DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What is involved in upgrading a non-ABS SXT to ABS?
I'm assuming the core wiring is in place, but sensors, pump, and master cylinder would need replaced?

Has anyone done this successfully?

direct email response OK
[email protected]

·
Registered
3,934 Posts
SoupManSXT said:
What is involved in upgrading a non-ABS SXT to ABS?
I'm assuming the core wiring is in place, but sensors, pump, and master cylinder would need replaced?

Has anyone done this successfully?

direct email response OK
[email protected]
It is not as easy as it sounds.
You need to add the following:
ABS pump & control module
Master cylinder & brake lines to pump (yes they are different)
wiring to both front and rear wheels (easiest ways is a full body harness, but stringing wiring will work) No wiring is in the SXT for ABS.
all four wheel hubs need to be changed to ABS tone wheel equiped ones
4 pick up sensors added
Wiring for the pump and the ABS computer needs to be added to the main power junction box under the hood, along with the appropriate 30 amp fuses.
You should, by rights, get the ABS harness from a donor car, since the plug that goes into the computer is unique to it, and nothing else will work. You would then get all of the necessary wiring for the above, at least for under the hood.
PCI bus wire needs to be added to the BCM.
Then, the system needs to be primary bled, then it needs to be put on the Scan tool in order to cycle the ABSW pump & computer to bleed the system.
Then, it still may not work.

I have done all of the above, and still the system refuses to properly operate. My local dealer is as stumped as I am, he has run diagnostics and it show to be functional at times and "no PCI bus" at others.
I have tried 3 different ABS computers, and they all work in my "m", so I know it isn't that.
When I get time, I wil be installing a BCM from an ABS car to see if that will cure the problem, though the dealer didn't seem to think it would.
My advice, unless you have plenty of money, time, skill and patience, don't bother.

·
Registered
6,100 Posts
Torontofirecaptain said:
It is not as easy as it sounds.
You need to add the following:
ABS pump & control module
Master cylinder & brake lines to pump (yes they are different)
wiring to both front and rear wheels (easiest ways is a full body harness, but stringing wiring will work) No wiring is in the SXT for ABS.
all four wheel hubs need to be changed to ABS tone wheel equiped ones
4 pick up sensors added
Wiring for the pump and the ABS computer needs to be added to the main power junction box under the hood, along with the appropriate 30 amp fuses.
You should, by rights, get the ABS harness from a donor car, since the plug that goes into the computer is unique to it, and nothing else will work. You would then get all of the necessary wiring for the above, at least for under the hood.
PCI bus wire needs to be added to the BCM.
Then, the system needs to be primary bled, then it needs to be put on the Scan tool in order to cycle the ABSW pump & computer to bleed the system.
Then, it still may not work.

I have done all of the above, and still the system refuses to properly operate. My local dealer is as stumped as I am, he has run diagnostics and it show to be functional at times and "no PCI bus" at others.
I have tried 3 different ABS computers, and they all work in my "m", so I know it isn't that.
When I get time, I wil be installing a BCM from an ABS car to see if that will cure the problem, though the dealer didn't seem to think it would.
My advice, unless you have plenty of money, time, skill and patience, don't bother.
When you say ABS computers Ross, are you referring to PCM's, or is there a separate unit? Also, just for shits n giggles, do you think it might be ties into the ECU?

·
Registered
3,934 Posts
LOUD98ES said:
When you say ABS computers Ross, are you referring to PCM's, or is there a separate unit? Also, just for shits n giggles, do you think it might be ties into the ECU?
The ABS has a separate "brain" that is mounted on the ABS pump. It controls the valving, based on the signals it receives from the wheel sensors and the BCM.
It is not directly connected to the engine/trans control, only through the PCI bus.
According to the FSM trouble shooting section, there is nothing related to the engine control that they suggest checking, only the ABS and BCM.

·
9,861 Posts
You may need new halfshafts as well. I don't think the standard halfshafts have notches for ABS wheel sensors. I know I don't have them on my 1G. I do however have the holes for the wheel sensors in my hubs.

It's really not worth it. Money would probably be better spent on better tires and brake pads.

·
Registered
3,934 Posts
Hypnos said:
You may need new halfshafts as well. I don't think the standard halfshafts have notches for ABS wheel sensors. I know I don't have them on my 1G. I do however have the holes for the wheel sensors in my hubs.

It's really not worth it. Money would probably be better spent on better tires and brake pads.

Yes, you are correct, the halfs are necessary, forgot that the tone wheels are part of them for the front. Thus front hubs are NOT necessary, just rears.
The holes for the sensors are in the knuckle already.

·
Registered
3,983 Posts
Sounds like it would be easier to just but a different car.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts