DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
14,848 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking for suggestions for doing my own tax return this year. Since 12+ years ago, a family friend has done my taxes and now she is retiring and will not be able to do them this year. (she works at one of the large tax return places)

Neverless, I have not kept up with tax software programs that are out there.

What home programs (bought or free) would you recommend or do you use?

Family of four with two working parents and an Intrepid.

Thanks.

·
That rhythm is INFECTIOUS.
18,595 Posts
I've been a TurboTax fan for probably 10+ years. No audits yet! LOL

Handles the insanely easy as well as the moderately complex.

·
I hit **** with sticks!
37,426 Posts
I have used H&R Block to create the returns and file online for several years. Very simple, will ask you the right questions, and you can file from their site for a fee, both state and federal.

TurboTax is just as good as H&R Block, I tend to alternate between the two sometimes.

·
Registered
14,848 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Good information, I need to determine what that fee is from H&R Block (it's a 'new' fee to me...)

Is Turbo Tax a program you buy or use their online software with a fee?

·
That rhythm is INFECTIOUS.
18,595 Posts
Good information, I need to determine what that fee is from H&R Block (it's a 'new' fee to me...)

There are many places online that will file your return for 'free' - but those are usually just those that are eligible for 1040EZ.

Turbo Tax runs about $50 - can find it on sale sometimes. It's deductible. :D

·
Registered
631 Posts

I can't tell you about H&R Block's software, but going in person can be pricey. I use TurboTax, which can be used online or as a program. I have used it both ways, but now use the software. I can't remember the exact fees, but state was about $40, after using the one free state that is provided, and federal $50-60 (Any FREE Federal filing is usually 1040EZ only). I can tell you for sure on Jan 30th 12:05am.

TurboTax Prices

·
Registered
14,848 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks, I have enough info to move forward.

Miss those big company free perks. Some bean counter changed a nice entity.

·
I hit **** with sticks!
37,426 Posts
H&R Block is going to cost $54.90 total. $19.95 for federal and $34.95 for state.

I might file state the old fashioned way, and just pay the $19.95, depends on what the refund turns out to be.

·
Registered
4,313 Posts
Fair warning of turbo tax, its free but they started this thing where it kinda upgrades you to basic for 20 bucks without warning and no stepping back and you gotta ***** at support to the point they give you a code to do it for free.

·
Registered
6,239 Posts
those ads are generated mostly by what you/your computer has been surfing for lately
This forum isn't nearly as good at doing so as most places though. I'm getting ads for hybrid cars and I haven't shopped for a car ever on this computer or expressed interests in hybrids. A lot of places use google to run the targeted ads.

I try to use "my wife's" service as much as "my wife" will allow. :rollgrin:

·
Registered
14,848 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
1 - 17 of 17 Posts