DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi everyone, i have decided what subs i am going to buy for my intrepid finally. i dont want a pre fab box that anyone can pop my trunk and steal so i decided to build me own. my original plan was to make a box to where the subs were in the rear deck angled about 30 degreed facing the front of the car and port them in the middle. i heard that subs in the rear deck sound crappy but i wanted to put neons on the inside of the grilles for them.

so does mounting the subs in the rear deck sound like poopy? and if i port them into the cab will i get a bunch of unwanted port noises? overall i want to put 4 10" subs in it, 2 in the dash, and 2 in the trunk facing the trunk lid. but anyways, i really want to put them in the rear deck but if they sound like crap i prolly wont

thanx all

·
Registered
6,362 Posts
This is one of thoe situations where the easiest solution is probably going to be the best...

If you have any thought of putting subwoofers in your dash, consider this a call from reality. They will sound terrible. Without explaining sound stages and going into audio mumbo-jumbo, low end sound right next to your head will definately sound "poopy." As for the rear deck... mounting a subwoofer in the deck would not only be a bad idea for a number of reasons; Limited space to fit a 10" woofer, you would have to cut through sheet metal, if would be difficult to properly enclose a woofer, etc. It's possible that I am misunderstanding what you are trying to say, but regardlessthe a subwoofer in the rear deck is a bad idea.

·
Registered
518 Posts
subs in the dash? is that even possible, from an engineering standpoint?

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
alright, i want the subs to be visible from inside the car and i dont want to take my rear seat out. im getting some audiobahn aw1008t's so i wanted to see the woofer. so i if i cut a portion of the rear deck out for a window so see the magnets, and port them into the cab would it sound good at all. and would it structually weaken the car at all...

thanx

·
Registered
1,387 Posts
Let me give you some advice from someone who has done a custom subwoofer enclosure before... Please, Please, Please don't get too set in your first idea that you attempt it and it doesn't turn out how you want it or possibly has irreversible results. I suggest you take PLENTY of time researching, measuring(accurately), drawing, etc. I made several drawings and measurements before even installing my single subwoofer, and expect to do the same in a few weeks when i do my next project and a custom amp rack. To be completely honest with you, you are going to think it looks and sounds like crap if you rush into this. I would also honestly prefer that you keep all subwoofer ideas in the trunk. You can still be crazy with it, make a custom box or fiberglass enclosure with the subs pointing straight up so they are visible when the trunk opens, put a TV screen somewhere, the ideas are endless. Car audio is one of the more creative things in the modding world, and is also the modding world where things hinge most on matters of taste. I think a sub in the deck would look nice... on a different car... or I think subs in the dash would be crazy, in a bad way, and would need way too much custom fabrication for me to even bother with. Theres a fine line between custom work and destroying your car. Just a few tips, would love to see the finished product though.

Josiah

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thanx. i ride bmx and usually just through my bike in my trunk and i dont want to bahs the hell out of the subs and i dont want a bike rack cuz i would have to take my bike in the garage everynight so it wont get stolen. so i put a single 12" box in the trunk and my bike and it fit tightly, so maybe i will just get a high power 12" sub for now. i want to save as much room as possible so i want to make a box that goes all the way to the bottom of the rear deck and flush side to side, i want it to be hard as hell to steal too. so i think i'll make a box that faces the woofers twords the trunk lid. i have a pretty good idea on how im going to do it but thanx for advice. the subs have a 28% port velocity, so if i ported them into the cab would you hear a "farting" noise. i heard that it will be louder if there ported into the cab but im not sure. has anyone done it here?

i appreciate all your guys's help.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts