DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello so i developed a knock on the drivers side and want to pull the head off to see if the problem if from a broken valve etc... if so it should be an easy fix as i have location of some good heads that i could pop on with new pistons. The cover is off the cams are out, but the cam sprocket is still attached to the timing chain...is there a tensioner that i need to loosen somewhere to loosen the chain so i can unhook that and pull off the head and see if that is where the damage is.Thank you for the help.

·
yippee ki yay
5,811 Posts

·
I hit **** with sticks!
37,746 Posts
I would pull the oil pan and check the rod bearings to start with. The knock is likely in the bottom end.

·
yippee ki yay
5,811 Posts
are replacing rod bearings an option or not really or is the motor pretty much gone at that point requiring a new crank...?
if it's knocking and 2 at 209k miles i'd got for a regrounded crank...also if your going to dump alot of money into it...you might be better with a 3.5 swap

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
ive been weighing my options, if it was head damage it would be an easy fix, if the rod bearings are bad I am going to swap to a 25000 mile 3.5 for 1100.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Im just lazy and its freaking cold outside if my 2 car garage had a door on it i could run a propane heater...if it was warm out i would already have that motor out and the 3.5 in.

·
I hit **** with sticks!
37,746 Posts
are replacing rod bearings an option or not really or is the motor pretty much gone at that point requiring a new crank...?
If it has a spun bearing its an automatic crankshaft kit, or regrind. The rods will need to have their bores checked as well and replaced/machined true if out of round. All rods should be checked, especially with that mileage.

Any 2.7 I have ever messed with that needed a crank kit got a full rebuild or got replaced with a 3.2/5. If you dont do a full rebuild at that point, you are asking for trouble down the road.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
If it has a spun bearing its an automatic crankshaft kit, or regrind. The rods will need to have their bores checked as well and replaced/machined true if out of round. All rods should be checked, especially with that mileage.

Any 2.7 I have ever messed with that needed a crank kit got a full rebuild or got replaced with a 3.2/5. If you don't do a full rebuild at that point, you are asking for trouble down the road.
Yeah im not going to do a full rebuild on a 2.7 figure it would cost around a $1000 in parts, plus my time, the 3.2/5 seems like the most logical way to go ($1000-1500....More HP too). the motor still runs, just with a knock, water pump hasn't failed either which surprised me...the 2.7 and I had a good run it went out with its boots on thats for sure @63-500 RPMs coming out of a corner hit railroad tracks and suddenly lost power. Im sure it would of gone another 20,000+ if i drove it like it had always been driven. Not a bad engine if you can maintain it as for all engines I guess. Im thankful for getting one of the good 2.7s :D I'll tear into it some more tomorrow to and see if i get lucky. Another question whats the best way to drop the exhaust on this thing, how do you disconnect it from the exhaust manifold there's like this cheesy metal cover surrounding the headers? If I can get the exhaust done while the engine is out of the car that would be a plus i would believe.

Thanks for the help guys I really appreciate it. Its nice to get on a forum like this and get pro advice from someone with good rep on the site when I'm not the average daily poster. I might have to stick around and give back...

·
I hit **** with sticks!
37,746 Posts
Yeah im not going to do a full rebuild on a 2.7 figure it would cost around a $1000 in parts, plus my time, the 3.2/5 seems like the most logical way to go ($1000-1500....More HP too). the motor still runs, just with a knock, water pump hasn't failed either which surprised me...the 2.7 and I had a good run it went out with its boots on thats for sure @63-500 RPMs coming out of a corner hit railroad tracks and suddenly lost power. Im sure it would of gone another 20,000+ if i drove it like it had always been driven. Not a bad engine if you can maintain it as for all engines I guess. Im thankful for getting one of the good 2.7s :D I'll tear into it some more tomorrow to and see if i get lucky. Another question whats the best way to drop the exhaust on this thing, how do you disconnect it from the exhaust manifold there's like this cheesy metal cover surrounding the headers? If I can get the exhaust done while the engine is out of the car that would be a plus i would believe.

Thanks for the help guys I really appreciate it. Its nice to get on a forum like this and get pro advice from someone with good rep on the site when I'm not the average daily poster. I might have to stick around and give back...
There is a v-band clamp just to the front of each catalytic converter....loosen the bolt all the way and tap the V bands around the pipe with a hammer and punch to break it loose, if you want more movement remove the exhaust hanger bolts underneath at the rear of the transmission. There are two band clamps behind the transmission, remove the bolts or cut them if you live in the rust belt...and the pipe will slide right out...rest of it is generally welded, but by removing the rubber exhaust hangers you can drop the whole system out of the car pretty quickly...depending on how far you want to go.

I ran into the same 2.7 issue on my concorde. Bought the car blown up, plan was to rebuild the 2.7 and be done, but the machine work and parts alone totalled 1500$ with me doing the rebuilding, and I ended up buying a 3.2 with 56K complete for less than that and dropping it in...

·
Registered
2,048 Posts
not to get off topic.....but you had a concorde Dan??

and everything they said...RJ and Dan are pretty much known as the 2.7L gods on this forum

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
not to get off topic.....but you had a concorde Dan??

and everything they said...RJ and Dan are pretty much known as the 2.7L gods on this forum
Yeah Dan's concorde write up was a good read. I thought it had a motor in it when he bought it and then looked at the picturess i was surprised that the engine failed with only 79,000 :glum: Rj's video on one of the 2.7s he was working on said it was his 3rd time going through the 2.7....Patience is key :D I own a 300m 3.5HO and a Concorde 3.2 and the trep should soon be a 3.2/5.

·
I hit **** with sticks!
37,746 Posts
1 - 20 of 28 Posts