DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
617 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
im looking to install my 15 inch subs into my car and need some ideas on how to build a box any suggestions will be used thanks
rtclone

·
Registered
468 Posts
first off what kind of subs
next how much wattage
next how much u willing to spend

go with big wires since there 15's make no air holes
make it as tight as possible so air cant get out

·
Registered
617 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
box

well the subs i have are jl audio w-3s they are 400 watt rms im not looking to spend a whole lot of cash but i do need a box and i dont want to take up the whole trunk building one i want to go sealed for a nice tight sound but ported will also do whatever will take up the least amount of room

·
Banned
3,574 Posts
Sealed takes the least amouth of room. Look to build a box with no more than 1 cubic foot per woofer and no less than 0.65 cu/ft per woofer.

·
Registered
3,503 Posts
LHSer said:
Sealed takes the least amouth of room. Look to build a box with no more than 1 cubic foot per woofer and no less than 0.65 cu/ft per woofer.
I think 15" are going to require more space than that! As for the size of the box, the internal volume will be determined by the specs given by JL Audio. But yes, sealed boxes are generally smaller than ported boxes. Sealed boxes are also a whole lot easier to build and are more forgiving when it comes to making any type of mistake.

For materials I would use at least 3/4" MDF, but in your case I would opt for 1" MDF.

If you would like me to draw up a design (after all I am a CAD engineer), give me some specs and any ideas you might have and I can draw something up. :biggrin:

If you'd like, you can email them to me at:
[email protected]

·
Registered
427 Posts
I have some subwoofer enclosure building software. I don't know if or how it would work on anything above Windows NT but if anyone is interested, send me an email and I'll send it back to you. It allows you to enter information about your subs and let you choose sealed, ported, isobarik, bandpass, ??order bandpass, you get the idea.

·
Registered
137 Posts
I don't know if this helps, but i just designed a 2 15" box for a kid and his cadilac( charged him $80). He has 2 15" fosgate hx2's which require each 2.25 cu ft. the box in total is 4.75 cu ft which would be more than enough for most 15's. I'd be willing to make the same box for you, if you'd want and ship it to you too. if not email me at [email protected] and i'll send u the specs. take it easy, i also built a 2 12 box 1 12 box and in the progress of making a 3 10 if anyone is interested.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts