DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner
1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Time to turbo this beast!

I just aquired a used T04E turbo from a friend. It used to be on his prelude, but it lacked the "adequet power" so its time to see what it will take to boost a 2.7L. I have the manifold in progress and im getting an Intercooler from XS Engineering. But my main concern is FUEL, mainly the right amount of fuel at the right time. So here is the question:

What will i need to keep the motor from going "boom!" under 6psi? Who makes the nessicary parts and gauges needed? If anyone can help me out, it would greatly appreciated. Thanks!

·
Registered
3,503 Posts
What gauges are you referring to? If you are referring to boost, EGT, AF gauges, than those can be bought anywhere (Autometer, Faze, Sunpro, Speedhut, APC, etc).

I'm really not a tubo expert so I'm not sure what type of fuel/boost/engine management you may need.

One note though, and maybe you already know this, but you will need to take into consideration that boost is not the tranny's best friend on these cars. I'm not sure what 6psi or less will do, but it's something that needs to be considered.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thanks for the input, and i should of specified what it was i needed. now i know what i wanted to ask. that is whether or not i need an engine management system or turbo air/fuel computer. you know...the really expensive electronic crap. anyone else wants to chime in with their 2 cents, it would be a big help

·
Registered
1,651 Posts
I would never buy a turbo car or put one on an engine....at least not for a car I drive daily. A turbo is hard on the engine and oil and they go bad after awhile. Sure you get more power, but just look and listen to a turbo car with alot of miles....you'll usually see smoke coming out the exhaust. And putting a turbo on a car without upgrading or reinforcing it is just asking for trouble. Just my 2 cents.

·
Registered
3,552 Posts
Hmmm.....
Turbo on a 2.7?
That's never come up before (sarcasm). :elaine:
Just to throw in my .02, I wouldn't.

The engine probably will tolerate 5 psi or so, but it will really cut your engine life drastically. The 2.7 is a fairly high stressed engine in stock form and pretty close to it's design limit from the factory.

You will have to address fuel but some higher flowing injectors may be sufficient. Remember you'll be going somewhere no one else has been (to the best of my knowledge) so you'll have to work alot of specifics out yourself and that means broken parts and lots of time and money out the window.

If you want to, fill your boots. More power to ya!

But it's gonna be expensive one way or another. Either building it or rebuilding the engine, after it "goes boom" a couple times until you get it reliable. And it's never going to be really fast. If you're lucky, it'll be as fast as a stock R/T but less reliable and alot more expensive. I'd be more inclined to drop in the 3.2/5 and then try goin' at the turbo.

I leave you with this one question/piece of advice:
Before you get into it, ask yourself why you want to do it and how you intend to use the car.
Daily driver= don't do it.
Mom and Dad's car= don't do it.
Nothing better to do with your time/money= well i suppose do it.
Looking for the design challenge even if it means modest improvement= why not.

Cheers

BJ

·
Registered
224 Posts
Don't listen to them, you can do whatever you want.

Either don't do it or:

Look into Remote Mount Turbo (RMT).

-Basically you need to find the right turbo for your engine, so that research is needed, in other words make sure that turbo will work.

-RMTs are easy to adapt to your exhaust, in the rear of the car. Your air filter will be back there too. You basically run the intake tube to the front from all the way back
there.

-Wastegates are easy and are the boost controller. BOVs are also easy, and protect your turbo.

-You also need to run oil pressure to the turbo, once again, easy. Also have a return pump for the oil is cruicial to prevent oil back pressure at the turbo.

-A company makes these kits, I even seen a car show on TV install and endorse a RMT kit for a Vette (but this kit was tuned perfectly too, so thats why it ran so well with no lag).

-Fabrication is your brick wall, if you can do it and have the tools then there ya go.

-Fuel management is most likely just going to be a Boost pressure regulated FPR. So basically it increases the fuel pressure per boost psi, to help the computer make the correct adjustments. Along with that, you are going to have to run 93+ octane forever.

I bet you can finish the project for under $600 if you do all the fabbing.

This is probably the biggest turbo sight in the world, don't be scared about the name (I hate mustangs too), they even have chevy sections. All the info you need is here, you can do anything.
www.turbomustangs.com

·
Registered
2,917 Posts
WhiteHawk said:
Don't listen to them, you can do whatever you want.
]
But he should listen to you right ??? LOL....the turbo lag on that 2.7 it's going to be welll terrible. The 2.7 doesn't have enough exhaust pressure to make a RMT feasible unless you like to get the turbo kick in a couple of min. when you're trying to brake or get into a parking lot. Supercharge is more doable on a 2.7, maybe mount it where your AC compressor goes, perfect spot, and you'll have not much lag if at all. Less fabrication too, and your engine will run cooler wich with a 2.7 isn't a bad thing to have since they run really hot in the heads. I put my vote for a supercharger as being more reliable and an easier setup. :fun_74:

·
Registered
224 Posts
TERMINATOR101CA said:
But he should listen to you right ??? LOL....the turbo lag on that 2.7 it's going to be welll terrible. The 2.7 doesn't have enough exhaust pressure to make a RMT feasible unless you like to get the turbo kick in a couple of min. when you're trying to brake or get into a parking lot. Supercharge is more doable on a 2.7, maybe mount it where your AC compressor goes, perfect spot, and you'll have not much lag if at all. Less fabrication too, and your engine will run cooler wich with a 2.7 isn't a bad thing to have since they run really hot in the heads. I put my vote for a supercharger as being more reliable and an easier setup. :fun_74:
You could be right about my double negative, but I was just making a comment about all the anti-turbo people :)

Do they make a supercharger for the 2.7? Most likely it will cost a few thousand dollars, but i'm sure it will be an easy bolt on.

If an RMT makes boost, the car will get more Air into the cylinder. Even if you do lag, it will run faster then with no turbo at all.

·
Registered
3,552 Posts
I'm not anti turbo. I've owner a couple and loved some hated others. (Shelby GLH-S was my fav, that was one fun little bugger!).
The 2.7 in stock form is not the best candidate for a turbo application.

Cheers

BJ

·
Registered
2,917 Posts
WhiteHawk said:
You could be right about my double negative, but I was just making a comment about all the anti-turbo people :)

Do they make a supercharger for the 2.7? Most likely it will cost a few thousand dollars, but i'm sure it will be an easy bolt on.

If an RMT makes boost, the car will get more Air into the cylinder. Even if you do lag, it will run faster then with no turbo at all.
An Eaton would fit easily with the right brackets, like the ones from the GTPs. And you could pick them up for a few hundred bucks on Ebay or locally. I just think that a 2.7 is too small of an engine for a RMT, not enough displacement.
The internal heat rise from a turbo would destroy the 2.7 in no time, and we really don't have too much room for a FMIC. :smile:
http://cgi.ebay.ca/Eaton-Roots-type...075708855QQcategoryZ33741QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
http://cgi.ebay.ca/EATON-M90-SUPERC...076065088QQcategoryZ33741QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
http://cgi.ebay.ca/Ford-Thunderbird...076851576QQcategoryZ33741QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

·
Registered
3,552 Posts
Ummm.....
The problem with turbo's AND superchargers is the heat produced by compressing air. That's why intercoolers and such are required for high boost levels.
Compressed air in a supercharger is every bit as hot as a turbo (well, turbo may be slightly hotter from exhaust heat tranfer through the metal casing).

Heat is the enemy to boost, but they both make heat. It's the act of compressing the air that makes it.

Cheers

BJ

·
Registered
2,917 Posts
Great White said:
Ummm.....
The problem with turbo's AND superchargers is the heat produced by compressing air. That's why intercoolers and such are required for high boost levels.
Compressed air in a supercharger is every bit as hot as a turbo (well, turbo may be slightly hotter from exhaust heat tranfer through the metal casing).

Heat is the enemy to boost, but they both make heat. It's the act of compressing the air that makes it.

Cheers

BJ
Superchargers are proven to be more reliable that turbo setups, and I wouldn't even think of running any serious boost in a stock 2.7.....

·
Registered
224 Posts
Not too sound like a male member, but turbos will survive well past 100,000 miles easy if you do 3k oil changes and don't heat soak the turbo, if 100,000 miles isn't long enough then I don't know what is.

Many turbos have been in diesels, I don't think they have a durability issue.

As far as I know, aftermarket roots blowers leak and are not efficient. Superchargers are good for INSTANT power, thats all.

·
Registered
224 Posts
TurboTrep20 said:
Time to turbo this beast!

What will i need to keep the motor from going "boom!" under 6psi? Who makes the nessicary parts and gauges needed? If anyone can help me out, it would greatly appreciated. Thanks!
What will i need to keep the motor from going "boom!" under 6psi?
A tuned engine that doesn't knock or detonate. Your tranny might not survive, add an aftermarket cooler at the least. Do not use sticky tires or you will break stuff easy on those launches, probably just regular street treds.

Who makes the nessicary parts and gauges needed?
eBay has alot of wastegates and BOVs, guages are just a boost guage, fuel pressure for sure, and an A/F guage is a good idea. Summitracing.com

·
Registered
3,552 Posts
Turbo's are popular as they are in effect, recycling lost HP. They use the waste exhaust to spin the compressor. Almost a free lunch situation.
A supercharger is parasitic. It produces power, but requires a fair amount of power to spin it.

Diesels run both superchargers and turbo's. It's just a choice the OE manufacturers makes according to what they see as best for their particular application.

Neither is more or less reliable. Superchargers are susceptible to wear and the close tolerances they need to be effeicient, turbo's live in the corrosive and heat soak (oil coking) enviroment of the exhaust system.

Pick your poison.

·
Registered
2,917 Posts
WhiteHawk said:
Not too sound like a male member, but turbos will survive well past 100,000 miles easy if you do 3k oil changes and don't heat soak the turbo, if 100,000 miles isn't long enough then I don't know what is.

Many turbos have been in diesels, I don't think they have a durability issue.

As far as I know, aftermarket roots blowers leak and are not efficient. Superchargers are good for INSTANT power, thats all.
Yeah, but diesel engines will last way longer than gas engines, simple physics lower RPMs less wear and tear. Well I never said they wouldn't I just said that a turbo setup on a 2.7 will really shorten it's life significantly. And what would be your problem with INSTANT power ???? Isn't that what everybody is aiming for anyway ???? :wink:

·
Registered
224 Posts
TERMINATOR101CA said:
Yeah, but diesel engines will last way longer than gas engines, simple physics lower RPMs less wear and tear. Well I never said they wouldn't I just said that a turbo setup on a 2.7 will really shorten it's life significantly. And what would be your problem with INSTANT power ???? Isn't that what everybody is aiming for anyway ???? :wink:
Whoa step back terminator!

Diesels are put through much more abuse then a gas engine can ever handle. A diesel engine is basically following the concept of bigger is better. There is NO replacement for cross-sectional area, and if you ever compare a diesel crank/pistons/rods to a gas engines same components, you will see a "huge" difference (pun intended). Diesels run more then 20:1 (gas car 10:1), so combustion pressures are way up there to, diesels are truely BEASTs, and if you maintain them properly, they will just keep going and going and going and going.

A 2.7 may not beable to handle a turbo for very long, but that is not the point, the point is to have something nobody has and also to have fun with it :icon16:

·
Registered
728 Posts
I laugh every time I see some one ask how to turbo their car on here. Not because its a silly question, but because of the ridiculus answers and comments. People here prove their lack of knowledge everytime this question is asked. Theres nothing wrong with not knowing, but trying to sound like you do is just foolish. 2.7's Are junk. Any harm that comes the engine wont be caused by the boost(within reason), but because its a 2.7 or because of an improper tune. TurboTrep 20, PM me your questions and what trim the turbo is and how much power you want to make realistically.

1 - 20 of 51 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.