DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

Suyestions Preaze!

2K views 23 replies 11 participants last post by  EngineerJoe 
#1 ·
Some may think it would be ghey, but I want to mount my full size-matching spare onto the roof rack of my Durango, I have three problems, I want it to be safe... 50 pound spare tire through someones windshield wouldnt be pretty..., i dont want it to scratch/dent the hell out of my roof, and I need to make it cheap, like under 50 bucks cheap...
any suggestions?

#8 ·
Do you have the stock roof rack ?

I saw a picture online but could not tell it the cross bars are adjustable like on some minivan roof racks. If you have one and they are adjustable or you can add more, you might try the local salvage yards and see it they have any there. Maybe add three more specifically for the tire. A workable bracket or something to mount it to them would be easy enough.

#10 ·
first of all, expect your gas mileage to be severely effected. that's a lot of drag.

second, do you really want to have to lift your spare tire up and down from there if you ever need it? i know i sure as hell wouldn't.

last, if you really want it up there, just build or buy a roofrack that mounts to the factory rain gutters.

#11 ·
IntrepidXJ said:
first of all, expect your gas mileage to be severely effected. that's a lot of drag.
It doesn't get a whole lot worse than 10.1 mpg...

IntrepidXJ said:
second, do you really want to have to lift your spare tire up and down from there if you ever need it? i know i sure as hell wouldn't.
I don't want to... no, and neither will the dude from AAA when he has to come do it.

#22 ·
For 50 bucks (a year) you can join AAA and get free towing and tire repair 24x7.

Or check with your credit card companies to see if they have discounted 'roadside assistance'.

It's been 15 years since I've had an 'on-road' flat.

Of course for anything off-road you'll want to carry both a spare and a can (or two) of fix-a-flat. But on the highway?

Besides, there are definite weight limitations to what you can put up on those roof anchors. A tire might well exceed that.

Another thought: There are spare tire carriers that snap into the hitch receiver. These things are on a kind of swivel arrangement to get out of the way of the tailgate. If you can find one of those used, I'd trust that well before I trust tying *anything* as heavy as a full-sized spare on the roof with a $50 kimchee-rigged lash-up.

(what's that noise, the air leaking out of all four of my tires? musta jinxed myself, nutz!!!)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.