DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought my '01 Motorsports Edition Intrepid new from the dealer in May. Since then I've only used synthetic oil in my engine. My friend who is a mechanic says I can never go back to conventional oil because it will ruin my engine. I have no plans on going back to non-synthetic oil but I was just wondering if anyone has ever heard of this.

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
I have never heard od it, but I would believe that it is true.

·
Registered
407 Posts
I've actually switched back to conventional motor oil on 1992 Firebird. I used synthetic until the car hit 160,000 and the rear main seal started seeping. I switched to a conventional and it sealed up (no seepage). The last I heard (after selling and buying the Intrepid) is that it now has 179,000 miles and still running.

·
Registered
118 Posts
When synthetic first came out, it didn't "blend" well with conventional oil. So there was some concern about how the leftover synthetic would interact with a fresh load of conventional. But I believe this doesn't apply any longer to today's synthetics.

:)

·
Registered
407 Posts
joekd is right as far as the seals are concerned, if they are lubricated they are fine. My mechanic suggested the conventional because he thought it would help slow the seepage. Result: no more small oil spots in the driveway.

·
Registered
493 Posts
Don't waste your money. Unless you plan on putting 150k on your car, just change your oil every 3-5k and you will be fine.

·
Registered
602 Posts
Never heard of that either. I use Castrol Syntec Blend (Half Synthetic) 5w30 in my 99 Intrepid ES 3.2L. It's supposed to be hella good and protect the engine for severe driving. I guess they all say that though. Is there anything bad about that? Later guys.

MoparPerformance :cool:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts