DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
im am working on a 2002 dodge intrepid 2.7L
when swapping the cv axle on the passenger side i noticed the stub shaft moves around.
is that normal i can figure what would cause it or if there is a tolerable amount. i could post a video showing the movement but not sure how to go about that in the aspect is there any special thing that needs to happen to post the video?
i will note there is more movement on the passenger stub shaft than the driver's side stub shaft.

·
Registered
885 Posts
yep, normal.
inner is quite loose on the passenger side.
as long as the seal isn't leaking, it's not too loose.

·
Premium Member
18,048 Posts
Below is a previous post explaining why there is significantly more play in the paasenger-side stub shaft than in the driver's side one - it is normal:

(post no. 11 here: Transmission swap reprogram)
Below is a blowup of the differential. The short shaft (3) is the passenger side. Notice that the carrier is supported on bearings (22 & 23). The inboard ends of both shafts plug into the pinion gears (9), and the shafts float in bushings (7 & 14) not far from the pinions. Notice that the driver's side (long) shaft (20) has additional support of a bearing (19) in the tranny case near its outboard end. The only support the short shaft has is the bushing and the pinion gear - and at very close spacing. That's why the short shaft seems to move around a lot more than the driver's side shaft when you shake it with your hands.

(Realize that the differential carrier is rotating with the shafts on straight and level driving. Only when you turn a corner is there very small speed difference between the shafts and their bushings (differential action) - so the bushings and shafts don't see much wear, but they do have some clearance play from the factory.)

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thank you. i was worried about potential issues. good to know its all good.

·
Premium Member
18,048 Posts
You're welcome.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts