DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Banned
3,574 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I just got back from my local Subie dealer where I tested a WRX and all I can say is WOW!

The car is amazing. Kind of a low, grunty-burbly exhaust note (common on flat-4s) at idle, and a nice raspy note under hard accel. The car is nice and sedate anywhere below 3000rpm, but sweep pass that line, throttle to the floor and you are GONE. (I hit 70mph in second gear redline :eek: ) I was really taken aback by the massive acceleration from that car. The only thing I can compare it to is a Corvette, and LS1 F-Body or a Cobra Mustang.

Or course the car is aslo feature rich. A/T/C AM/FM CD, power windows, locks, trunk, keyless entry with alarm etc etc. All for a base of around $23,000.

I've always been a fan of ALL performance cars, so I hold no prejudices for Japanese makes. Hell I learned to drive in a mint 1973 Toyota Corolla Fastback 1600, which was the WRX of its day.

Man..in 6-9 months..I might just have to stroll into that dealership and get myself one of those cars. I'd do it now, but I just got the LHS two months ago. :)

(Hope I don't get flamed too bad.) :D

[ July 12, 2001: Message edited by: LHSer ]

·
Banned
3,574 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well that is your opinion, and you are more than welcome to it.

Don't get me wrong, I love my LHS. The luxury and the power make it the best car I ever had. But, I am and always have been a speed freak. When I see a car (no matter the company) that can instill in me what this car did, for that price, well sir, it makes me want one.

·
Registered
2,676 Posts
Speed really makes no difference to me. It's not an influencing factor in what car I buy. If a car I like has speed, then it's just an added bonus.

I buy my cars like i buy anything else. I'm very brand conscious. That's my main factor in buying a car.

·
Banned
3,574 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So in other words you buy what marketing types figure is worthy of purchasing. Sorta like Tommy Hilfiger, Intel, Sony, The Gap, Old Navy, etc etc.

Hey, but it ain't no thing, some of my best friends are "brand conscious" I tend to, and always have been against the grain. I purchase more on an emotional level, what excites my senses rather than what makes me look good in the eyes of other.

PS. This isn't a flame, just expressing myself.

[ July 12, 2001: Message edited by: LHSer ]

·
Registered
2,676 Posts
Actually, I wouldn't touch the gap or old navy with a ten foot pole :)

I stick to Polo mainly and Tommy Hilfiger. That's all I wear. Sony electronics all the way!!

Wouldn't touch AMD either, Intel only!

I'm not taking this as a flame, don't worry :)

[ July 12, 2001: Message edited by: Intrepid98 ]

·
Banned
3,574 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hey, The Gap and Old Navy are good for the scenery, if you know what I mean. :)

Well, I have a few more cars to test before I make a desicion as to what to buy brand new. I'm going to check out an Audi A4 1.8T, VW Jetta VR6 (when the 204hp one gets here) 'Trep R/T and go over the Sebring LXi sedan and Stratus ES sedan agin. Perhaps I'll even flog a Taurus SES, a Pontiac Grand Prix GTP and a BMW 330xi around for a while. :)

·
Registered
220 Posts
U R A BUS...

SUB A R U...

Just an observation im sure that has been made before. :D

Actually Soobs aren't bad cars, at least they are different, like Mitsubishi and aren't nearly as bland, they dont fall into the Honda/Toyota mold.. (Can ANYONE tell the difference betweeen a Camry and an Accord anymore?) Nor are they hideously ugly, (Celica or Echo anyone?)

·
Registered
3,503 Posts
I haven't trid this in a while, but if I remember correctly I got my Intrepid R/T up to 70 in second gear, and it wasn't yet at redline. I'll have to try this again if I get the chance. I live and work in the Detroit area so traffic (and low speed limits) prevent me from doing this. :D

The Impreza was smaller than I thought it would be. Got to love the all wheel drive though.

·
Registered
4,980 Posts
The new Subaru WRX is a powerhouse...check out these specs:

2.0 4 turbo
227 hp @ 6000 rpm
217 lb-ft @ 4000 rpm
All Wheel Drive
Weighs 3085 lbs
0-60 mph 5.82 seconds (wow!)

It's a hideously ugly car though...I'm not big on the "rally racer" look. But it's one helluva performer for the price. Gotta give it credit for that.

But....I'm stickin' with the 'Stang until DC comes up with something in the ponycar field.

·
Banned
3,574 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I was somewhat hasty in saying that 70 was at redline, it was more like 5500-6200 rpm which is CLOSE to redline, which is amazing for a piddly 2.0L. :)

If you can find an WRX at a dealer without a wing, it doesn't look so bad. I think most people get caght offguard by the huge foglights. They make the front end have a :eek: look to them. Especially with the huge air opening.

·
Registered
2,220 Posts
I have only one comment to make here, and that's in response to Intrepid98. When you said Intel only, I breathed a sigh of relief. :)

I'm a computer/network technician, and I've been building computers for more than 5 years. I'm proud to say I've never built a computer with an AMD prcessor.

Why am I so loyal to Intel? Well, there are a few common-sense reasons. First of all, Intel takes the time necessary to make sure the rest of the platform a new chip is based on works (chipset, for example) and that there aren't problems with certain PCI and AGP cards. Secondly, I've never been unhappy with their performance (whereas I have on many AMD-based computers I've used). And third, there's never any question of compatibility with Intel processors. You know that right out of the box it's going to work and work well.

But anyway, I know this isn't a computer forum, much less an Intel or Intel vs. AMD forum, just making conversation. :)

·
Banned
3,574 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
As I recall Intel had or is having problems with a lot of P4 chips, and let us not forget that uproar over violation of privacy when Intel included the sequence that reports your computer/hardware configuration over the net.

·
Registered
2,676 Posts
Sure Intel has made it's mistakes, but I'd still rather buy from a company who is a leader, not one that built it's business copying another. That's how I look at it.

·
Banned
3,574 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
If you wanted to buy from a company that is a leader in the manufacturing and sales of microchips (processors, etc) you would buy from Motorola or Hyundai, since they are the world volume leaders.

Come on guys, the majority of people purchase Intel because they are told to through advertising and the like. When is the last time you saw a print, radio or television ad for AMD?

·
Banned
3,574 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Where in mainstream media have you seen AMD adds? By mainstream, I mean pop culture. Something the masses would see, not only those with an interest in computers and buy the magazines.

·
Banned
3,574 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Oops. :D

Anyway, the WRX is really nice, or at least I think so. If I do get one in the future, it will definatley be without the wing or other "rice wear."

Then again, I may wait until the LX comes out, see if that V8 is worth it, and how much DMC tries to hose us for it. I'm in the market for a car in the $25,000 range, and there is such a glut (here in MN anyway) of them, you don't know what to pick.

1 - 20 of 55 Posts