DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1,495 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I will be switching from a class 3 synthetic to regular dino oil. It makes sense because I change the oil every 3,000 miles anyways, I ONLY do city driving, a 20 mile trip max maybe every two weeks.

Will any harm be done if I just completely switch to dino oil?

·
Registered
164 Posts
As long as you buy good quality oil and filter and keep changing it at 3k, your motor won’t know the difference.

·
Registered
5,188 Posts
I could be wrong, but I'm pretty sure once you go synthetic you can't go back to dino. Something about the seals getting used to the synthetic and then leaking when you out the dino in.

·
Registered
164 Posts
I stand corrected…
· If you do decide to change, only go up the scale. If you've been running around on synthetic, don't change down to a mineral-based oil - your engine might not be able to cope with the degradation in lubrication. Consequently, if you've been using mineral oil, try a semi or a full synthetic oil. By degradation, I'm speaking of the wear tolerances that an engine develops based on the oil that it's using. Thicker mineral oils mean thicker layers of oil coating the moving parts (by microns though). Switching to a thinner synthetic oil can cause piston rings to leak and in some very rare cases, piston slap or crank vibration.
· Gaskets and seals! With the makeup of synthetic oils being different from mineral oils, mineral-oil-soaked gaskets and seals have been known to leak when exposed to synthetic oils. Perhaps not that common an occurrence, but worth bearing in mind nevertheless
I didn’t know this, thanks 00r/t.mopar.muscle

·
Registered
2,840 Posts
makes sense. My sxt leaked a bit on synthetic from the oil filter, but now its fine. Been running synthetic ever since ive driving it. It used regular for 1 year. Otherwise the coating idea is very true, ive seen it when i was working on my ford contour, theres a fine layer of oil coating the cams. I cant imagine how fine that layer is inside the motor.

·
Registered
164 Posts
BTW I should have quoted that writing in my last post.
It came from a very interesting site and is a good read.

Here ist the link.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Memorex88 said:
I stand corrected…
· If you do decide to change, only go up the scale. If you've been running around on synthetic, don't change down to a mineral-based oil - your engine might not be able to cope with the degradation in lubrication. Consequently, if you've been using mineral oil, try a semi or a full synthetic oil. By degradation, I'm speaking of the wear tolerances that an engine develops based on the oil that it's using. Thicker mineral oils mean thicker layers of oil coating the moving parts (by microns though). Switching to a thinner synthetic oil can cause piston rings to leak and in some very rare cases, piston slap or crank vibration.
· Gaskets and seals! With the makeup of synthetic oils being different from mineral oils, mineral-oil-soaked gaskets and seals have been known to leak when exposed to synthetic oils. Perhaps not that common an occurrence, but worth bearing in mind nevertheless

so if they been using a w-40 oil on my car and now on my next oil change i want to stick to the regular 15w-30 oil i cant?
or is this safe to do... ive been wondering... dont it get used to the w-40's thinkness?

·
Registered
164 Posts
If you’re changing the viscosity according to the weather/season then IMO your actually trying to keep the thickness of the oil equal right?

I use only 10W-30 year-round. It’s perfect for my Canadian weather.

·
Registered
2,917 Posts
Yes you can go back to Dino, no problem. A lot of ppl do it bcs of money. But I would advise you to keep the synthetic given your driving routine, wich is one that promotes sludge, with short trips and city driving wich is very aggressive on all parts of a car, especially on the engine. Those short trips don't give enough time for the oil to get really hot and evaporate all moisture, thus promoting sludge buildup. And also if you have long time intervals (low mileage driven)between oil changes synthetic is better since it doesn't break down as fast as dino oil while sitting in your pan. Just something to keep in mind when deciding to downgrade on your cars vital fluid.

·
Registered
979 Posts
00r/t.mopar.muscle said:
I could be wrong, but I'm pretty sure once you go synthetic you can't go back to dino. Something about the seals getting used to the synthetic and then leaking when you out the dino in.
No at all. You can go back and forth anytime you like. I've been doing for years and so have many others.

There is more tendency for seal leaks to occur WITH synthetic. The oil blenders purposely add seal conditioners in synth oil to combat this. Seal on regular dino oil are not a problem.

In recognition of age-related seal deterioration, most of the High Milege oils now have elevated levels of seal conditioners to help swell seals to reduce or stop leaks.

·
Registered
979 Posts
Memorex88 said:
I stand corrected…
I know this post is well intentioned, but please ignore it. Most of the information is incorrect.

Let me apologize in advance : I'm not trying to upset anyone here, but the misinformation has to stop.

·
Registered
979 Posts
BAttousaix27 said:
so if they been using a w-40 oil on my car and now on my next oil change i want to stick to the regular 15w-30 oil i cant?
or is this safe to do... ive been wondering... dont it get used to the w-40's thinkness?
Change back to the correct viscosity anytime you want. Engines don't "get used " to anything. An engine is a lifeless collection of machined parts. It doesn't know or remember anything.

·
Registered
979 Posts
Memorex88 said:
If you’re changing the viscosity according to the weather/season then IMO your actually trying to keep the thickness of the oil equal right?

I use only 10W-30 year-round. It’s perfect for my Canadian weather.
Correct !!

By changing viscosities according to season, you are only addressing the oil viscosity at the cold temperature - ie. when the engine has cooled and is first being started.

Guys that live in hot areas like Texas or Arizona could easily run a straight 30 weight oil at the hottest times of the year. Multi-grade would not actually be required.

·
Registered
2,917 Posts
Holy **** chill out bro....4 posts in a row ???? :hmm: I'm sure your intentions are good but try to get all info in one post, otherwise it looks like you're out looking for some ...no need to bash anyone individually, they made honest mistakes created by a lot of misinformation that's out there. :music:

·
Registered
979 Posts
TERMINATOR101CA said:
Holy **** chill out bro....4 posts in a row ???? :hmm: I'm sure your intentions are good but try to get all info in one post, otherwise it looks like you're out looking for some ...no need to bash anyone individually, they made honest mistakes created by a lot of misinformation that's out there. :music:
Well I couldn't figure out to get all the quotes neatly in one post. But I did think of that.

You're right : I'm not out to bash anyone. I'm way too old for that business. But oil technology is the one area that I actually know something ( a little) about, so I'm trying to do my part to get those that need it, "up to speed".

·
Registered
2,917 Posts
va3ux said:
Well I couldn't figure out to get all the quotes neatly in one post. But I did think of that.

You're right : I'm not out to bash anyone. I'm way too old for that business. But oil technology is the one area that I actually know something ( a little) about, so I'm trying to do my part to get those that need it, "up to speed".
And you also made some pretty correct statements fellow Canuck!! :thumbsup:

·
Registered
979 Posts
TERMINATOR101CA said:
And you also made some pretty correct statements fellow Canuck!! :thumbsup:
Where's home Terminator ?

I live in Grimsby, Ontario. About an hour from Toronto and an hour from Buffalo, NY.

And thanks for the compliment by the way. I think I get too stern sounding in some of my posts when I'm in a hurry. I gotta watch that.

·
Registered
2,917 Posts
va3ux said:
Where's home Terminator ?

I live in Grimsby, Ontario. About an hour from Toronto and an hour from Buffalo, NY.

And thanks for the compliment by the way. I think I get too stern sounding in some of my posts when I'm in a hurry. I gotta watch that.
As long as you speak the truth, everything is A-OK ! Toronto BTW.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts