DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,391 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys got a question here for the Sub box guru's.

I have a sealed sub box with 2 10 inch subs (box has a divider between the subs & is built to spec for subs).

I currently have my amps mounted to the box and I'm moving them to another location. Here is my question.. I have some Flex seal rubberized spray can I use that inside the box to seal the screw holes left from my amp? An will this kill the sound?

Side note I'm looking into getting some Polyfill fibers to add into the speaker box.

·
Read Only
835 Posts
I have a 12" sub in a sealed box. I used heavy silicon to seal the edges all around the box, the terminals, and any screw holes in the box. I think a spray would be even easier to use. I also filled mine with poly-fill. I went about 75% full with it loosely packed in there. I get a nice tight bass sound that you'd expect from a sealed box. I'm very happy with how it turned out.

·
Registered
1,391 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I used clear silicone to fill the bigger holes... but was going to use "Flex Seal" to make sure...

With it being rubberized that won't affect it?

·
Registered
6,239 Posts
Just stick to the silicone sealant, no reason to go with a spray. It might work,but if it sprays on thin I wouldn't be confident in it.

As far as polyfill goes, it's not an automatic improvement to sound. Do the math. If your box is large enough for your woofers then it will hurt your sound. Only use it when the sealed box is too small, and make sure you look at the reccommended volumes for sealed and not ported.

·
Registered
1,391 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I used clear silicone to fill the big gaps was going to use the spay just to catch the little ones. It's expanding. As for the box I don't know if its the right size for it I can't find any specs on my 10's.

·
Registered
6,239 Posts
I used clear silicone to fill the big gaps was going to use the spay just to catch the little ones. It's expanding. As for the box I don't know if its the right size for it I can't find any specs on my 10's.
Those numbers are almost always in the user manuals, which can almost always be found in PDF form. If you can't figure the volume out but can figure out the specs of the drivers you can use box building software to get a good estimate.

If you just throw poly fill in a box that doesn't need it the bass will sound worse.

·
Registered
452 Posts
Those numbers are almost always in the user manuals, which can almost always be found in PDF form. If you can't figure the volume out but can figure out the specs of the drivers you can use box building software to get a good estimate.

If you just throw poly fill in a box that doesn't need it the bass will sound worse.
^^ this

when building a box it is most important to get the right volume of air in that thing otherwise you are just wasting your time, sealing is 2nd important and the trickiest parts are always around the edge of sub and where wire connections are, a nice smoothed bead of silicone has always been the standard for around where the wood meets and it works well, i have seen a few different systems to ensure those openings for the subs and wires are tight as can be.

way i look at it of importance when building a box
1) volume
2) figuring sealing on the wire connects/woofer
3) sealing the box

·
Registered
1,391 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
yeah found the stats and did the calculations... VAS on sub is 1.787 and after measuring the inside and using a calculator, my box (pre-fabed) is 1.038 difference of .749. I tired to put in a little Polyfill and wasn't happy with the results. so I tried a bit more... and found the bass was getting muffled on the lower frequencies. so took it out and box sounds fine to me..

Here is the specs on the speakers
Pyramid Pro 500 PW1077x
Rms 300w
FS 39 QMS 209, QES 0.91, QTS 0.63, SPL 88, VAS 1.787
Mounting Depth (D1) 4.33 Overall (D2) 4.75
Mounting Diameter (L1) 9.61 Overall (L2) 10.08

Box (dual box with divider) Per side Inner measurements & Box has a slight wedge)
Height 11", Width 15", Depth 1 (top) 9.5", Depth 2 (bottom) 12.25"

I used http://www.bcae1.com/ to figure out the volume...

·
Registered
6,239 Posts
If you have some basic woodworking skills give making a correctly sized box a try. It really isn't that hard.

What you did is the better option though. Not overdoing polyfill for now is the best you can do with that box.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I'm trying flex seal directly on the face of a lower end 200w super sound sub with a Sony 500w amp 🤣🤣🤣 I'm hoping a lil rubber on that crap foam and paper will let me push it harder. I'm only spraying 1 of 2 so I can compare

What you guys think?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts