DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How reliable are the first gen intrepids with the 3.5 DOHC motor? I recently acquired a 96 with 65k miles for $900, only needing an AC charge and a nice coat of wax. Are there any problem areas that I need to look out for with this car/engine combo? And how good does the car do on gas?

Thanks.

·
Registered
2,893 Posts
car is good. engine is good. for 900. i would have it inspected. at leaste the least i would do is pull the oil pan to see how the piston bearings and rods are. but if its in good condition. its a very reliable engine.

also if its just a beater you will like your beater. my 3.3 was 1500$ and its very reliable. the 3.5 is even more reliable and its strong.the a/c wont be aproblem but its going to be for winter so it dont matter. just crack your windows for a/c even though youll have heat.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I will have it checked. I'm pretty sure that it was well maintained, it only cost that little because my Captain sold it to me (I work at the Sheriff's Office). So if he lies, I know where to find him...

·
Registered
2,893 Posts
well then i would say not to even have the rods and bearings checked just do a flush of the oil , coolent, and a tranny fluid flush. ONLY use mopar brand atf+4 no others that say they work for crysler. they will ruin the tranny. other then that have fun.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks alot :) I'll take care of those fluids this weekend. The ride is so much surprisingly softer than my Integra with the Tein suspension.

·
Registered
689 Posts
Oh, and transmissions can be a weak spot, particulairly with the stronger 3.5. It's very rarely an immediate issue, but something to look out for. I've had mine rebuilt once already (at 185K kms).

·
Mopar or No Car
7,869 Posts
WeakVTEC said:
Thanks alot :) I'll take care of those fluids this weekend. The ride is so much surprisingly softer than my Integra with the Tein suspension.
You'll also find that it handles well for a big car. :)

If the car hasn't been beaten to death - and it looks like it hasn't with so few miles - then you really don't have any big maintenance issues until 100k ... except what's already been mentioned.

Welcome to DI.net and enjoy your new ride ...!!!

·
Registered
4,155 Posts
a 96 3.5 with 65k for $900? damn thats a pretty good deal. esp for just a beater car.

they dont handle the snow too bad if youve got some decent tread on the tires either.

·
Registered
2,893 Posts
oooooo. this winter is gonna be fun with 2 bald back tires :) and 2 front ones with low tred..... omg im soooo scared

1 - 9 of 9 Posts