DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4,980 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What happened to 300 hp out of the 300M Special?? Now they are saying it only has a 5 hp increase to 255hp?? Arrgghh!!! This was on my wish list until now. (though it is still pretty sweet) :)

Here's the article....

300M Special

·
Registered
504 Posts
...The car also gets dual exhaust and a 150-mph (vs. 120) speedo

Those parts should fit our R/T's... Thee may be hope for the 150 speedo yet!!!

·
Registered
4,980 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The 300M's have a totally different looking cluster...it has those "vintage" looking gauges.

OTTO said in an old post that the dual exhaust would be a pretty penny from a dealer...getting an aftermarket setup would be alot cheaper and probably give you better results.

Notice how the article is putting it up against the Bonneville S/C? Pontiac is having such a hard time selling those cars. They are nice cars though. I think GM is going to discontiue them before long. They are in the midst of cutting down vehicle overlap.

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
Yeah, I do not see too many Bonivelle's around, but I know that teh SSEI is one fast machene.

·
Registered
54 Posts
This just looks like another trim you can order the current 300M in. From what I've been reading the next model will be the 300N and will have 300hp thanks to the mopar hemi v8. It is also supposed to be rear wheel.

·
Registered
504 Posts
Originally posted by Intrepidatious:
The 300M's have a totally different looking cluster...it has those "vintage" looking gauges.

I could take all the gauges to make the look complete... I still want to get my hands on a police edition trep... It gets me slightly miffed that I can't tell how fast I'm going over 120.

·
Registered
4,980 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Originally posted by SlvrBlt:
This just looks like another trim you can order the current 300M in. From what I've been reading the next model will be the 300N and will have 300hp thanks to the mopar hemi v8. It is also supposed to be rear wheel.
This 300M Special (current gen) has actually been hyped to us by www.car-truck.com and other sources for the last couple of months as a 300hp machine (I believed the dual exhaust, revised intake and a couple of other things was supposed to give it 300hp)

To have it get just a 5hp increase after all this seems a bit of a let down. OTTO, you hear anything on this? I know you were looking forward to this one too....

·
Registered
3,503 Posts
Originally posted by MadTxn:
I could take all the gauges to make the look complete... I still want to get my hands on a police edition trep... It gets me slightly miffed that I can't tell how fast I'm going over 120.
And how often to you drive over 120mph? :)

I feel your pain though. :)

·
Registered
54 Posts
Intrepidatious,

Definitely looking forward to this ride. Yes I've been keeping up with car-truck.com as well. The good news about the 300M Special is we can take their parts. The bad news is that it isn't 300hp worth. My guess is that milking the current 3.5L for 50hp more proved to be too expensive and not stable enough for production. I remember a discussion a while back about our transmissions only being able to handle ~300hp. 300hp at a permanent basis was probably pushing it. What they should do is make a much more efficient transmission and put more of the hp to the wheels. Most of that extra 50hp would have gone to waste anyway.

·
Registered
349 Posts
I remember a discussion a while back about our transmissions only being able to handle ~300hp.
Maybe that's one good thing coming out of the mercedes transmissions in the next gen LX's. I'm still debating whether or not to purchase one simply because of the mercedes E class parts for the steering, suspension, and trannies.

·
Registered
504 Posts
Originally posted by Warlord187:
And how often to you drive over 120mph? :)

I feel your pain though. :)
I don't think I've ever gone OVER 120, because the speedo stopped me, but I've been 110+ lots of times. Including the time I was "racing" a new M3 (more like trailing, but you get the idea)

·
Registered
1,169 Posts
Intrepidatious- we built two pre-production 300 Specials this week. OK it does not have any more power ,but it does have 245-45-18 rubber and rims , High Intensity Discharge headlights (ZAP), lowered suspension and dual exhaust. The exhaust is a very strange design, it starts like all LH cars from the downpipes into the front muffler (this is were it gets strange) then out of the muffler down the center of the car are TWO pipes, they then go into a Y-pipe and snake around the gas tank into the rear muffler . Then you have your left and right exhaust pipe out each side of the muffler and just before they go out the back you have a resonator . The tips are round and chromed. The HID are sweet. Not sure when we are going to start building for the public. Soon I hope.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts