DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
344 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been wanting to switch to Mobil 1 for a while now. I have a 99 with the 3.5 with around 70k miles. I have heard from many people not to switch because it will cause havoc on the engine and then other people have told me that it is completely fine. I figured i should get your guy's opinions since most of you run Mobil 1. If it is safe for me to switch, what weight should I run? I live in chicago. Also, should I use a Mobil 1 filter also? I have seen Mobil 1 "extended performance" or something for a dollar more a quart. Would it be worth using that? Thanks

·
Registered
4,707 Posts
The manual calls for 10W30 in the 3.5 liter. Only use the 5W30 below 32 Degrees. The 10W30 is good to Zero Degrees, so it's the weight of choice. Honestly, I wouldn't run anything but synthetic myself, and Mobil1 or Amsoil in particular. Get the Mobil1 filter too, another good alternative. No Fram.

The switch will cause no problems with your mileage. The only worry WAS the possibility of leaking, but there are additives in Mobil 1 to stop that from happening, and also you have low mileage. The was a situation for some really high mileage cars, and pre conditioned oil.

·
Registered
72 Posts
You might want to hold off on the Mobil 1, there is alot of speculation on whether Mobil 1 is a PAO Group IV synthetic any more. Since here in the good old USA a Group III Hydrocracked dino oil is concidered synthetic(in Europe it's not). Mobil is said to have changed to a Dino oil in it's latest Synthetic formula. Pour temps have gone up leading many to believe it is true. I would use AMSOIL, German Castrol, Royal Purple, or Redline for the best protection and have a extended oil change interval to boot. A true PAO synthetic (Group IV&V base stock) will last to 10K OCI with ease. Google it and decide for your self... :music: :violin:

Reactions: Emerica2843

·
Registered
344 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
hmmm. Where is Amsoil available at?

·
Registered
3,041 Posts
Umm, I'll stick with Mobil 1 since it's so easy to get.

·
Registered
3,963 Posts
Why pay more for oil when regular Napa is cheaper and does just about the same thing? I do not see what the big deal is. A new car yes. A car with 70k on it, I do not see the reason to switch.

·
get off my lawn
15,507 Posts
I see a lot of reasons to switch, cleaner running longer life, better mileage,,, now maybe you dont care for such things, but , i want my car to last as long as possable,, may you have money to buy a new car every couple of years or so,, I dont,
so Ill keep My Special on a diet of mobile 1,, and in 7-8 yers it will still be crusing along

Member Of the 300M Specials of dinet

·
Registered
337 Posts
I just picked up 6 quarts of Pennzoil Platinum 5W-20 and a Purolator PureOne filter. The label says full synthetic. They had a buy one get one free thing at Advance Auto. Would I be alright using this oil on my 2000 2.7?

·
Registered
3,411 Posts
dude if you feel comfortable skimping on quality to save a few dollers, go right ahead, i'll pay the extra for mobil 1

Reactions: Emerica2843

·
Registered
344 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
308 colton

·
Registered
3,041 Posts
From what I've read so far. Mobil 1 and Amsoil oils are PAO Group IV synthetic oils. As for Castrol, Pennzoil Platinum, and Quaker State synthetic's are Group III Hydrocracked oils. I'll spend alittle more money for the Mobil 1.

·
Registered
344 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
what about the bigger filter from the mustangs that we can use or something? any benefit?

·
Registered
3,411 Posts
604 wacker

·
Registered
337 Posts
I have the mustang filter on my car right now. It just holds a little more oil, and I don't know what other benefits it has. I want to get rid of it because I'm afraid if I hit something high enough it'll rip the filter right off. That's probably just paranoid talk though and I'm totally wrong about it ever happening. Either way, I'm switching to to a smaller filter, the Purolator PureOne. I heard they were pretty good anyway. I figured Penzoil was cheaper than Amsoil, $4 something a quart, but it was on sale. I've been using mobile clean 5000. I'll use this 5W-20 them switch to Amsoil. I just wanted to know if the weight was safe for my car. Trying to stay mute and not hijack.

·
Registered
344 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
so would it be worth using the extended and also doing a seafoam treatment before i switch?

·
Registered
565 Posts
Mobil 1 EP 10w30 Every 6k miles and a mobil 1 M-1 204 Filter.. My trep loves it, ran it as far as 10k once and still drained out with a dark gold tint.. Really keeps your engine clean with all the cleaning aditives and seal conditioners..

1 - 20 of 33 Posts