DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Factory service manual says not to do the final torque on these until the full weight of the vehicle is on the ground. This is fine, but has anyone done this with a 3.5 and just how and the hell are you supposed to reach the bolts-even if you have a LONG extension? There is no way to get through all the **** in the engine compartment. I cannot even SEE the bolts from looking down the engine compartment and they're not really reachable to get a socket and torque wrench in from the side. Would be a piece of cake on 3.3. I will have my intake off this weekend-maybe will be able to get them then?

Also, manual states when doing control arm/ball joint/strut rod to not do the final torque on the control arm to cradle pivot bolt until weight on ground. anyone manage to do this? how? torque is 90ft/lb -I cant even get under the SOB and I,m skinny. Maybe I'm just not thinking outside the box here.
Thanks-any input appreciated.

·
Registered
3,018 Posts
a long extension and a swivel head and you can get them perfectly from the top

·
Registered
566 Posts
Just went thru this getting bushings *off*. Couldn't get enough leverage to loosen the damn things, until I figured out to go in from the wheel side under/through the flexible splash shielding. Full weight of car is on the suspension, but what made the bolts accessible from the side with the wheel attached was having the car elevated on my drive-on ramps which raise the front end by about 10" or so. Don't know how I'd get under there to access the bolts if everything was at ground level.

·
Registered
639 Posts
I did mine on ramps as well w/no prob. It is important to torque when weight is on the suspension so that the 'neutral' position will be set with the suspension at normal load. If it is torqued with the wheels lowered (car jacked up), then when the car is lowered, the rubber will get all twisted up at normal suspension load and will ruin the bushings much faster as the car suspension compresses even further as it goes over bumps.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts