DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Driving home yesterday and the check engine light comes on and the car is stuck in second gear. So I know that there is a problem with the tranny, this is prob going to cost me hudge. :mad:

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Ok I have time to post how the story went. I was driving down a county road, when I slowed down to come up to the stop sign, there was a big clunk in the tranny, this did this everytime I slowed down. After about 2 or 3 times of slowing down and clunking the engine light poped on. I stoped the car and shut it off. When I turned it back on it was in second gear. Im thinking maybe is a pressure valve problem in the tranny. can anyone help me out here? :confused:

[ October 28, 2001: Message edited by: blkbute ]

·
Registered
2,427 Posts
sounds like limp-home mode. i don't know anything about trannies so i can't really give any suggestions as to what it might be, but i give my condolences to your car and your pocketbook.

·
Registered
3,207 Posts
Do you use the auto stick to slow the car down alot? That is what my friends at the Dodge dealers said, breaks alot of the trannys. Did you get the extended warranty? If you did it should cover the cost of the tranny.Good luck.

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
yeah I use autostick to gear down

·
Registered
11,960 Posts
Do you find that when you gear down into 1st, the car really jumps, my 2002 jumps, and it sorta worries me, so I'm trying to stay away from gearing down into 1st.

·
Registered
2,427 Posts
one time i threw it into 1st and it scared the crap out of me. i was driving and had it in D thru a residential neighborhood. i was doing about 25 so i figured it was probably in 4th (before i reset the comp it would always shift into 4th at low speeds as long as it was a consistent speed), so i dropped it down and clicked left twice. NEVER downshift without looking at the indicator first!! it made the 1st shift just fine, then i was greeted with a thud, a whine, and an "oh chit!" i figured i had dropped the tranny for sure. 30k miles later it's still doing just fine, but i certainly wouldn't recommend downshifting into 1st, never ever.

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
yeah, I notice when i droped it into 1st that it was have a bit of a jump, I thought it would be because of just the lower gear ratio, that it just slows it down alot. hmm, well I will see what happens for tomorrow when I take it in, hopefuly it will not kill my bank account.

·
Registered
127 Posts
FYI:

My 99 ES did the same thing at 27,000 miles. The car worked fine until it clunked into 2nd after I was slowing down in the *wonderful* DC beltway traffic. I pulled over, turned the car off, started it back up, and shifted fine from 1 through 4, but as soon as I hit traffic and had to slow down, BOOM! Right into 2nd again. It was a interesting 50 mile hike home to say the least.

Turns out that it was a "Transmission Position Sensor" which controlls the 2/1 kickdown. It was under warranty for me, but it would have cost $200 total if I had no warranty

I drive the Autostick hard. How hard? I had the service center look at the transmission at 50K because it was shifting rough...turns out I burnt the transmission fluid. It was black, not red. :D

[ October 29, 2001: Message edited by: MacGyver467 ]

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well I took the car in and got it back, turns out it was the "Input Speed Sensor" glad it was nothing major, too bad it was not under warrenty. Oh well it was alot cheaper than a new Tranny would have been.

[ October 29, 2001: Message edited by: blkbute ]

·
Registered
4,498 Posts
Originally posted by blkbute:
Well I took the car in and got it back, turns out it was the "Input Speed Sensor" glad it was nothing major, too bad it was not under warrenty. Oh well it was alot cheaper than a new Tranny would have been.

I know your glad it wasn't the transmission. Only one out of five of our 99 intrepid had to have one. And that speed sensor is a B^tch to install.
Oh yea, would you believe we put about 170,000 miles on our 5 1999 Intrepid before we replaced them with 2000, and we didn't have a bit of problem with the transmissions...And they were driven 600+ miles a day.
:eek:

·
Registered
493 Posts
Originally posted by blkbute:

I was going to say speed sensor, it happened to me on my base 99 intrep.

·
Registered
15 Posts
FYI...It happened to me twice. The first time was at about 20K and again at 50K. Always at the most innopportune times, though. :mad:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts