DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok my sway bars are loose and need changing...so i remembered TFC changing his to the special package and the way he remarked about how much better it was...so yea...i want to do this...what do I need? I am not to sure about the fact that it lowers the car cuz potholes and new bodykit and paint job just dont mix...so i dont know if bringin the car even lower would be a good idea...if i get the sway bars...and the 300m special knuckles...and r/t springs/struts would this give me better handling without bring the car down...or does the r/t springs/struts also lower the car as well?

The second part of my question is where do i get this stuff? TFC? Jeff? i am not concerned about the price...i am gonna have the dealership install them...can i just order the parts from the dealership? i would rather get them from jeff if i can or tfc...

Thanks in advanced for the replies.

·
Registered
13,702 Posts
Think you would do a whole lot better if you can deal with Ross. You have a 1st gen though don't you? Don't know if they will match up with 1st gen.

If it will work probably be worth a road trip.

Think the total drop on Special is like 3/4 inch.

·
Registered
1,501 Posts
M Special springs & struts drop the car 1/2-3/4" and are slightly stiffer than R/Ts which are nuch stiffer than SE/ES. R/T swaybars are the same as the M Special (heavier than 300M).

TFC's the man for this !!!

·
Registered
1,909 Posts
well damn man! Give TFC a pm and find out for yourself! :D

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
whats the speacial rear brace? is that like a sway bar but for the rear?...and arcahel the whole point of me making is thread for more than one opinion or even fact...so by shooting TFC a pm that is giving me one source...i have read the thread where TFC explained alot but i wont more information if thats ok with you.

·
Woober Goobers!
50,349 Posts
I think he means the rear suspension crossmember and is calling it a brace. The R/T and 300M Special are just about the same suspension components except for the springs. On the Special they're lower than the R/T. The struts and sway bars are the same I believe as they are called out in the PHP (Performance Handling Package) The R/T sway bars are bigger than the standard 300m. If you don't want to lower the car but want the handling...I'd go with the R/T parts. My current R/T is much better than my SE was. I'm still amazed at how much better it handles with much less body roll in corners. I can now take ramp corners easily 10mph faster or more without getting white knuckles!!

·
Woober Goobers!
50,349 Posts
Keith...I'd buy the struts too as the damping rates are different for an SE and an R/T. If you put the springs in alone..the ride would be stiffer and bounce around because the struts wouldn't damp the movement. It would probably be comparable to ricing it out by cutting the springs or worse. You'd have to take the struts out to change the springs..so it makes sense to change the struts at that time too. If you can find a deal on used good struts that great. I think when I checked online new R/T struts were around $85 each. I could check that if you're serious about buying them.

Reactions: kcarlos2000

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
perfect...now heres the next question...where do i get parts...i dont want used i want brand new..sounds like im goin the route of the r/t ...how much for a brand new
sway bar, struts, and springs...heres a possible newbie question but what goes on the front?
-sway bar
-springs
-struts

and for the rear its just
-springs
-struts
-and this rear brace crossmember thing?

·
Woober Goobers!
50,349 Posts
Kris...your list above looks about right except you're missing the bushings for the sway bars. If I were to do what you're contemplating..I'd go used on everything except the struts and bushings. Springs and sway bars don't wear out. One or two people were selling R/T springs cheap...might still be. All new would probably be well over $1000 at MSRP(Dealer price). I'm not sure of the benefit/cost of the rear crossmember. I need to check on the websites for you...besides moparsupercenter.com

·
Registered
5,188 Posts
I would definitely recommend going with the r/t suspension. I've never driven an ES or SE to compare, but everyone who gets in my car is amazed at how well such a big car handles.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts