DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5,188 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know what voltage the car supplies to the alarm led on the sun sensor? I'm hooking mine up to an aftermarket alarm.

·
Woober Goobers!
50,762 Posts
According to my 2000 FSM the VTSS(Vehicle Theft Security System) gets Batt A7 12vdc on pin 1 via the Junction Block and PDC(Power Distribution Center). Ground is supplied on pin 2 via the BCM(Body Control Module). I put the descriptions of the components in brackets...just in case. If you need specific pins outs or fuse numbers..let me know and I'll provide them.

·
Registered
5,188 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thats what I read it as too but I wanted to check. According to the FSM, the resistor is inside of the sun sensor right? If it weren't then it could be a problem but it looks like it is. Are pin 1 and 2 from the left or from the right because according to the sun sensor thread pins 3 & 4 are for the VTSS. Thanks!

·
Woober Goobers!
50,762 Posts
The resistor I would think is in the Sun sensor itself but it's also possible it's in the BCM. I took a look at the online FSM or 2002 which the thread you refer to might be referencing. The 2000 and 2002 FSMs show the same Black 4 pin connector...but the 2000 shows pin 1 on the left of the connector and the 2002 shows pin one being on the right of the connector! However the wire colors and pin numbers are the same for both years. So that there's no confusion on my part..The Fused B+ is pin one and is a Pink wire. VTSS Indicator Driver(ground at BCM) is pin 2 and is Black/Orange wire. If you go by the wire colors you should be good good for your mod.

Reactions: 00RT

·
Registered
5,188 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
HMMM...I'll have to check the colors in my car because the small piece of harness I got with my sensor has the the 2 wires you talked about on the right so hopefully it is still compatible with my car which is a 2000.

·
Woober Goobers!
50,762 Posts
Another possibility is that the 2000 FSM showing the physical connector pin outs is backwards. It seems that sometimes those drawings reference pin one as if you're looking at the back of the connector where the wires come out of it. Other drawings it looks like they're referencing pin one on the side where the actual pins are.
I looked in my 1999 Body Diagnostic Procedures manual and it shows a drawing of the connector with pin 1 on the right and it's shown as to make no mistake on the orientation. If you're referencing this thread for the colors then it's correct and is the same for 1999. 2000 and 2002http://www.dodgeintrepid.net/forums/showthread.php?t=60894&highlight=sun+sensor
I think you'll be good to go with the wiring you've got and your 2000. The Sun sensor assembly didn't change physically between years from what I see.

·
Registered
5,188 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yeah, thats helpful thanks Phil. I decided to do a little test today. I connected 12v to it and everything was fine. I opened it up and took some measurements and found out that the voltage at the led is limited to 2v, which is standard for most leds, other than blue and white. I figured if I hooked up the output from my alarm (which is only 3v or so anyway)to the connector on the sensor I would be further reducing the voltage and dimming the led(I saw a thread where someone said the light wasn't as bright connected to an aftermarket alarm as it was stock). I decided I should connect the led directly to the alarm and bypass the circuitry. To make things interesting I desoldered the led from the board and I mounted a new 2600mcd blue led in its place but I didn't connect it to the board, just the plastic post piece. I then soldered wires to the leads and drilled a hole so I could run them out of the unit. I had to remove the red lens and bend the led, but nowI have a super bright blue led where the red one was and now I won't have to splice my stock harness to connect the output from the alarm because the led now has its own seperate wires. Now I just have to see what the output on my alarm is and if its not at least 3.5v, I'll have to use a relay and resistors to power the new led. I tested the positioning in the car with a battery connected and it looks awesome, I'll let you guys know when I get everything permanently installed.

·
Registered
5,188 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I just got my new sun sensor installed with the blue led. It looks great! I highly recommend doing this to anyone who doesn't like the stock red light. Even though the blue one is rated for 3.7v to 4.5v it is plenty bright with the 2v output of my alarm so I imagine those with a stock alarm could just swap leds without having to make any other connections.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts