DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I was replacing my low beams with some superwhite bulbs and wanted to take a look at my tail lights to see what kind they were. I looked in the trunk and undid the two plastic "screws" that were holding it in and the tail light didn't move. Is there more to taking off the tail light setup? And what bulbs does it take? Also does anyone know what kind of licence plate bulbs it takes (and how to get to there)?

-Thanks, Luis

·
Registered
4,980 Posts
Yup, there is a third plastic screw towards the top. You can't see it, you have to reach your hand up and you'll feel it.

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
after I figured it out I felt like an idiot, now I do not feel as bad that others had trouble.;)

·
Registered
4,811 Posts
DC must like to hide ****. :) In the first gens 2 of the 4 screws are behind the carpet on each light.

·
Registered
2,220 Posts
LRM, I hope the superwhite bulbs you were putting in were not higher than the 55w that the OEM bulbs are... I burned out my daytime running light module by putting in a pair of 80w superwhites.

As soon as I could get some PIAA's, I took those 80w's out and put the 55w PIAA's in. The 80w's (and 100w's if you get the high beams) make a lot of heat, and in the summer especially that can't be good for the bulb mounts (the thing you turn a little to screw in the bulb).

Just a word of caution. Take it with a grain of salt if you'd like. :)

·
Registered
11,278 Posts
I still recommend PIAA bulbs. They are expensive but are also the best.

I recently met with another DI.net member (hug311) and showed him the PIAA lows and OEM highs together. We both agreed that the PIAA lights were pure white and noticably bette than the OEM highs

·
Registered
1,169 Posts
pimped3point3

we dont hide things we just put them out of the way:biggrin:

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
headlights

Actually, I did put 80w bulbs in my low beams and was thinking of putting another pair of 80w in the high beams, I had no trouble in my old car with them, but I know my brother had tons of problems with them. I guess some cars can handle them, and others can't. But you say that the 80w bulbs are no good in the 2nd gen Intrepids? Has anyone else had problems with higher wattage bulbs? I may have to make an investment in some PIAA's then.

-Later, Luis

·
Registered
2,220 Posts
Yes, I can only speak for my 2nd-gen Intrepid. It would probably not be such a big deal if I didn't have daytime running lights, except for the heat that those bulbs put out, which can be a consideration in the summer.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Piaa bulbs

Well, my brother just bought some Piaa H4's and even though I haven't seen them yet, I decided to rather be safe than sorry. So I just bought some Piaa 51w 9006 Xtreme white low beams. I got them at www.autosupermart.com. I also paid extra for the 2nd day UPS air. So it ended up being $85. Not bad considering around here they run $80-$90 for standard Piaa bulbs. Hopefully I'll become a believer as well.

-Later, Luis

·
Registered
383 Posts
Re: headlights

LRM214 said:
But you say that the 80w bulbs are no good in the 2nd gen Intrepids? Has anyone else had problems with higher wattage bulbs?
I have had the exact same problem as mentioned in this thread. No more DRL's as a result of 80W bulbs.

Not a big issue to me though. I hate DRL's. I simply use my parking/fog lights most of the time. Looks cool that way, not just a light a partial burn.......

·
Registered
349 Posts
Just my opinion here, but I can't stand it when people use high wattage bulbs for their low beams. Sure, you can see better, but what about the person you're shining those at? I know that around here, there are quite a few people with the higher wattage bulbs and I have no tolerance for those cars (mainly hondas and acuras... especially trucks since I'm in their direct beam pattern). I'll turn my highbeams on at them since they feel it's necessary to blind other drivers. I have a set of 100w driving lights that come on with my highbeams to see better during times I use my highbeams, but to also make a point across to those I flash.

No offense to those that like to use them, but I just don't find any point in the higher wattage bulbs. I'm sure you can see fine with the standard 55w bulbs for the low beams... that's why they make standards.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts