DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
TCM Swap makes no difference...new tranny time?

So perhaps some of you have been following my plight with my '95 3.3 Intrepid. It wasn't shifting very good, then went from bad to worse. Transmission shop said my overdrive would die soon. It did. Then 3rd gear went.

At first I thought it was just going into limp mode. It may be. but it seems that it simply wouldn't shift into overdrive. It would try like 3 times and then decide 3rd was fine. Now it tries 3rd gear 3 times and settles on 2nd. 40mph = 3000RPM. So thats definatly 2nd. It may be limp mode too because it never leaves 2nd gear. Unless I shut the car off. Then it starts in first and goes to 2nd and attempts 3rd. Once in a great while it will do 3rd, until I slow down, then its back to 2nd.

I recently swapped TCMs with a friend who has a '94 Eagle Vision (same TCM). No difference. Immediatly stayed in 2nd.

So in my limited experience, this says my overdrive and 3rd gear bands are shot and therefore the transmission needs rebuilt or replaced.

But what do you think?

·
Registered
2,680 Posts
Get a 03 or newer trans. Mine was $385. Cost effective, and you won't have to
worry about your trans anymore. Plus you can keep your trep.
Installation isn't that difficult, as long as you have patience and adequate room to work on your car. Check out car-part.com

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You raise a good question. I've heard the newer transmissions will bolt directly into the older Intrepids and I've heard they can but require modification. Which is is? Which transmissions will bolt into my '95 Intrepid.

Bear in mind I have limited technical know-how.

·
Registered
321 Posts
yeah mines doing the same crap right now just started sunday night was fine after i replaced the input sensor, then was ok for like 6 weeks, now sunday night out of know where started the Limp mode. i wonder if the other sensor went out it just cant be reached from under neath. where i was looking.

·
Registered
2,680 Posts
I had a small issue after we installed the transmission - when we took the
old one out, we broke that square keeper in the top left corner of the engine bay.
Left corner, if you are looking into the bay from the bumper.
Anyways, we had to use electrical tape to secure the sensors together, because the
little box was of no use.
About a week later, the car went into limp mode. I realized that one
of those sensors had backed out from the female connection. I wrapped it
a bit tighter with more tape, and then later secured it with zip ties. No
more limp mode. Something to think about.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Phacade said:
You raise a good question. I've heard the newer transmissions will bolt directly into the older Intrepids and I've heard they can but require modification. Which is is? Which transmissions will bolt into my '95 Intrepid.

Bear in mind I have limited technical know-how.
Yeah, I'd love to know how I could use a 2003-2005 Intrepid transmission in an older model, especially with all the dead Intrepids I see for sale, would be a great summer project to drop a 2005 trans in a 1995 car and have me a spare car. Or two. Or three. If a used trans is $400 or so, and installation is $600, and clean cars cost me $200 each with bad trannys, I could resell them for $1500-$2000 and make some cash when I'm done driving them!

J

·
0 Posts
I just installed 2001 tranny that came off of Intrepid 2.7L into my 1993 Concorde 3.5L

It is a worthwhile experience.
Exhaust has to be removed.
You will need some decent tools sizes from 10mm to 22mm.
1/2 inch drive ratchet and 3/4 inch ratchet. Also, get an extender for your ratchet, 36 inches or more.
You can install any 1998+ tranny into your 1993-1997 car.
For this, you need to know:
1. tranny is exactly the same. 1 bolt needs to be drilled 1 inch to the right in order for it to match on the engine/tranny mating (5 minutes)
2. Torque Converter, 1 hole needs to be enlarged on the flywheel for 1998+ torque converter to go in. Or, buy a 1G Torque converter which maches perfectly.
3. 1 plug on the tranny (electrical) is blade type, unlike 1993-1997 trannies, which are pin-type. This means you will have to splice about 8 wires, color for color. (10 minutes.)

What do you get? A better tranny, cheaper.

·
Registered
2,680 Posts
Awesome! Feels good to have that new tranny in there hu? I think I will
need to replace my EGR soon, and that kind ticks me off. Might have
to replace the fuel pump as well, as it is taking longer to start the car these
days.

·
Registered
321 Posts
well its easy to swap now that we know what has to be done in deatail for the 2nd gens to work in the 1st gens. with that easy to do it.

·
Registered
321 Posts
ok will i got it back today from the shop and they said it was a Code 56 guy said it was saying "turbine Speed" which he said was a problem with the output sensor and then it cleared it self and the shop said dont replace it till it goes out. lol guy argued with me about replacing the sensor the jerk. any way car is fine now and TCM cleared. cost me 55.00 dollars. next time gonna do battery thing and then pay for sensor replacement. *shrugs*

J

·
0 Posts
Yes. Before I did my 2G tranny swap, I read on the forums here inputs from other users about the new trannys and user's experiences with them.. They were saying how smooth it shifts and how much better the tranny is.
Well, let me tell ya; It's indescribable difference. Tranny shifts gears and if you are not "trying" to feel it, you won't. It's smoother than butter. And every day it gets smoother and smoother that much more, as the TCM is learning the new shift points and my style of driving. No more "bump-shift" when coming to a stop sign. Now, when you slow down from 60mph down to 15 for a stop sign, and you let go of the brake, tranny is in the CORRECT gear and you haven't felt it downshift. No more bumping gears, it seems it's always in the correct gear. Even when gunning the gas pedal and passing on the highway, it kicks down smoooooooth and powerfull. It seems as if there is somone babying a clutch predal in my car.
I would definitely recommend it to anyone for a more smoother, reliable ride.

The tranny that this 2001 (2.7L Intrepid with 10K miles) 2G replaced was a rebuilt 1G in my car. So, I opted for NOT having it rebuilt again, cuz the cheapest I could get it rebuilt for was $1300.
I got a junkyard tranny from a 2001 Intrepid 2.7L (as I said) and it cost me $275.00. I got a 1G torque converter (new) for $150, so I didn't have to enlarge holes. That put me at ~$425.00~ for the parts. And as an added bonus - since the tranny came out of a 2.7L car, I got the taller gears, so the car is about 20% quicker/jumpier off the line. Passing on the highway is almost effortless, and immediately I noticed the difference in my 0-60mph time.
Any shop I went to, they said they could do the swap for $300. Even at that price (~$725) it's still ONE HALF as much as a rebuilt 1G tranny - But, it's about 3 times better than 1G tranny.
:Congratulating myself: :)
_M_

·
Registered
2,680 Posts
From what I understand, the 00-05 transmissions are better in design. The 03 that
I installed was 25 pounds lighter than my old 97 trans. Just go with a 01 or new
trans.

J

·
0 Posts
^^ what he said. :)

Oh, and try to get no more than 20K on it.
Try to get 2.7L. This way you get taller gears (woohoo!! takeoff.)

J

·
0 Posts
By the way flowersc, you gotta record sound from your glasspack exhaust. I wanna hear em.
I need new exhaust in about 10K miles.. (6 months or so) I'm starting research now.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Hate to nag, but I was just hoping to get a straight answer. I know the '03 would be best, but can I fit a '97-98 era transmission on my '95? I was just wondering what will fit, not necessarily whats best.

Thanks.

·
Registered
110 Posts
When you buy a tranny from the boneyard, how do you know it's good? I know they will usually give you a 1-6 month warranty, but after all the trouble to put it in, if it's bad you gotta do it again (if they have another).

·
Registered
2,680 Posts
You have to research a bit. The one
I bought came out of a rear-ended 03. The
car was built in October 03. The trans had just
over 6K on it, so it was basically new.

J

·
0 Posts
I don't think you'll find a low mileage 96-97 (1Gen) in the junkyard. If you do it will be cheap (~$200) but it will also have over 60000 miles on it.
SO for that price, you might as well go with a (2G) which is better and probably you can find one, and I can almost guarantee you that it will have less miles on it.
We're just suggesting to you, how to get the most bang for your buck.
But yes, it's to your discretion what you do.
Don't be afraid of putting 2G into your car. It's not that hard, tranny is identical as far as the install goes, sans 1 hole that needs to be enlarged. Very easy.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts