DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey, I was just wondering if someone can give me a site or explain the whole thing with tuning a box. thanks.

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
for both, but preferably ported.. Im not quite sure as to the differance for the 2. like I know how they differ, but is Bandpass louder than ported?

·
Registered
562 Posts
a bandpass won't sound all that great in a closed trunk like on our cars. Bandpass sound good in SUV and hatchbacks and the such. I recomment getting a sealed enclosure, however that is just my opion. and everyone know what opinions are like.

·
Registered
457 Posts

go to www.ezboard.com sign up and go to http://pub51.ezboard.com/bcaraudioknowledge

ask and all your questions will be answered

or maybe not

port tuning is not simple

I am simple

hell O, my name is Rob and I like lovin' of the feline nature.

Whiskers are like handles, don't diss it till you try it.

·
Registered
121 Posts
pimped3point3 said:
I prefer sealed boxes as well.
Got me a sealed box, makes my 15" subs sound really good!
Definitely go for it. The ported box, you have to know the right size for the whole, if you don't get it right, it will sound like farts.:tongue:

·
Registered
3,503 Posts
I also prefer sealed boxes. But ported boxes do have their advantages.

Sealed boxes are also a whole lot easier to design (and are much more forgiving in their design). Besides, I prefer the sound of sealed boxes. :D

Now with ported boxes, ****. You have to make sure the internal volume is correct and that the port is tuned to your liking. Basically tuning the port is figuring out where in the frequency spectrum you want to be most prevelant and than getting the right port (inside diamter versus length). Now throw in those fandangled Aero ports, and that adds a little to the complexity. I could have sworn I saw a chart for tuning the port for your desired frequency. I'll try to locate it. :D

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
So basicaly with a vented box you only get to hear certain frequencys real good? as oppsoed to a sealed that playes them all?(in the range of the woofer of course) Im assuming a vented box makes things louder right? but only at certain frequencys?

·
Registered
4,811 Posts
So basically if you are not into competition or REALLY fine tuning the sounds you are getting from you subs, go with a sealed enclosure. It is much easier. Also ported boxes have to be larger in volume. If you are like me and don't care about trunk space, you won't care about that part. :p

·
Registered
3,503 Posts
blkbute said:
So basicaly with a vented box you only get to hear certain frequencys real good? as oppsoed to a sealed that playes them all?(in the range of the woofer of course) Im assuming a vented box makes things louder right? but only at certain frequencys?
I'm not sure if you have ever heard a bandpass box play, but they sound really boomy. That is because of the limited frequency range it plays well. A ported box isn't as obvious as a bandpass. I do like ported boxes too (I hate bandpass boxes) but I prefer sealed boxes. Like pimped said, ported boxes are usually larger in volume, but they also don't require as much power to get the same woofer output as compared to a sealed box. However, if sound quality is your main concern and you listen to a lot of rock, country, classical, alternative types of music, a sealed box is better since a sealed box has more control over the woofer. That means the subwoofer is able to "rebound" quicker and is able to pick up each and every drum beat and bass guitar note.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Warlord always showing off with all that knoweladge eh?:D

Sound good to me!:rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
well for my home stereo I have the JVC 460 watt mini system and its bandpass, the bass is phenominal out of it, but I have noticed its only good with some frequencys, its tuned real deep. But for car I want lotts of bass, from what I know Vented seems to be the way I want to go, but I want to pick up lotts of frequencys, not just have a specific area, but I am looking for qite boomy bass.

·
Registered
3,503 Posts
blkbute said:
well for my home stereo I have the JVC 460 watt mini system and its bandpass, the bass is phenominal out of it, but I have noticed its only good with some frequencys, its tuned real deep. But for car I want lotts of bass, from what I know Vented seems to be the way I want to go, but I want to pick up lotts of frequencys, not just have a specific area, but I am looking for qite boomy bass.
Sounds like ported box may be the way to go for you. Ported boxes are pretty boomy, but not as boomy as a bandpass box. But a ported box isn't as narrow in the fequency spectrum as a bandpass box. In my '91 Sundance I had 2-12" Cerwin-Vega XL subs hooked up to an Annihilator HA400C (130x2 RMS) in a ported box. It was plenty lound and sounded good. But I noticed that with like country and stuff, it sounded a bit muddy.

Interesting....I've never seen a home stereo use a bandpass setup.

·
Registered
121 Posts
blkbute said:
But for car I want lotts of bass,... but I am looking for qite boomy bass.
Get (2) 15" Subs in a sealed box, trust me that's some serious bass there:p

·
Registered
4,811 Posts
Warlord187 said:
However, if sound quality is your main concern and you listen to a lot of rock, country, classical, alternative types of music, a sealed box is better since a sealed box has more control over the woofer.
Yes, this is what you will want if you listen to stuff other than rap and R&B.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Great Box

Have you guys heard about Diamond's Transmission Line boxes, they are great. They are basically the perfect cross between a sealed box and ported. They have great sq and will hit.

Course this is just my opinion.

·
Registered
3,503 Posts
Re: Great Box

yourfatmother said:
Have you guys heard about Diamond's Transmission Line boxes, they are great. They are basically the perfect cross between a sealed box and ported. They have great sq and will hit.

Course this is just my opinion.
Hey mom, you have any web links for that? :)

·
Registered
456 Posts
Interesting....I've never seen a home stereo use a bandpass setup
Bose was the one who pioneered this technology so they could achieve the small sized mids and highs, while using smaller drivers to perform as though they where larger. It worked didn't it. Yeah I am a Bose fan, but how many other 20 year olds have their own bose Home theater system and tower speakers???

In terms of the "Bandpass" or "ported" applications here is a little on both.

In a bandpass enclosure, the front wave is restricted to a small area that is seald off, usually with plexiglass. By doing this it inhbits the front waves from interacting with the rear waves. The rear waves exit through 2-4 ports usually, that are tuned to the lower frequencies-usually 34Hz and down. Thus they sound quite "muddy", and "boomy" but that is due to their tuning. Being that the front and rear waves can't react with each other, the suspension of the woofer suffers, giving it a slower rebound, thus moving less air per cycle resulting in LOWER frequencies.

In a ported enclosure, the front and rear waves get to react with each other giving the woofer better "response" by means of its suspension. Yes, a ported box is designed with a "strong" frequency field, but it doesn't drop off quite like that of a bandpass. The bass is tighter, not like a sealed box, but enough so it doesn't make you tired of all the constant resnance of LOW frequencies.

Finally, yes, sealed boxes are the easiest by far to build and you can throw just about any type of sub into one. No calculations on how to put in a port, or trying to find enough room for the 20^ft (cubic feet) of space required for a bandpass! But they do cut out at a higher frequency than the others. Just look at my difference.

I have two MTX 8000 12" 4ohm subs powered with 450 watts RMS.
I can .....
A. Put in a sealed box, not over 2^ft each cause they start to muck up, and the bass starts to dorp off significantly after 40Hz.
Or

B. Construct a ported box with a volume of 2.5^ft each and have my port to the right specs and have clear bass right on down to the 26 Hz range. My subs are rated to go down to 23 Hz. That is making significant use of all that my subs have to offer!
So I'll let you decide. You purchased the subs, now do you want to use them or just have good looking woofers in your trunk? I would be glad to help you in any other way that I might and I would be very interested in having you drop me a line to let me know which way you decided to go.
Take it easy!
Jeff:cool:

1 - 20 of 22 Posts