DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,495 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I noticed that on my computer system the subwoofer will thump hard and heavy for a song, then for that same song my car will rattle like crazy. Almost like more vibration than thump. It will only rattle bad for certain songs, others it will play nicely for in the car.

Im thinking my subs are too small and just rattle? Any ideas?

·
Registered
72 Posts
what kind of subs and enclosure do you have? it probably isn't the sub rattling (hopefully), it's most likely the metal of your car that is doing all the rattling. your house is a lot better at withstanding and absorbing vibrations than your car is. that's why dynamat and similar products are so popular, they stop that rattling. My suggestion would be to check and make sure what is making all the rattling noise, the sub or your car. if it's the sub, make sure everything is tight with the enclosure, and if it still does it, get the sub repaired or replaced. if it's the car then buy some dynamat or similar material. hope my stumbling sentences can be of some assistance.

·
Registered
1,495 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Very good points. I have two 10" older kicker subs enclosed in a regular box, "fake" wood and theres cotton in it, I bought it used so I dont know much. There are no extra holes in the box. As far as the car goes, My trunk lid rattles like crazy so that could be a problem. With dynamat, I don't know where I would put it.

·
Registered
260 Posts
meban is probably right, probably just the parts of the car vibrating.

that would be a sealed enclosure.... the "cotton" has an effect on the subs that make them think the box is bigger than it is. It also can reduce some unwanted resonant frequencies inside the box that can make the subs sound crappy.

Dynamat is sticky on one side. all you do is peel and stick to the trunk lid or area you want. it goes right on the metal. (for a trunklid you would need dynamat extreme, regular dynamat dont stick too well to the trunklid.

try opening up the tunk and listening to the subs at a good volume, do you hear vibrations or distortion from them? if you do then it might not be just the car vibrating, but if they sound ok, then that is probably it.

·
Registered
3,552 Posts
FAKE wood? hope you dont mean cardboard... No offence but i have seen a 10" sub in a KFC chicken bucket, and a 12 in a 5 gallon bucket. NOTHING suprises me anymore. OH, and i cant forget the 12 that was using the packaging it came in AS A BOX.

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
Subs are also designed for specific applications and enclosures can be tuned.

For example, I had some Yamaha Stage Speakers that pounded like crazy. However, when I put some MTX Subs in them, I had to seal off the portholes cause they were designed for a sealed enclosure. Without sealing the ports and letting the air flow freely, the subs weren't hardly making any kind of noise at all even though the original Yamaha speakers pounded like crazy with the ports unsealed.

Also, subs do have an optimal range to them. There is a song in particular that I remember is like a 2 minute bass drop where they start at a higher Hz rating and drop slowly down to like 20 Hz. Different subs will have a different zone where they pound like crazy. I'm sure that particular song you are talking about happens to be "in the zone" of where your computer speakers are tuned to while your car subs have a different zone or Hz where they are most effective.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts