DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
2,627 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey how hard do you think it would be to install a sunroof into a intrepid which doesnt have one?

the reason I'm asking is I'm thinking of doing it to my car
so help me

·
Registered
5,188 Posts
I thought about it as well. This has been addressed before. I imagine you could install one of those aftermarket ones but from what I read here before the only way to use a stock one from another intrepid is to replace the entire roof.

·
Registered
2,627 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i assume replacing the roof liner with the one for a sunroof and then have some body shop install the sunroof and i can run the wires and evrything else

·
Registered
4,600 Posts
Are you talking about retroing a stock unit or an aftermarket?

·
Registered
2,627 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
i have no sunroof and i want to install one in my car and need to know what im getting into

·
Registered
5,188 Posts
Good luck - if you figure out a way to do it definitely let me know because its the only thing I really wish I had in my car. I really don't think you can though. TFC says you can't and I consider anything he says about our cars to be an undisputable fact. Take a look at this thread

·
Registered
2,074 Posts
I too wished I had a sun roof on my car...but from what I have heard over the last few years is "if your car did not come with a sun roof...putting one in it will leak." Even if it was an OEM I really to this date do not see why it would not work. Aftermarket...yeah I understand. But an OEM...who knows. I have seen them on ebay here and there....really good prices as well. Never jumped on it because I was worried about the leakage part of it.

·
Registered
1,651 Posts
Leakage isn't so much the problem...It's the fact of putting in a mainly flat sunroof in a curved roof like the intrepid. I've seen people with Neons have the same problem. Yeah, some people put one in anyways....and they look like sheot.

·
Registered
5,188 Posts
I can't really understand how a sunroof from an intrepid wouldn't have the right curve to fit the roof of an intrepid. The problem lies in the fact that the roof on the treps with sunroofs were formed with the intention of putting a sunroof in and have a special lip around the cutout.

·
Registered
2,136 Posts
silver&gold said:
I too wished I had a sun roof on my car...but from what I have heard over the last few years is "if your car did not come with a sun roof...putting one in it will leak." Even if it was an OEM I really to this date do not see why it would not work. Aftermarket...yeah I understand. But an OEM...who knows. I have seen them on ebay here and there....really good prices as well. Never jumped on it because I was worried about the leakage part of it.
True....installing a sunroof in a car that didn't come with one from the factory is never a good idea.

·
Registered
2,461 Posts
If you esu the existing (sunroof) whole and about 3-6" of metal and have a good body shop install it how scn it be a bad idea, a pain to run the drain tubes etc ,but doable i would think.

Have you checked out after market sliders? Trim line installs factory style ,just make sure it goes under the roof not like some gm (sunfire)!

·
Registered
6,362 Posts
If installed properly, leakage shouldnt be a problem. I have an aftermarket sunroof installed in my 1st gen and i've never seen so much as a single drop of water come through the thing. While I didn't do the install on mine, I have since then helped on another car. Aftermarket sunroofs are designed to adjust to the contours of a "non-flat" roof. (what car these days has a completely flat roofline?) The frame is made of a flexible metal that pinches the cutout of your existing roof. So long as the installer uses the proper sealants and gaskets, leaking isnt an issue at all. Of all things, don't let leakage scare you away from a sunroof.

·
Registered
4,498 Posts
I know the feeling of wanting a sunroof... I wished i had one in my 01SE. So after it got wrecked, I made it a point to get a ES with a sunroof and all of the other stuff i wish i had in my SE..... But I would suggest that you find a Intrepid with a sunroof and take a look at the roof inside and out, and compare it to yours..... and you should see why installing a OEM Sunroof would be pretty much impossible.... I'm sure a aftermarket sunroof you can install to not leak... I seen a SE Intrepid with an aftermarket sunroof and I guess it was leaking B/C they had put some sort of clear goop all around the rubber gromet that goes along the edge of the sunroof and it looked like shi*.... But if somehow you do get an OEM sunroof to fit, you will be a hero to alot of SE and non ES/RT owners!!!

·
Registered
6,788 Posts
i installed an aftermarket into my first gen, and never had an issue with leakage. Not sure on the second gen, but IIRC randy installed one, and had non stop issues with it, causing him to replace the car with one in it from the factory.

·
Registered
3,934 Posts
There is only one really sure fire way to get it done, and that would be to get an entire roof assembly and have it grafted on at the windshield & rear window pillars.
IF you could find a body shop that could cut the hole exactly where the factory did, the weld on the necessary lip that is used to reinforce the roof and seal the glass, well, you could imagine the cost.
A replacement roof would be the quickest and easiest way, of course there's also the cost of re & re both glasses and the possibility that they don't get it 100% square....................
If you really want to try, I have a complete assembly available (no headliner though) but it is complete and functional from a 2003 Special. PM me and I'll give you a price.

·
Registered
1,971 Posts
why wouldnt u jsut cut around the sunroof of the car that u wanna take it off of, then have it bonded or what not then painted, run the wires, and done

·
Registered
2,230 Posts
I think that the structural issues are the big deterrent here. The roof of a car thta has a sunroof is not the same as one without a sunroof. That being said some body shops can do some very amazing stuff. I think that this could be done, but the important question is: how much is this worth to you?

·
Registered
603 Posts
I saw the craziest sunroof mod the other day while going up a offramp, some dude had taken his intrepid and put a aftermarket sunroof behind the stock sunroof. It was a little smaller but it was there.....CRAZY PEOPLE!!!! That can not be safe unless they have a rollcage in that car. Makes me wonder if it was IN2Deep's car??? It was white.... :)

1 - 20 of 34 Posts