DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2,676 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I don't use half the stuff i buy. Why should this be any different ;)

BTW - if anyone cares, i'm posting this wirelessly on my iPAQ with my cell phone :)

·
Banned
3,574 Posts
If you rent (as I do) here in Minnesota, you are entitled to a Property Tax Rebate every year. My wife and I are going to be getting some $400+ back, plus $300+ in a state income tax rebate plus the $500+ in the Federal. All within the next 2-6 weeks. I think I am going to use part of it for a new HDD and a video card of at least 32MB. This 4 gig drive and 4MB on board card ain't cutting it no more. :)

·
Registered
2,220 Posts
LHSer, if you're looking for a new HDD, I'd recommend IBM's Deskstar 75GXP series. I have the 30GB drive, but they go up to 75GB. I love this drive. It's fast, quiet, and reliable.

As for video card, I have a GeForce 2-MX based card with 32MB and I have been very pleased. You're getting an AGP card, right?

·
Registered
2,220 Posts
Intrepid98, that's cool that you still live with your parents. While there are times I wish I were living with my dad and his fianceé because it's decidedly cheaper, I love living on my own. :)

And, besides, there are certain things about me that my dad (and especially his fianceé) don't agree with (which is putting it mildly), which is a big part of why I moved out in the first place... but that's another story. :)

·
Registered
2,676 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well, I am only 21, and my parents are paying for college.

I'm in no hurry to move out :D (of course my g/f doesn't liek that idea)

They pay for everything, so all the money I make I can spend on stuff I want :)

and luckily, my parents don't care what i do, so it's not like i have any rules or anything :)

it's great!!

·
Registered
2,220 Posts
Wow, Intrepid98, great deal. :D

I'm only 21 as well. I moved out mainly because life at home was suffocating to my "lifestyle" (if you know what I mean), as I was made to feel unwelcome by my dad's fianceé because of who I am.

Fortunately, I make enough money working as a computer/network technician to afford my apartment, this new car, and most of the things I want. :)

·
Banned
3,574 Posts
I'm 22 and I moved here from Alberta, Canada in August of last year.

My wife and I have custody of her loser sister and husbands kid. We don't even consider him thiers anymore. He calls us mom and dad, etc. Oh yeah, and he'll be three in September.

Kudos for living at home. I remember what that was like, but when the time came, I left the nest.

PS Definatley AGP. 32MB is a must too. As for an HD, probably no more than 30GB since I know that is more than I'll use.

·
Registered
2,676 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Originally posted by LHSer:
As for an HD, probably no more than 30GB since I know that is more than I'll use.

That's what I said when I bought a 2GB drive years ago ;) Thought I could use it forever :)

30GB is big enough for a great MP3 collection, but pretty soon your gonna want to start ripping your DVD's and downloading movies (if you haven't already). You'll wish you had a bigger drive then :)

I say if you can afford a bigger drive, go for it :D

·
Banned
3,574 Posts
The computer I am putting this stuff on is a near three year old Compaq Presario. Since I don't have broadband, and have no desire to rip DVD's (yet) so 30GB is plenty. I plan on buying a new computer in the next few months, and when I do it'll be top o' the line constructed by myself.

This one will either become a paperweight or a Linux box, most likley the latter.

·
Registered
2,220 Posts
I agree that you should get the biggest hard drive you can afford. On the other hand, I wouldn't necessarily recommend that for you, LHSer, because, as you say, the computer is relatively old.

I bought a 30GB drive simply because I have my interests and uses for that space gagued pretty well. I'm not expecting some "killer app" to come along anytime soon that'll require extraordinary amounts of space. :) And besides, I have another 30GB drive laying around (also an IBM Deskstar 75GXP) that I can use if I feel the need to.

Speaking of DVD's and such, Toshiba makes a very neato DVD-ROM/CD-RW drive for under $200. It's an 8x DVD-ROM, 8x CD-RW, and 32x CD-ROM (yes, it rewrites at 8x). When I bought it, I was very impressed. It's sooo convenient to have just one device for that stuff... and a bit faster too, since there's just one device on that IDE cable. :)

·
Registered
2,220 Posts
I agree that you should get the biggest hard drive you can afford. On the other hand, I wouldn't necessarily recommend that for you, LHSer, because, as you say, the computer is relatively old.

I bought a 30GB drive simply because I have my interests and uses for that space gauged pretty well. I'm not expecting some "killer app" to come along anytime soon that'll require extraordinary amounts of space. :) And besides, I have another 30GB drive laying around (also an IBM Deskstar 75GXP) that I can use if I feel the need to.

Speaking of DVD's and such, Toshiba makes a very neato DVD-ROM/CD-RW drive for under $200. It's an 8x DVD-ROM, 8x CD-RW, and 32x CD-ROM (yes, it rewrites at 8x). When I bought it, I was very impressed. It's sooo convenient to have just one device for that stuff... and a bit faster too, since there's just one device on that IDE cable. :)

·
Registered
25 Posts
do a search through Ebay for Clarion's AutoPC... has built in GPS.. the stereo will talk to you and tell you how to get to your destination... it will dial your cell phone, tell you poeple's phone numbers and email addresses. Other optional features are that it's software is upgradable and can also play MP3 disks... Among other things. It runs, however, at over 500 bucks... usually $525 but it's not too bad considering all it can do.. Includes all things necessary. check it out :) I plan on getting it eventually.. christmas present to me :)

·
Registered
220 Posts
Originally posted by 00ChryslerIntrepid:
LHSer, if you're looking for a new HDD, I'd recommend IBM's Deskstar 75GXP series. I have the 30GB drive, but they go up to 75GB. I love this drive. It's fast, quiet, and reliable.
I agree...Ive taken care of many systems at my work, some new some old, and I've never had to replace an IBM drive... Maxtors, WDs, Seagates, and the occasional quantum, but Never an IBM...

1 - 17 of 17 Posts