DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,387 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey fellas,

Call me a major car audio newb, but I've been curious about how all those show cars mount their subwoofers straight to the floor, with the "face" pointing downwards, exposing the magnet, the wiring, and basically the entire back of the subwoofer. I get car audio magazine, and I love how the boston acoustics subs looked face-down in a custom trunk they did with an Audi TT i believe. Is this at all possible with an intrepid? How is the box made? Is this just an open-air subwoofer? Is the wiring the same? What about cubic feet? Any answers would be great, i've asked and looked around a lot on the subject and haven't really gotten a solid answer. Thanks for any thoughts on this, I most likely won't end up doing this, at least not with the intrepid, but it would be cool to try.

Josiah

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
You can also make a false floor and then use what's under that as your enclosure, but it is probably easier to just use the spare tire well, the only thing that sux about that is getting a flat tire ;)

Here's 2 old ass Memphis HP's inverted like you were saying, I had them in my rango for like the first week I had it cuz I needed somethin' temporary. I didn't want to mount them like this especially, but my buddy had an old box laying around for 2 12s and the Memphis cutouts were slightly bigger and didn't fit the holes (and I was too lazy to cut em a little bigger :))

·
Registered
2,627 Posts
whats better in a trunk having them face out like normal or having them face in like above?
also whats the difference, quality and sound, loudness clear?

·
Registered
105 Posts
Mr.Dodge said:
whats better in a trunk having them face out like normal or having them face in like above?
also whats the difference, quality and sound, loudness clear?

In theory, speakers produce sound on both sides of the cone, front and back. (yes it is a true theory! ). But in reality, the front of the speaker is what is DESIGNED to eminate the sound, not the back. This is especially true at frequencies above 100Hz. But, subbass is pretty forgiving and doesnt really care which side of the cone it comes from, cause all it is really doing is just moving a lot of air, and at thiose frequencies, it is not critical so much.

Another but!!!!! BUT, if you are going for MAX SPL, fire them facing like they belong. Slightly more air is more :efficiently moved than firing them backwords.

IMO, other than demo type installs , there is NO reason to fire them inverted, They just take up more space and leave wiring exposed to catch on the 12 pack of beer in your trunk when you pull it out!

·
Registered
1,387 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I definitely wouldn't run an inverted (better word, thanks lol) setup since my system is mostly for my own SQ competitions in my eardrums lol. I'm not going to win any loudness awards but I'm just looking to make this music sound as good as it can, and if it thumps the neighborhood, its all good. I'm AT LEAST going for 2 10 inch subs, and will most likely operate a standard firing 3/4 mdf box. I would only use an inverted setup for experimenting or for show, I wouldn't leave it like that in my daily driver. I have another random audio question... is using polyfill the same as having more cubic feet? Is there any noticeable performance difference? I ask because I am hoping to design as small an enclosure as possible, but want to be pretty close to recommended specs (.65 for P110S4 sealed). My current box is a single 10 inch at approximately .4 with polyfill. It sounds OK but would it sound better with a completely remade box with around .65 cubes? How big a difference is the cubic feet sound quality wise? Would i be safe within a certain range? Also, is there a problem combining sealed and ported subwoofers, like having 1 10" sealed and 1 10" ported? anyone try this or know anyone who did? Thanks!

Josiah

·
Banned
3,025 Posts
I used to have two 15" JBL's in my Eclipse. I ran them like normal for the longest time then one time when I was re-installing them into the car, I inverted them just for the heck of it. The sound and the quality increased TREMENDOUSLY!

At first, I thought it was just cause I didn't have them in the car for awhile so it's just in my mind that they sound better. So I quickly installed them like normal and had my brother come out. We played the system for awhile, then inverted them. He wholeheartedly agreed that with them inverted, they pounded much louder, the bass was a lot tighter, the sound quality was much better. I'm not just talking about marginally better, I'm talking worlds better.

I'm thinking it was totally the design of the box and the subs. Cause I tried the same thing with some MTX's that I used to have in the Trep into these wedge type boxes and inverted totally sounded like crap. There was almost no noise coming from them inverted, whereas normall, they pounded.

As to the theory of what made it worlds better, I have no clue. I just know that in that particular application, having them inverted made the cabin of the car deafening.

·
Registered
2,627 Posts
i was going to post stuff between the trep trunk and the hatchback eclipse. but im to wasted to do that now and have you guys under stand it so i will b back later to teall you

·
Registered
105 Posts
JLWX5 said:
I definitely wouldn't run an inverted (better word, thanks lol) setup since my system is mostly for my own SQ competitions in my eardrums lol. I'm not going to win any loudness awards but I'm just looking to make this music sound as good as it can, and if it thumps the neighborhood, its all good. I'm AT LEAST going for 2 10 inch subs, and will most likely operate a standard firing 3/4 mdf box. I would only use an inverted setup for experimenting or for show, I wouldn't leave it like that in my daily driver. I have another random audio question... is using polyfill the same as having more cubic feet? Is there any noticeable performance difference? I ask because I am hoping to design as small an enclosure as possible, but want to be pretty close to recommended specs (.65 for P110S4 sealed). My current box is a single 10 inch at approximately .4 with polyfill. It sounds OK but would it sound better with a completely remade box with around .65 cubes? How big a difference is the cubic feet sound quality wise? Would i be safe within a certain range? Also, is there a problem combining sealed and ported subwoofers, like having 1 10" sealed and 1 10" ported? anyone try this or know anyone who did? Thanks!

Josiah

Full of questions arent we!

Polyfill will make the box "act" larger. But usually only about 10% larger. Try different amounts of it in your box. From stuffing the crap out of it to just a few tufts of it. What happens is that the poly fill makes the sound/air pressure inside the enclosure take a longer path. Thereby making the box appear bigger to the speaker. It can make a difference if you are borderline on your volume, but dont expect it to make up for large volumes, that aint gunna happen. If you can, make it the reccommended size, that is the best route.

I also do NOT reccommend using 2 speakers in different types of boxes! Phaseing issues will happen, certain frequencies will be exaggerated and others will be almost non-existant. Stick with one design for all, that will yeild the best sound and SPL

1 - 9 of 9 Posts