DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I been noticing that my bass is really great when I first start driving:) After a while the volume lowers for no apparent reason. My subs do not cut out completely though. They keep working just at a lower volume:( Does anyone have a clue as to why this is happening? It's very annoying:angry: Somebody help! Thanks.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
It just happened again! When I last got out of my car the bass was not hitting very well. I just got in my car and now it's back where it should be???

·
Registered
562 Posts
sound like they are clipping

·
Registered
56 Posts
Could be a couple things.

Check that your AMP is not overheating, some amps throttle their output while in an overheat mode.

Could also be you subwoofer enclosure if it is a sealed type. If you have a VERY SMALL leak in your box. The ambient air-pressure in the box could be changing during prolonged hi-volume use.

Could also be your electrical system, if your electrical system draws more current than your alternator can produce you will slowly drain your battery and the voltage will drop, this is not uncommon in larger installs with failing alternators. When the system starts failing use a voltmeter to measure the voltage on the + and - power terminals of your amp while the system is running. If the voltage is down near 10V (or lower) than that may be the cause. :bigsmile:

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
BradC said:
Could be a couple things.

Check that your AMP is not overheating, some amps throttle their output while in an overheat mode.
Could also be your electrical system, if your electrical system draws more current than your alternator can produce you will slowly drain your battery and the voltage will drop, this is not uncommon in larger installs with failing alternators. When the system starts failing use a voltmeter to measure the voltage on the + and - power terminals of your amp while the system is running. If the voltage is down near 10V (or lower) than that may be the cause. :bigsmile:
I'm fairly certain it's not the box, it is sealed and I'll check that out though. How will I know if my amp is overheating? What can be done about it? If it is the electrical system, what should I do to troubleshoot that / what can be done? Thanks again.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Sk8-4ever said:
sound like they are clipping
I have wondered sometimes if my 12s can even even handle the wattage (don't know the specs on them). Is that what you are referring to? Thanks.

·
Registered
562 Posts
what are your gains set at?

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I reconfigured my crossover for lower frequencies and now the subs are hitting really hard. I can hardly hear the rest of the music:( They haven't cut out on me though!:)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts