DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can anyone tell me if some movement is allowed on the strut mount. I recently did different struts with OEM mounts, but not sure if ok this much movement there’s no noises as yet. I’ll will post a small clip as soon I’ll figure out how.

·
Woober Goobers!
50,009 Posts
Without checking one of my struts, I would say that's normal. There should be some movement to account for the rotation/angle of the strut when the wheels are turned.

I'll check later this weekend on the special with stock mounts. If someone else does it before then even better!

Reactions: JRacecrazy

·
Premium Member
16,679 Posts
Is the nut torqued, and if so, is it clamping the mount tightly (at the ID of the mount)?

It was discovered a few years ago by a guy named Stan (RIP) that with some aftermarket struts, the nut bottomed on the strut rod before clamping the mount at the mount ID. That was the case when I installed KYB struts.

The solution was to put a hardened washer on the end of the stut rod before putting the nut on to provide the necessary clamping effect on the mount when the nut is tightened and torqued.

I can't tell by watching the video what is moving relative to what. Is what I described about the nut not clamping tightly to the mount what you are observing?

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Is the nut torqued, and if so, is it clamping the mount tightly (at the ID of the mount)?

It was discovered a few years ago by a guy named Stan (RIP) that with some aftermarket struts, the nut bottomed on the strut rod before clamping the mount at the mount ID. That was the case when I installed KYB struts.

The solution was to put a hardened washer on the end of the stut rod before putting the nut on to provide the necessary clamping effect on the mount when the nut is tightened and torqued.

I can't tell by watching the video what is moving relative to what. Is what I described about the nut not clamping tightly to the mount what you are observing?
Yeah when I have the wheel turn side to side is like the shaft do some twist but no noise at all. And I have that special strut tool that’s how I torque down is thighly to the mount

·
Read Only
2 Posts
Can anyone tell me if some movement is allowed on the strut mount. I recently did different struts with OEM mounts, but not sure if ok this much movement there’s no noises as yet. I’ll will post a small clip as soon I’ll figure out how.
I had the exact same thing happen. Take a look at the strut tower studs and nuts. The 4 studs were moving in the holes. It looks like it’s a loose strut nut but it wasn’t. What I ended up doing is getting washers that fit in the hole to take up the slack.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I had the exact same thing happen. Take a look at the strut tower studs and nuts. The 4 studs were moving in the holes. It looks like it’s a loose strut nut but it wasn’t. What I ended up doing is getting washers that fit in the hole to take up the slack.
OkI’ll will take a look at that too

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
never mind
I have taken the struts apart again and did what you suggested and enginetech72 and the same result I’ll think is not much I can do except find the oem seat& bearing maybe that’s whats what am thinking is wrong I mix a oem mount with aftermarket seat & bearing 🤦🏻‍♂️Opps

1 - 10 of 10 Posts