DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,102 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
anyone even get a loan over the internet for a used car?
i applyed at 2 different sites. one says i gotta buy from there car lot. (sorry no thanks) and one just sends you a check in your name to cash and buy a car anywhere.(e-loan) anyone else have any luck with this type of loan? im looking to get a $5,000 loan. so i can go buy a car (my trep died)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,522 Posts
I had success w/lending tree. Overall I was very impressed with the process, I got the loan check from capital one, and it is good for 30 days and if you don't use it no harm done. The only draw back with them was the minimum loan was $7500
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
525 Posts
I went with lending tree, and they are very good. Got a really good deal with AmeriCredit. They sent the check in the mail, and I went picked out the Intrepid.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
531 Posts
EspizTrep said:
anyone even get a loan over the internet for a used car?
i applyed at 2 different sites. one says i gotta buy from there car lot. (sorry no thanks) and one just sends you a check in your name to cash and buy a car anywhere.(e-loan) anyone else have any luck with this type of loan? im looking to get a $5,000 loan. so i can go buy a car (my trep died)
I have bought both of my Intrepids with those loans. One was from People First LLC in California and this June was with Capital One. You tell them what kind of car you are looking for and a maximum amount that you'll need to borrow. They send you a check that is good for up to that amount but there is a minimum amount you can borrow, they don't want you buying a $1500 car with the check. I'm not sure if they support buying a car from a private party that way or if you have to buy from a dealer for some reason.

If you are in a hurry when you apply online, agree to pay the $5 or $10 charge for overnight sending of your loan check because I guarantee you that it will take another day, another day, for it to show up if you are anxious for it to arrive. My check was supposed to go out on Thursday but as of Saturday it hadn't arrived yet. The car was 120 miles from here and it was going to work out perfectly for me to get it on Saturday - instead I had to finagle a ride out on a bus on Monday evening, ugh. For the few extra bucks I could have been able to plan.

I don't think these online auto loan companies are into the 'Bad credit OK, no credit OK, bankruptcy OK...' thing. It probably does take a solid credit rating, steady employment etc. to qualify. Lucky for me my credit rating is about as good as it could be; after I applied online Capital One told me in about two minutes that I qualified for the loan. I think it's a great system, and I wouldn't finance any other way.
(Pictured are my two Internet Loan Intrepids....)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,102 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
well i just tryed capital one for $7500. i have a credit card with them so i figure id have a better shot with them. my credit is so so. (today they are closed and i shoudl hear from them tomorrow) if i get approved then ill be going to get my car pretty damn soon lol. dunno what car tho... im kindda liking the camero like a 99 ish. but im stil undecided. i may stay with a chry. tho soooooo i dunno lol. taking the bus sucks. i need something thats gonna last me for as long as imma be paying for it or more lol
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,102 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
also... if im buying a car. for $7500 with a capital one black check.... the car would be be paid off for the dealership or private party so will full coverage insurance be needed ? or could i get away with having just liability for a few months? i wanna use the same plates and insurance policy from the trep im patiung out now.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
531 Posts
EspizTrep said:
also... if im buying a car. for $7500 with a capital one black check.... the car would be be paid off for the dealership or private party so will full coverage insurance be needed ? or could i get away with having just liability for a few months? i wanna use the same plates and insurance policy from the trep im patiung out now.
I believe you do have to get full coverage on the car including fire, theft, and collision. Otherwise, the car gets crashed or stolen and the owner can stop paying and the lender is SOL. Either there is nothing to repossess or else they can come get a junk pile. You can bet they are not going to leave themselves open to that scene. Insurance on your older Intrepid isn't going to just swap onto the new car like a tire - they want the VIN number, and somehow I doubt that the insurance you have on an older Intrepid being parted out, is sufficient for a newer vehicle worth $7500 or more.l

Due to how the paperwork is processed, they will hold the title and their name is on it as lienholder, same as with any car loan. Shop carefully and buy a car that is really worthwhile and will last. Don't overpay just because you like the car. Get your money's worth so the car will last as long as the payments.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,100 Posts
EspizTrep said:
also... if im buying a car. for $7500 with a capital one black check.... the car would be be paid off for the dealership or private party so will full coverage insurance be needed ? or could i get away with having just liability for a few months? i wanna use the same plates and insurance policy from the trep im patiung out now.
If you're gonna be $7500 in the hole for a car, you dam well better have full coverage. You rear end somebody with no collision, you're ****ed. Also, how's your credit? Credit Unions have excellent interest rates. I've financed my Jeep, my Sebring, and now my 300M Special through the same credit Union, all at less than 6%.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
531 Posts
LOUD98ES said:
If you're gonna be $7500 in the hole for a car, you dam well better have full coverage. You rear end somebody with no collision, you're ****ed.
Basically that's the whole thing. Even if you can get a loan, if you can't afford insurance, you still can't afford the car. I just paid 6 months full coverage including collision on my 03 SXT; $241.70. I can handle that. (There are advantages to being 50 and living in a fairly rural state, and having a clean driving record.)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
677 Posts
Get an old piece of crap that'll last you a year. Then buy another one etc etc until your rates go down a bit. It's actually amazing what you can get for $1000. Good luck!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,041 Posts
Treppin99 said:
Get an old piece of crap that'll last you a year. Then buy another one etc etc until your rates go down a bit. It's actually amazing what you can get for $1000. Good luck!
I agree, there is alot around from $1000 to $4000. Down the road from me there is a white 2nd Gen ES Trep with leather and a sunroof for $3200. There is alot of good deal's around for cheap, if you look around. Don't get into trouble by getting a loan on a car that you can't afford. At least if you get a cheap car, and pay cash, you don't need full coverage on it. Anyway's I wish you the best on finding a new car !!!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,102 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
what bout leasing..... full coverage is deff. needed on that correct? lol. see , my delemma is this. i dont wanna spend $1000 on a crap car cause ill be getting like 5000-6000$ in january from income tax $. soooo i dont wanna spend 1000$ for only maybe 2 months of use. ... but i need something for now due to my mother being sick. sooooo i dunno what i should do. i was thinking to finance a car for $5000. pay the payments for 2 months then with the income tax money just pay it all off. but then i would need full coverage for those firt few months. soooo im stuck. lol.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,600 Posts
I recommend getting a $1000 beater and driving it until it disintegrates. While you are driving this, you can let that refund chill in your bank account and search for a really good deal on a car you are interested in. It's hard to let that much cash sit around but fight the urge to spend it quick.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
531 Posts
04IntrepidSXT said:
I recommend getting a $1000 beater and driving it until it disintegrates. While you are driving this, you can let that refund chill in your bank account and search for a really good deal on a car you are interested in. It's hard to let that much cash sit around but fight the urge to spend it quick.
I second that motion. No reason to spend all you possibly can on a car, especially when it's going to need very expen$ive insurance. Don't flush your finances on a set of wheels. Back in the 90's I picked up an 8 or 9 year old LTD-2, basically a glorified Ford Fairmont. Paid $700 for it and it needed a throttle position sensor. Had the most comfortable seats, power everything (it all worked), FM stereo and tape, cruise, new tires, new exhaust, new battery, no rust, it was an absolute steal. Drove like a million bucks. Homely as hell but you could drive it 70 mph past a cop and it was like invisible, it was so mundane. Great car! You can get some excellent vehicles without spending a lot, or you can spend $5000 or $6000 and get a lemon. Don't let your car rule your life by strangling your finances.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,552 Posts
Well, leasing is out if you have to even consider insurance costs. Full coverage or no lease.
I'd look for a dependable car first, then a "cool" car second.
After all, it's a car man. It has to get you from here to there, it's no good to anyone if it's cool and sitting in the driveway.
To that end, a beater would be good for winter, assuming you have alternate means of transport should it fail you (winter has a habit of bringing out ever weakness in a vehicle).
This would also give you time to look for the car you want considering all the factors important to you (ie: insurance cost vs repair costs vs reliability vs cool factor, etc).

I guess the best advice I can give you is:

Do your research (read consumer reports, reveiws, etc), get a dependable vehicle first, cool car second.

As I said, it's just a car. Remember what it primarily has to do (ie work everytime you turn the key), everthing else is secondary.

Cheers

BJ
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,102 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
yea. i figured out probably what im going to do. me and my brother are gonna go half and half on a clunker just for the time being. as long as i have it on weekends to go upstate and see the fiance then its all good. either me or him would be able to take my mom to doctor appointments and such. in january imma do taxes and really look for a car. im trying to find somthing well priced but looks good and drives good. something with leather sunroof maybe a coupe. dunno. i can get a 98 camero with 112k for like 3500. looks mint inside and out. engine looks clean like its new. im thinking about it. i got till january to figure it out. id love to stay with the whole dodge/chry. scene. i might look into getting a 00' 300m .... Hmmmm.
 

·
get off my lawn
Joined
·
15,507 Posts
may be cheaper for you to move,,,,,
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
531 Posts
EspizTrep said:
yea. i figured out probably what im going to do. me and my brother are gonna go half and half on a clunker just for the time being. as long as i have it on weekends to go upstate and see the fiance then its all good. either me or him would be able to take my mom to doctor appointments and such. in january imma do taxes and really look for a car. im trying to find somthing well priced but looks good and drives good. something with leather sunroof maybe a coupe. dunno. i can get a 98 camero with 112k for like 3500. looks mint inside and out. engine looks clean like its new. im thinking about it. i got till january to figure it out. id love to stay with the whole dodge/chry. scene. i might look into getting a 00' 300m .... Hmmmm.
I would avoid a '98 Camaro with 112K for $3500 like the plague. You're talking about a car that's about to turn nine model years old and wasn't known for being all that reliable in the first place. Winter is coming. Get something reliable, something that can get through some snow. I think the only $3500 car I would consider with over 100K on it would be something like a Camry, to tell the truth.
 
1 - 20 of 20 Posts
Top