DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
3,503 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I did a stupid thing this morning....I mis judged the depth of the water across the road. Holy ****! Scary moment, and I don't think it's over yet. I hit the "puddle" about 35-40mph, barely getting through it. I'm not sure how deep it was. The spray was huge, but the water wasn't rolling over the hood. The car sputered through the "puddle", sputered about 100 feet after the "puddle", and than as I was half way through the 90 degree turn, car died! No steering! No brakes! And a car was coming the other way!!! Luckily the car was through the turn more than I was and didn't really come that close of hitting it. So I put her in parked, prayed, and turned the key. It wanted to start, but wasn't starting. I pumped the gas peddle a few times and she started. At this point she is sputering and vibrating. I ease on the gas, she gets up to about 4k in first gear and she finally shifts into second. Oh thank god she's starting to smooth out as I pull into work about half mile later. I sat in the parking lot for a few minutes with the car idleing, hit the gas a couple of times, turned her off. Thank god she started right back up.

She seems about 99% normal. I'm not sure if that remaining 1% is just in my head or not. I have noticed what seems like a slight whistling sound now when I hit the gas. That whistling sound got a **** load louder when I punched her (just a few moments ago so it wasn't right after I drowned her). That was the fist time I punched it up to red line since I drowned her. But if I hit the gas most of the way and let her shift around 4k or so, no such increase in the whistle.

Any ideas? To be honest I'm a little scared. The whistle seems to be coming from the passenger side. Could I have ****ed up a cat? Could I have ****ed up the power booster? Hopefully I can get it up on the lift tomorrow and have a look and see if anything stands out.

****!

Oh well. If she dies, I guess I can use that as an excuse to get a Charger R/T or something. It's not the best time in the world to get a new car and **** seems to happen at the worst possible time. So what color should I get?

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
vac. leak maybe?

Reactions: Warlord187

·
Registered
2,917 Posts
Whoa....easy there...you hit a puddle and want to get another car ????? That seems a bit overboard to me but if you just need an axcuse to get a new car then more power to you !! I would say it's probably a power steering belt or something to that extent, I doubt something serious enough could happen to the engine unless water got in the intake and sucked into the pistons. Just leave the car running for a while to make sure the heat in the engine bay evaporates the water from any wires and electronics (if any water got to that). :bgtup:

·
Registered
168 Posts
I would check the air intake tube from the airbox maybe it came loose and that is the whistling you are hearing, it would make since that it would get louder when you punch it. Or like Ryan said check your other vaccum hoses

·
Banned
4,553 Posts
Warlord187 said:
Oh well. If she dies, I guess I can use that as an excuse to get a Charger R/T or something. It's not the best time in the world to get a new car and **** seems to happen at the worst possible time. So what color should I get?
Mis-judged the "puddle" depth.....RRrrrrrrriiiiggghhht!
I see where this is goin'! lol! After you have that nice new Charger R/T in the driveway, we'll be hearing just how big this "puddle" really was! :biggrin:

Having never run through a deep puddle, I can't really offer too much based on experience, but I'd check all your vacuum lines over the next couple days if it persists. Chances are it will go away after things dry out. Keep us posted! :)

·
Registered
3,503 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yeah, I'm fairly certain water didn't get sucked into the air intake, or at least not that much, since the engine is still working. I guess I'm just set on keeping the car for a couple of more years (at least) so now would be the ironic time for something to happen to it.

Kensher...I've certain that ain't it since I have an aftermarket intake. :)

The good news is that the car didn't even flinch when it hit the water. She stayed nice and straight. I'm really loving these tires. :)

You guys have given me some ideas to check out. Much appreciated. + Rep to you all!!! :)

·
Registered
2,536 Posts
Change all of the fluids NOW; tranny, diffy, engine oil, suck out as much PS fluid as you can and replace, etc, etc.

Pull the engine crank sensor and the two tranny sensors, hit the connectors with a good wire drying spray and then a good contact cleaner NOW before any corrosion starts.

Run the car until it is hot and sit it in the sun with the hood up.

·
Registered
2,917 Posts
[QUOTE='98-ESer]Change all of the fluids NOW; tranny, diffy, engine oil, suck out as much PS fluid as you can and replace, etc, etc.

.[/QUOTE]
Why ?????????????????????????? All of those systems are sealed, so unless you have a hole somewhere you're not suppose to, no need to change those.... :confused:

·
Registered
2,536 Posts
Nope, those systems are NOT sealed. Plent of vent holes.

Have a hot engine and tranny, hit it with cold water, the temp differential will cause ambient air (and the water) to get sucked right in.

Change the fluids. Probably a total of $100. Cheap insurance.

·
Registered
11,960 Posts
HAHAHA, nice pic Randy!

·
Registered
891 Posts
Since god forbid the road department keep the roads properly drained I’ve gone through some pretty big ponds, I mean puddles with my trep. There have been some that have been big enough that water was pummeling my windshield and once was even coming from under the hood onto the windshield, and I’ve never had a problem. I think it was probably a vacuum line that got knocked loose, or maybe one of your intake line has come loose from one of your throttle bodies. Before getting too crazy with more labor intensive fluid changes I’d probably let it be for a day or two and drive it like you normally do. It could be that your belts got wet and maybe your ac belt was slipping a little. After all you didn’t do a Starsky and Hutch jump of your trep into the ocean; all you did was go through a puddle that was probably just a couple inches deep.
Now in my opinion your fluids should be fine. Your oil system is sealed because of emissions laws, your power steering only has the tiniest of vent holes to allow the air to expand and contract with the temperature changes, the differential is either sealed in the tranny or sealed outside the tranny, but I doubt it got any wetter then it would’ve driving on wet roads, and the only place water could get in the tranny it’s self is the dipstick tube, and unless it’s off that’s pretty well sealed too. So although I might have missed something there as far as fluid venting holes, I really doubt you have more then maybe a drop of water in your oil or tranny fluid, but no more then you would normally have from condensation.

·
Registered
528 Posts
Ha, I loved the puddle in this one parking lot around where I live. About A foot deep. I always go through it about 30-40 and get to see a good 6-8 foot splash.

·
Registered
11,960 Posts
Whhhhhheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!!!!!!!!!!

Driving along last night, I hit a puddle on the side of the road (a LOT bigger than I expected)......and I drenched the people walking on the sidewalk :p OOPS. I honestly didn't mean to do it :)

·
Registered
3,503 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I have plans to get the diffy fluid and the PS fluid changed anyways.

This morning I noticed a noise which seems to be coming from the passenger side in the engine bay. The best way I can describe it is that it sounds like a diesel. Not exactly, but close enough to where that is the only way I can describe it. It kind of sounds like it may be the belt, but it also kind of sounds like it is coming from the passenger bank of cylinders in the engine.

She runs smooth and without hesitation though. We are in day three of five days straight of rain. Sun is a foreign word to me.

I was going to have a co-worker look at it today (was kind of hoping to pull the car into the new garage :) ), but he is out today. :(

·
Registered
891 Posts
When you say it sounds like a diesel do you mean it is making the kind of rattley noise that diesel engines make, or the high pitched whine of the turbo on a turbo-diesel? If it’s a rattle noise then something big might have broken, if it’s a whistle-whine noise then my money is still on a vacuum leak or a dislodged intake tube. If you’ve never done it, if you take sound deadening intake tubes off of the throttle bodies and start it up, the TB’s will whistle almost like a turbo.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts