DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
424 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, the tranny has lasted 2200 miles, so time to get the car up to part. Sometimes this week I plan on doing the drivers side half shaft, and both sway bar links. The half shaft is no problem, but looking for any advice on the sway bar links. I did see (during searching) one guy that said to bring it to a shop, but I think I will try to tackle this myself. So as I said, any advice would be greatly apriciated. I also would like to find some instructions from a FSM or something. I didn't find it in my chilton. Thanks in advance. By the way it is a 93 with a 3.3 and 117k miles.
-Taaf-

·
Registered
92 Posts
The swa bar end links are not that bad to change. I replaced mine with the moog problensolvers they have greasable ends

·
Registered
296 Posts
they are pretty easy to do i have done both of mine.the old ones can be a pain to get off since the bolts have been on ther for awhile so heat might work to get them off but what i did was used a grinder and cut them off carefully and it took about 30 minutes at most each side with jacking the car up and taking the tires off.
hope this helps

·
Registered
6,788 Posts
becareful when you are turning them out, if they are too rusted they will spin the entire bolt that holds them to the ends, when you replace them, use moog, as they have both the grease fitting, and a backing nut, so if you have to replace them again, it is easier to get them out. soak them with pblaster or some other penetriating oil, that will help, and have an angle grinder ready incase they do not come out easy.

·
Registered
3,018 Posts
if you can do the axle you can do these ends, there pretty much a no-brainer

·
Registered
424 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
k, thanks guys. Thanks for the encuragement crash. I have done a couple of half shafts on these cars before so that is a breeze for me. I should be trying this this week, as soon as I get some money from the job I should finish up monday. I'll make sure to ask around if I run into troubles.
-Taaf-

·
Registered
3,018 Posts
anytime - glad we can help ;-)

·
Registered
460 Posts
Well, I put her up on jack stands, pulled the passenger side wheel off to inspect the suspension. My front end has a 'knocking sound' and I might have found out what it is.

Another member informed me to check the sway bar end links. I can wiggle the end link a little and there is play at the connection to the sway bar. It is not tight.

You guys think this might be the 'knocking' sound and will replacing it require a front end alignment?

thanks.

·
Registered
460 Posts
The main things that I would like to know when replacing the sway bar links are:

1. 2 bolts are connecting it, 1 at each end
2. are the links under alot of tension, even w/ the front end on jack stands? how difficult to get off?
3. this will not mess w/ the front end alignment

thanks.

·
Registered
4,317 Posts
I can tell you right now, Front Sway bar links are easy!!! Then again since i have owned my car i have went through, 4 of them, two for each side....I drive really hard. but the ones i get have lifetime warrenty so im all good. But the ones i get have a allen type hole in the bolt, and they are easy to replace.no they are not under really much tension at full jouse. (wheels hanging)

Replacing the sway bar links do not warrent a aligment, Other major front components do.

Hope this helps...Somehow..lol
-Devan

·
Registered
460 Posts
thanks eagle esi, I'm looking at partsamerica.com and they have a TRW link 'kit' for $34.44, w/ only 1. Not sure what are the best to buy and where to get them. I've heard Moog are good, it is $56.99 for a pair.

·
Registered
460 Posts
I've been reading on how the correct torque is important on suspension parts. I don't have a torque wrench, so should I attempt to install these sway bar links without knowing the torque I am giving the nuts?

Also, I've been reading about greasing the suspension parts. What would you guys recommend greasing and what kind of grease?

thanks.

·
Registered
2,917 Posts
mf2004champ said:
I've been reading on how the correct torque is important on suspension parts. I don't have a torque wrench, so should I attempt to install these sway bar links without knowing the torque I am giving the nuts?

Also, I've been reading about greasing the suspension parts. What would you guys recommend greasing and what kind of grease?

thanks.
Use common sense when tightening and not a really big ratchet so you don't strip the threads easily, just tighten it good there really isn't anything that important to be so careful with overtightening the links as long as the nut stays in place after a drive. You can use normal green stuff to grease them if you get the greasable ones. I've done it without a torque wrench and they're still tight on there.

·
Registered
460 Posts
Checking this website for pricing of sway bar links:

http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/x,carcode,1091843,parttype,7580

Rockauto.com is selling a

"MOOG Part # K7251 {Sway Bar Link Kit}
Frt Susp; Problem Solver; greasable link kit" for $37.79. ( I assume it includes 2 end links )

Advance auto parts is selling it for $56.99. Guess I'll be ordering from rocky, and $6 for shipping. Sounds like a good deal.

Anyone delt with Rockauto.com?

Thanks.

·
Registered
4,707 Posts
I've bough from Rock Auto many times. Good peeps.
I bought mine yesterday at advance auto, and it was a TRW part, $42 and change with tax. I'll be putting it in within the week.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts