DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
496 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey im seriously upgrading my subs, Im looking at several different types, and so far i think im going with some Cerwin Vega 12" Strokers. they are 1000watts RMS, 1500peak, and are stable at 1ohm, if anybody has any issues with these, or knows of better speaker please let me know :)

·
9,861 Posts
Strokers are pretty damn loud. But look at other subwoofers if SQ matters. Not that they will sound bad...but they won't sound wonderful either.

·
Registered
11,960 Posts
JL 12W7's come to mind :p

·
Registered
496 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
what about Cerwin Vega Vega's, im thinking on running 2 12". I want loads of punch and a nice excurions. also i need an amp that can drive these puppies, what brands are recommended?

·
Registered
8,649 Posts
If all you are looking for is to be LOUD, then Strokers will do nicely for you. The amp depends on which model Stroker you are looking at. The 12" Stroker comes in either 4 ohm SVC or 4 ohm DVC...

·
Registered
65 Posts
JL 12's comes to mind

·
Registered
8,649 Posts
SVC=single voice coil
DVC=dual voice coil

Sounds like you have a lot of homework to do before building a system worthy of Strokers...

·
Registered
411 Posts
go stroker
bout to have an 18" in my lincoln

my personal fav are mmats though, i love em

but strokers definitely pound

·
Registered
714 Posts
Methman said:
they are 1000watts RMS, 1500peak, and are stable at 1ohm
Um... when has a subwoofer ever been rated at 1 ohm stable? Amps are rated for low resistance, not subwoofers.

By wiring subs in parallel, you can drop the resistance that the amp sees.

That reminds me, I need to buy a new internet compatible mouse pad.

Hardwarz

·
Registered
496 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
hey thats the info i got from the installers, i dont know much about the speakers so i just posted what i was told, if you have nothing worth while to post please do not post, you can make corrections but sarcasm is not needed.

·
Registered
8,649 Posts
Methman said:
i do have a good unserstanding of audio equipment.
If that was true you wouldn't have asked about SVC and DVC and you would have run from a shop that said a speaker was "1 ohm stable" rather than quoting it... :rolleyes:

·
Registered
496 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
all i wanted was some help, some people seem to want to help me, do you guys feel good creating insults. i said i have a good understanding, not a huge knowledge base, I was into home audio which doesnt even compare to the complexity of car audio, im trying to learn, and thanks for the discouragement.

·
Registered
714 Posts
It's all fun and games... well, till someone gets their eye poked out, then the real fun starts.

There was no harm meant by my comment. It started out as a useful correction until the "internet compatible mouse pad" thing came out... but come on, it was funny!!!

You can get all the brand name products you want, but it won't mean a thing until you get a decent installer to do the install.

I've put together competition systems using JL Audio 12" subs, Boston Acoustic front separates, BA rear coaxial, front horns and a single 5-1/4" coaxial center channel. The speakers were pushed by Precision Power amplifiers, front and rear equalizers, front and rear x-overs, a distribution amp (to split the original signal) and tons of wires.

I've seen similar systems put in by some installers that sounded like poo. I've also seen Jensen subs sound really good because of the install and the clean power put into them.

Lesson 1: Choosing the right equipment isn't the only question that you should be asking. How to setup a soundstage, proper placement and focus is a huge factor.

Lesson 2: I use to be a salesman, sometimes we'd make stuff up and tell the customers if they seemed like they the knew too much but really didn't. It was sort of a test... many people failed. I'm guessing the salesman was trying to make you look like an a$$. Either that or he doesn't know sh|t.

Hardwarz

·
Registered
8,649 Posts
When you say you have a "good understanding" of audio I think most people would assume you are familiar with some basic terminology. If you want to learn, great, there are a lot of us here here willing to teach.

Honestly though, Strokers is probably not the best sub to start out with for a first project. Typically they are used by individuals serious about SPL competition and familiar with building such systems...

·
Registered
496 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
kewl, and well im sorry, sometimes moods are lost in the internet message sea. right now i have 2 10" power pro subs in a quad ported bandpass box. I bought the whole thing for $190 and i bought a AG 350 X2 amplifier, its running at 2 ohms, and the speakers are SCV :) (thanks i now know what that means :)). Im running Pioneer 3way 6X9's in the rear deck, and Kenwood 3ways 5.25's in the doors, so far i have no tweeters(i hate treble, it hurts my ears). The mid and highend sound perfect to me, u just want to get more bass, right now i have tones up until i start getting the system to go loud, like half volume for example. and the other speakers get louder, but the subs dont seem to get louder. there are totally maxed out. the amp can hanlde more power but the speakers are killing themselves to keep up. I just want to make an upgrade worth while. So i was thinking strokers, I also dont wanna upgrade again for a while. I want a sun that can pound, and pound!! looks aren't a big thing, so far Im getting the feeling that JL's are preffered around here. But im not to sure the amp can handle it? So im probably going to look into some JL's, and a good amp, Now i cant afford a Pheonix gold, but i do want a good quality amp, but i can only spend about 200-275(CND) on it. So im kinda stumped..

·
Registered
8,649 Posts
Personally, I'm not a big fan of JL. I have owned JL in the past and it was sufficient for what I used it for (it was my first sub and was an original W0 model, what could I really ask of it). Don't get me wrong, JL has some very nice subs out there; the W7 and W6 v2 are two very nice models. Rockford also has some pretty decent subs (at least used to, I haven't had a chance to look at their newest line up from CES) that IMHO, would make a much better "starter" sub than a Stroker will. Especially if your budget for an amp is in the $200-275C range...

1 - 20 of 27 Posts