DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm replacing several suspension components in my girlfriends 2001 intrepid and its becoming a total nightmare. I couldn't separate the shock from the upper mounting plate because the nut was so rusted it was fused to the shock shaft. I had to cut the damn shock in half just to get the spring off. I've purchased all of the parts but the only thing I'm missing is part # 04782238AB which is the jounce bumper cup. Rock Auto doesn't seem to carry it and the only other place I've found is moparpartsoverstock.com but the shipping is more than the part. Is buying it from them the only way?

Also, I purchased a new upper strut mounting plate from autozone for like 60$ with a lifetime warranty but while looking around on Rock Auto I see they sell them for $27.99 but I'm not sure of the quality. Any help/ideas would be greatly appreciated, I have to get this car on the road soon.

·
1st Gen FTW - It's AutoMedic!
15,449 Posts
I'm replacing several suspension components in my girlfriends 2001 intrepid and its becoming a total nightmare. I couldn't separate the shock from the upper mounting plate because the nut was so rusted it was fused to the shock shaft. I had to cut the damn shock in half just to get the spring off. I've purchased all of the parts but the only thing I'm missing is part # 04782238AB which is the jounce bumper cup. Rock Auto doesn't seem to carry it and the only other place I've found is moparpartsoverstock.com but the shipping is more than the part. Is buying it from them the only way?

Also, I purchased a new upper strut mounting plate from autozone for like 60$ with a lifetime warranty but while looking around on Rock Auto I see they sell them for $27.99 but I'm not sure of the quality. Any help/ideas would be greatly appreciated, I have to get this car on the road soon.
Watch out for the bad strut mounts from aftermarket sources... You might be better off buying new from dealer...

Assuming you are talking front...

Sent from my SCH-S720C using AutoGuide.Com Free App

·
Registered
15,244 Posts
I too am assuming this is for the front end.

Yesterday I did both front struts, I know your pain. the main 21mm nut was rusted all to hell also.

Can't help about the jounce bumper cup.

there are a left and right top mount plate. Do not get them mixed up. the flat spot on the bearing seat is located on the back side on the strut while both mounting plates have a notch at 10 o'clock. The right side plate has two notches located inside the main strut nut location going 10 to 4 o'clock while the left side mounting plate has the two notches going 2 to 8 o'clock.

I had to 'rent' a second spring compressor set to fully pull down the spring to engage the strut nut.

I let the knuckle slip and it yanked out the cv axle and the needle bearing broke apart. that's today's repair, so I know your pain.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts