DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Today as i'm driving my 1998 Dodge Intrepid, my check engine light came on and my Tachometer and Speedometer dropped to 0. This makes me think that the output speed sensor on the transmission is shot but I can't understand why the tachometer would be affected by that. Any ideas?

Thanks,
Chris

·
Registered
4,388 Posts
Yeah I was wondering the same if the car was stalling out that would explain the tach going to 0 but not the CEL. I think the CEL eventually goes out after a few seconds with the key on and engine not running. Do the key dance and check for codes.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
No the car didn't stall. It continued driving just fine actually. As far as i could tell, it was shifting properly as well. After a minute, the check engine light went off and the tach and speedo came back online. It did this a couple of times so far.

Chris

·
Registered
2,840 Posts
check ur fuses, one of my brake lights blew out and my dash went out, and side markers as well. car ran fine but when i put thefuse back in CEL came on and then went away by the time i got home. My speedo, tach, lcd gear,, etc also did not come on.

The fuse was in the drivers side panel.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I doubt it's a fuse since the problem comes and goes. I don't know of many fuses that heal themselves :)

I checked for codes but all that I got was P1684 which is expected i guess. After that it went back to -------- and sat there. It never said "done" or anything but maybe the 98 models don't do that.

Chris

·
Registered
4,388 Posts
The input sensor might be what feeds the tach for engine speed and the output feeds the speedo for vehicle speed. I guess if both went at the same time it would explain both occurances of tach and speedo issues. But it still leaves why the CEL came on but no codes other than the 1684 which can be ignored. Do tranny codes come up on the CEL like for the input/output sensors? And is it sensor issues or wiring issues? Unless both sensors are going bad at the exact same time, is it possible that there's a common wire for both, like the + volts or ground that could be going intermittant?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts