. If that's the case, that could be the solution to all these aftermarket mounts failing.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Ok another update on this, found my front strut mount to also be "bad" brand new. The nut wasn't even tight on the shaft, it was moving all over the place. Other side might be ok, but went to look at how I could maybe tighten the nuts and the strut flats were rounded off. Again these are brand new quick struts. Unbelievable. Now my front suspension has to come back apart. Returning all of it and buying just struts and reusing my 20 year old stuff. Just ordered new Mopar strut bearings for good measure, but I refuse to pay the insane prices for the mounts. Mine were good as far as I know and look fine, so crossing my fingers on this. This really screwed me not having a car. These aftermarket companies are unbelievable they can even sell this garbage.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts