DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was just wondering if anyone else had this problem with their roof. When I drive down the highway I have lotts of wind noise, does anyone else have this problem? and know how to fix it without replacing the rubber souround?

·
Registered
427 Posts
Only when the roof is open. If I don't care about hearing the music or whoever's with me (every married man's dream...joking) I'll leave it open. I have noticed that it is quite loud. Does Ventvisor make one of those deflectors that go around the front of the sunroof? Do they cut down on the noise? :rolleyes:

·
Registered
4,739 Posts
I heard the vent visors are supposed to help with the windnoise... but I have never sat in one, so I am not sure.

·
Registered
4,739 Posts
I don't think it looks *bad* but having one of those should also help your "drag coefficent" (however you say it) when you are hitting the highway speeds. Since that deflector is supposed to bounce the wind up, instead of in your car... theoretically you should have better gas mileage with your sunroof open, compared to not having a deflector.

Ok enough babbling. ;)

·
Registered
4,980 Posts
Don't know if I like it...too "busy"

But since I don't have a sunroof, it really doesn't matter now, does it? ;)

·
Registered
202 Posts
Originally posted by blkbute:
I was just wondering if anyone else had this problem with their roof. When I drive down the highway I have lotts of wind noise, does anyone else have this problem? and know how to fix it without replacing the rubber souround?
If your sunroof is closed, then you've got a gasket/seal problem because there is no wind noise coming from mine. Make sure the area under the glass and above the roof is clean so it will close completely.
If your sunroof is open, make sure the deflector come up when you open it. If it does, then I guess it's a question of how much is too much.
Vent mode...not much to elaborate on that.

HTH.

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Im talking about when the roof is closed. Im going to give it a good clean down, even though it spretty clean up there and see if it helps, then mabe for spring a new gasket. damn,

·
Registered
320 Posts
Both of my roofs have had a lot of noise when open, none when closed. :cool:

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
yes, well its understandable to have noise when its open. So mabe I will have to get the seal replaced. Does anyone know how hard a job it is to replace it? should I just get the garadge to do it for me?

·
Registered
320 Posts
No, I mean way too noisy, We wouldn’t even drive with the roof open on the 99. Nobody could stand it over 40 MPH. Just used it for looks. The new one is a little better.

·
Registered
407 Posts
blkbute- clean it really well and then use some some silicon spray on the rubber surround. The seal maybe dried out and the silicon may make it more pliable again and cause it to seal properly. I use WD-40 sprayed on a towel to dress mine.

·
Registered
381 Posts
As a side note. If you don't open it more than a few inches the deflector will not come up. It doesn't come up until the roof retracts about 4 inches. On the gasket noise problem, you may want to open the roof all the way & see if its deformed in a certain spot. You may be able to leave the roof open in a warm garage (or heat it with a hair dryer) and it will come back into shape. It may be better than going through changing the gasket.

·
Registered
16 Posts
The car's aerodynamics causes weird wind circulation at high speeds with the roof open. I find cracking the rear windows slightly cuts down on the noise from the sunroof.

As far as closed, it should be quiet. If not, clean and lube first before you start tearing things off or putting things on.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts