DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My Intrepid has developed a cloudyness in the lights, and i was wondering if anyone else had any good tips to remove it. I have been using "Flitz" it helps a little, it supposedly has a chemical reaction that takes it away slowly. Any suggestions of what to buy (i dont know if the "kit" works well) but any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

·
Registered
367 Posts
Do a search. You'll find a myriad of suggestions, processes that worked for other members, etc.

Wetsanding is a popular option. PlastX is another possibility. I've heard of other people having good luck with Plexus.

·
Registered
4,707 Posts
I use plexus as a preventative, but it won't clear lights already damaged. Most of the successes here have involved sanding and polishing with a product like plast-x. There are also some sealant products, that re-coat lenses that some have has luck with. As W3ap0n-X said, there are lots of threads on this topic.

·
Registered
1,227 Posts
theres a kit at walmart in a silver bag. i found it in the automotive section by the headlight bulbs. others found it in different areas of wallyworld. its a little under 20 bucks, and has everything you need.

1500 and 2000 sand paper, buffer, sealer

i did it, and didnt take my time, only sanded for about 2 minutes per light, and it took about 15 mins total to do both headlights and foglights. i wasnt trying to make it perfect, just to see if it even made a difference.

it looked awesome.

ive been debating getting another kit and redoing it. i put a thin coat of the sealer, and want to resand everything down real good and put 4 coats of sealer this time.

i would reccomend the kit. it has everything you need and its all in one package.

·
Registered
296 Posts
I had the same problem with my intrepid - had almost no light and had to use hi-beams all the time. I used 3M's Scratch Remover just as I would on the body and it worked like a dream. It is safe for clearcoat so it doesn't scratch the lenses. May require a few rubbings but it is worth it (and much cheaper than those cleaning "kits") Do your fogs too, if you have them. You will be amazed!!

·
Registered
22,212 Posts
I dont have this problem, but when I went to the Salvage yard, all the intrepid Head lights had this to a degree. I am curious then is the fogging just on the outside of the plastic so that the sanding gets you down to where it is now clear? I ask this because new OEM light cost approx. 200 each. The head lights in the yard were $23 each. If they can be reworked then that seems like a good alternative. Assuming of course that the fogging is just on the outside and not all the way through. I also heard that is caused by UV light damage? On all model years or just some??

·
Registered
368 Posts
I use Rain-X on the headlight lenses even though I believe the instructions say it's not for plastic. I've done this for years, since lenses went from glass to plastic, and have not had foggy lenses yet.
Knocking on wood.

·
Registered
7,101 Posts
You can buy a kit or not, but if your lights are damaged pretty well, then you will need to wet sand them.

--Veeborg

·
Registered
2,676 Posts
Gorm said:
You can buy a kit or not, but if your lights are damaged pretty well, then you will need to wet sand them.

--Veeborg
okay did i miss something? whats up with all the cross naming?

--insertmod"sn"here

sorry for the hi-jack. i use this stuff from pep-boys that cleans convertable tops. i forget the exact brand but the guys use it on all the cars they inspect and turned me on to it when i was getting my headlight bulb changed a while ago.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts