DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, my '94 ES has gotten up to 133k miles on it's original struts and recently I have noticed atleast one of them is leaking. I am going to be replacing them and was wondering what everyone's opinion as to what needs to be replaced and with what brand should I have it replaced.

IE:
1. front struts
  • KYB GR-2 Right P/N 234601 $64 Tirerack.com
  • KYB GR-2 Left P/N 234602 $64 Tirerack.com
  • Tokico Right P/N HB3092 $98 Carparts.com
  • Tokico Left P/N HB3093 $98 Carparts.com
    [/list=a]
    2. rear struts
    • KYB GR-2 P/N 234603 $64 Tirerack.com
    • Tokico P/N HB2162 $91 Carparts.com
      [/list=a]
      3. strut mounts
      • KYB Front P/N SM5110 $80 Tirerack.com
      • KYB Rear P/N SM5111 $33 Tirerack.com
        [/list=a]
        4. strut boots
        • KYB P/N SB101 $10 Tirerack.com
          [/list=a]

Do the Tokico struts come with their own boots? Should I have the strut mounts replaced. I was thinking that it would be a good idea to just have them replaced anyway. I was looking at doing everything with the KYB, however, I was told that KYB struts seem to be of lesser quality than the Tokico, which are actually what is on the car from the factory.

I know that I could go all out and get Koni... However, the Koni strut is just a cartridge. You have to find a shop with enough know-how to properly disassemble the old strut and put in the Koni cartridge. I would love to go with them but I can put 2 sets of either of these struts on my car and still be under the price for a set of Koni's.

Thanks In Advance,

·
Registered
3,018 Posts
Tokico, which are actually what is on the car from the factory.

i know that is on a few of the cars, but i don't think the ones that come from the factoy are the same as the ones you would get to replace. usually the ones used for factory stuff is lower performance wise. So there replacements (which i am also looking at, waiting to hear from Eibach) would be better. Kinda like the Inifnity speakers in our cars, there made by infinity, but they are of no real quility compared to what they actually offer the public.

·
Registered
1,461 Posts
Your strut mounts dont have to be changed unless there's something wrong with them.

KYB's are good, though I've never rode in an Intrepid with Tokico or Koni's.

All I know is KYB is at least half the price of the other struts. I got my KYB's for $90 each, canadian. Tokico and Koni's were over $200 canadian each.

You should probably get all your struts changed, you don't want different reaction rates (ex. the front of your car stops bouncing before the back does) Also, I didn't have to change anything else, no mounts or boots.

Labour to install them is $180 canadian.

While your at it, think about the Eibach Lowering springs, I got them for $500 canadian, and it doesn't cost any more to put them in, if you do the springs and struts at the same time.

·
Registered
587 Posts
Get Koni Struts (cartridges). If your gonna do it, do it right. The koni's are quite a bit more, but they are much better for performance and they also have adjustable stiffness.....if not, I'd go with KYB, they are a lot better than Tokico, which are stock on a lot of intrepids. But you might hear different opinions from mine! :)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts