DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,495 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What specifically causes swirls? I know some cars you can barely see them because of the paint, ie white or silver maybe. But with my Black car, good luck, it is one solid swirl mark.

Is it caused by a previous person trying to polish/wax with sandpaper?

·
Registered
48 Posts
most swirls are caused by weather and washing ur car.there is no stoping it until u maintain it,like waxing. its very hard to keep swirls of of a black car.polishing once a year or so will make ur car alot better looking.if ur going to get polished get it done by someone that knows what ur doing. black is so nice when it done right but very hard to keep clean. good luck

·
Registered
2,136 Posts
My car is also one rolling swirl mark. The body shop swirled the HELL out of the clearcoat when they buffed it. I plan on using my new orbital to get rid of the swirls. My pops did his car last night...its a black 2000 BMW 528i, 30k miles, automatic washed during the winter. His paint was so heavily swirled from the auto washes that it almost looked grey...we did half the hood and the difference was AMAZING...the orbital and machine polish removed 90% of the swirls, and it looks like a colored mirror. A few more passes and I'm sure that the swirls will disappear. My car is next! :biggrin:

·
Registered
2,627 Posts
for your black paint i know theres a wax out there its says black wax. i watched my friend use it on his probe and damn did it take the scratches out and swrill marks out also.... i dont know the name but look for it black, wax....

·
Registered
72 Posts
black wax

I'd go with Mr. Dodge on this one. We use a black wax at our body shop that comes with a little chipstik to cover up small chips in your paint. that stuff is awesome. it would really be worth you looking into.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Swirl Marks

Swirl marks are caused by uneven polishing of the surface of the car. If a car is done with an electric polisher, and uneven pressure is applied, or the wrong polishing pad is used, or too abrasive a polish is used, then this can happen. Some areas under the pad get polished more that other areas, so the wear on the surface is uneven. What you are seeing as a swirl mark is the reflection of the suns light unevenly. Before clear coat, waxes had a mild abrasive in them and this would remove swirl marks. Now with the clear coat waxes, there are no abrasives. The Wax will fill in the uneven areas and the swirls will disappear. At least until the wax wears off. I have used a wool buffing pad on a electric buffer and ended up with swirl marks. I understand that Todays clear coat surfaces should be buffed with a certain type of foam pad to eleminate swirl marks. If you need more detail, check one of the autobody forums.
Hope this helps
Bill

·
Registered
2,461 Posts
I had 2 black 80 new yorkers for a bunch of years the best wax i found was rain dance liquid.

I would finish the wax job then wash it again seemed to help get all the wax etc off.

Who uses black cars more than most?

A funeral home, be brave ask what they use.

They are washed all the time and are usually mark free!

Some use corn starch rubbed in !

1 - 10 of 10 Posts