DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Some may think it would be ghey, but I want to mount my full size-matching spare onto the roof rack of my Durango, I have three problems, I want it to be safe... 50 pound spare tire through someones windshield wouldnt be pretty..., i dont want it to scratch/dent the hell out of my roof, and I need to make it cheap, like under 50 bucks cheap...
any suggestions?

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
HOW ABOUT A HUNDRED?
I'm spending 300 a month in gas for this bastard, not alot of room for other ****.

·
Registered
4,600 Posts
Do you have the stock roof rack ?

I saw a picture online but could not tell it the cross bars are adjustable like on some minivan roof racks. If you have one and they are adjustable or you can add more, you might try the local salvage yards and see it they have any there. Maybe add three more specifically for the tire. A workable bracket or something to mount it to them would be easy enough.

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
there's 5 or 6 different notches that the racks will lock into, but the racks themselves are not very sturdy.

·
Registered
8,099 Posts
first of all, expect your gas mileage to be severely effected. that's a lot of drag.

second, do you really want to have to lift your spare tire up and down from there if you ever need it? i know i sure as hell wouldn't.

last, if you really want it up there, just build or buy a roofrack that mounts to the factory rain gutters.

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
IntrepidXJ said:
first of all, expect your gas mileage to be severely effected. that's a lot of drag.
It doesn't get a whole lot worse than 10.1 mpg...

IntrepidXJ said:
second, do you really want to have to lift your spare tire up and down from there if you ever need it? i know i sure as hell wouldn't.
I don't want to... no, and neither will the dude from AAA when he has to come do it.

·
Registered
4,994 Posts
What's so bad about leaving it underneath where it's at already?

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I'ts a matchin spare and it's already gotten hammered by rocks and the like. I acquired another wheel to replace it, and a simple cloth cover for it isn't gonna do the trick the type of driving I do.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts