DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
my front tires look almost end of their ages.
but rear tires look much better.

I'm thinking Swapping front / rear tires to keep them as much as possible.
Is it good idea or bad idea?

Also I can see there is more air in the rear tires.
Should rear tires have more air than front tires?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
150 Posts
On the rear-wheel drive cars the experts always said to put the best tread on the back to prevent loss of traction and spin-out. I don't know how that applies to front-wheel drive, but in any case, it seems you would want good traction on the drive tires.
As for the tire pressure - I found even with 38psi in the front I still get more tire squat than the back at 28psi. I usually run my tires at 36 to 38 front and about 30 rear.
2004 SXT with 3.5 (heavy front-end)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
795 Posts
Definatly rotate them, the fronts wear much faster as they must bolth drive and steer the car. The rears pretty much do nothing so your worn ones will last for a while there. Also I'd put only 30-32psi all around, many people fill their tires to what it says on the sidewall and thats incorrect. You have to remember the air expands when the tires heat up, so you'll be running with way to much air at 38psi cold. Radials are made to look squat at their normal pressure, the old bias tires were so stiff they would only squat when they were almost flat... hence the misconception.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
865 Posts
ya i'd say put the best on the drive and steering tires (if its FWD) tire pressure should be set to what it is in the doorjam, unless you have drastically changed you wheel tire combo or the weight of the vehicle, all around.

I had mine at 32 for a long time than went to Mr. lube and the sidewall said 44psi (max) so they put it at 40!! freaking PSI (they said your tires were low so we put more air into them, I assumed they were not retards at the time so didnt ask what they considered 'low'), tires can build as much as 8psi from their cold state in hot weather and as much as 4psi from just driving around town.

im usually in the middle of a drive when I check tire pressure so I just put in 32 psi, if the car hasnt been driven in a while (or left overnight) and you are filling them at home with a compressor or whatever i'd go with 30-31 you can always go with around 30 for more comfort because the tire is softer but you will get abnormal wear.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you all.
Now I know it needs better tires on the drive.

It could be a stupid question, but I'm new at maintenance a car myself.
please understand. How can I check my tires 'psi'??
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
One more question.

Should I rotate left/right also when I rotate front/rear?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
462 Posts
Go to a parts store and buy a tire pressure gauge. You do not need anything expensive. Get the one that looks like a pen. It should be less then $5.
Rotate the tires off the front to the rear on the other side. Bring the rear tire straight foward.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Sorry... I should've read Owner's Manual first.
There are all informations about this.
According to the manual, what all you guys said is right..

And timely rotation of tires are recommended every 7,500 miles.
When rotate 4 tires, it says "The suggested rotation method is the "forward-cross".
- left front goes to left rear
- right front goes to right rear
- left rear goes right front (change left/right)
- right rear goes left front (change left/right)
"Other rotation methods may be used, but may not have all the benefits of the recommended method."
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
4,553 Posts
jalius said:
"The suggested rotation method is the "forward-cross".
- left front goes to left rear
- right front goes to right rear
- left rear goes right front (change left/right)
- right rear goes left front (change left/right)
"Other rotation methods may be used, but may not have all the benefits of the recommended method."
The "other" method of front to rear, without crossing, is for directional tires. They always stay on the same side of the vehicle, unless you dismount the tires every time, and that's not necessary.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
865 Posts
i've been thinking of getting a digital tire guage but don't trust them too much, any opinions on some of those?

ya be carefull that you do not have directional tires if you are going to rotate left><right
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
What is 'directional tires' and How can I know whether mine is it??
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
4,553 Posts
Directional tires have an arrow on the tire that shows the direction they are supposed to roll. You can't run them backwards....well...you CAN...but it will handle really weird, and kill the tire very quickly! :biggrin:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,893 Posts
unless your taking the wheel off the rim it self only go from front to back back to ftont. dont switch sides !!!!!!!

FR to BR (front right to back right)
FL to BL (front left to backleft)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,279 Posts
There was an article recently in Motor Trend or Road & Track, I believe, about which end of the car should get the best tires. Their tests definitely showed that putting new tires on the front of a FWD car with worn tires on the rear could result in a disaster. At a certain point, according to them, the car just spun out with no prior warning. They said their experienced test drivers only learned to sense the oncoming skid and corrected properly after several times of losing it. Bottom line--keep your tires rotated so they wear evenly. If there's a lot of difference between the tread depths of the fronts & rears, better leave the better tires on the rear. And for cryin' out loud, get a gauge. Trying to judge tire pressure by appearance on radials is asking for trouble.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
865 Posts
CluelessinMO said:
There was an article recently in Motor Trend or Road & Track, I believe, about which end of the car should get the best tires. Their tests definitely showed that putting new tires on the front of a FWD car with worn tires on the rear could result in a disaster. At a certain point, according to them, the car just spun out with no prior warning. They said their experienced test drivers only learned to sense the oncoming skid and corrected properly after several times of losing it. Bottom line--keep your tires rotated so they wear evenly. If there's a lot of difference between the tread depths of the fronts & rears, better leave the better tires on the rear. And for cryin' out loud, get a gauge. Trying to judge tire pressure by appearance on radials is asking for trouble.
unexpected spin outs... freaky
 

·
Mopar or No Car
Joined
·
7,869 Posts
LeadFootLee said:
i've been thinking of getting a digital tire guage but don't trust them too much, any opinions on some of those?

ya be carefull that you do not have directional tires if you are going to rotate left><right
I've got one and like it. It's much less prone to a bad read than the old sticks. But I keep it in the garage, I don't carry it in the car very often. I use it to check the sticks I keep in the cars ...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,893 Posts
why in god name leave the bad tires on the front. the most your going to do it have a spin out because theres no tread then your going to blow the tire !!!!

get the no treads on the back before you injure somone. from a flat.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,279 Posts
LeadFootLee said:
unexpected spin outs... freaky
I suspect what happens here is that the front tires have much greater grip, and when the grip of the front exceeds that of the rear, the rears just let go all at once. Makes sense when you consider there is little tread to flex, so the traction is lost suddenly, rather than gradually as the tread flexes in an effort to keep traction.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,909 Posts
also it's mainly just lateral traction that the rears need. for cornering and such. Going around a curve with slicks on the back the rear will just step out and you'll get spin. Slicks on the front and you'll most likely just "not go"...like in an above post.. just keep them wearing evenly but if you HAVE to pick.. i'd pick the good tires in the rear. The extra weight of the front of the car will aid the front inferior tires and help counteract the lack of tread.
 
1 - 20 of 37 Posts
Top