DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 20 of 90 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Lots of tranny posts out there (mine included)

Why doesn't everyone list:

Year of car
Miles
Tranny Problems or Not?

Let's see if more folks have good trannys or had to have major work done...

I'll go first...
97 Trep
73K miles
No tranny issues besides wrong fluid being put in, which I had flushed out and replaced w/Mopar 7176! :)

·
Registered
4,811 Posts
1994 Intrepid 3.3L
107,000 miles
No tranny problems

·
Registered
1,226 Posts
had a
'97 3.5L
no tranny probs.

·
Registered
602 Posts
P-dog, your lucky as hell

1995 Dodge Intrepid 3.3L (Ultradrive A604)

78,000 miles front pump seals leaking, transmission needs rebuild due to surging, sometimes slipping etc. I think it may have been screwed up due to not using Mopar ATF prior to my purchase.

1999 Dodge Intrepid ES (Ultradrive 42LE)

30,500 Miles (Purchased with 28,000 MI)

Rough shifting/surging in lower gears, intermittent bump.

Once slipped really bad after tranny began to shift rapidly back and fourth in an intersection.

Once tranny became stuck in 4th gear.

Dealer can never confirm any problems, finally found Fault Code and reported slippage, Assume Fault Code was found since they finally did something.

Input/Output Speed Sensor Replaced

Transmission overhauled w/Torque Converter replacement, Input/Output Speed Sensor replaced again (Never thought it had to be replaced twice). Automatic Disc Clutch replaced.

Tranny worked fine for several hundered miles then problems slowly started to return. Brought it back to the dealer under warranty and the technician got pist "NOTHING's WRONG!".

Began to shift roughly, bump, surge, bump with Autostick, bump on decel in lower gears. Dealer cannot confirm anything again. (I personally think they didn't know WTF was up so they played it off).

I requested TCM updates several times. They always told me none were available. Took the 99ES somewhere else and they flashed the PCM and TCM with note of revision code, dealer code etc., really made a difference! Chrysler TSB's were even issued for certain issues the updates would supposedly correct. They didn't charge me $90.00 USD since there were TSB's and it was considered a warranty issue.

Much smoother, more rapid shifting, hardly any continued bump, even seemed a little quicker. Better fuel mileage as well (PCM update probably).

There's my Chrysler Ultradrive A604 and 42LE transmission experience.....

Take care guys.....

·
Registered
560 Posts
97 ES, 3.5L

no problems, really...its just an asshole.

had the ECU updated for trans; pan seal was leaking a bit...but otherwise, no major problems, just that really shitty shift into overdrive at 50MPH

·
Registered
415 Posts
1993 3.5L ES
62,500 miles
No tranny problems yet, although when I got my tranny fluid changes 200 miles ago, he said the torque converter was going bad. a mere 500 bucks to get it replaced. yuck :eek:

·
Registered
3,427 Posts
108K miles

98K - Tranny Bumped, went into limp home mode perminately (2nd gear). Rebuilt tranny, new torque converter. Mopar ATF +3 special orderd and installed

98,025 - on the way home from the shop, Large amount of slip on the hiway offramp, then would not move any more (any direction.. was in neutral). New Torque converter died, sending metal and rubber throuout the transmisison, destroying seals/gears/everything. Warrenty work, tranny and torque converter fixed. Unknown if ATF +3 was used in replacement.

107,500 - Transmission fluid drip noticed in the snow beneath car (eek). Shifting feels rough... downshift (from 3 to 2) is extremely rough. Taken to a different shop (Had tranny replaced the first time in Milwaukee, now I goto school in Eau CLaire) They remove the transmission and replace the front main seal and the torque converter, both were leaking. Nothing done about the shifting (DAMMIT! i told them to fix that!!!)

108,000 - Car has picked up a 'grinding' feeling while accelerating... kinda like the 'shudder' problem when the incorrect fluid was used. DAMMIT. I told those guys to use ATF+3/4... what I had originally paid for to be installed. Shifting is terrible... ALL downshifts slam into gear, but seems fine when just cruising or accelerating hard.. just the in-between is bad.

Thursday it is going in for another 'inspection' I am going to ahve some serious words with the techs this time tho. 20 days without the car so far because of the incompentance of the transmission repair shop workes.

Anyone know a good shop In Eau Claire?

·
Registered
602 Posts
I hate to say it but with these tranny's the best thing to do is take it to a Dodge/Chrysler dealer.....

These tranny shops usually have old school mechanics that are just used to boltin' stuff together and are not really familiar with the Chrysler Ultradrive A604/42LE.

Bad shudder sounds like they did not use Mopar Type 7176 ATF 4+. What punks....

It should be a deep reddish color with a kinda clear look to it and it should smell like burnt urine (piss), sorry but that's how the Mopar stuff usually smells.

If it has a sharp or sweet smell or smells much different from what I described it's most likely some other crap.

I hope that helps bro.....

Also after service is performed this time make sure you have the latest TCM (Transmission Control Module) revision from Chrysler. You may also want to run a check for Fault codes because they're could be a sensor failing causing your tranny to keep killin' itself unless it's just incompitance on behalf of who you are having your tranny service performed by.

I really hate to hear these things, again good luck! Let me know....

·
Registered
83 Posts
1993 3.3L ES
129,000 miles

replaced vehicle speed sensor after a bout of not being able to get the car out of second gear. this may have been related to extreme electrical loads in my car.

the mechanic used dexron + additive after flushing my transmission. the car has been feeling mushy since getting it back. i am going to take it somewhere else and get it replaced with the correct fluid.

·
Registered
602 Posts
Damn....! These Motherfu$%n' mechanics/technicians whatever....

They don't know **** about these tranny's or they only think they do they shouldn't service them, they really have no right when they really don't know.....!

You'd think they could at least buy a Chrysler Ultradrive system repair manual....!

Yeah, that other crap will cause a difference in grip with the gearing and in the way it lock's up....

Again, my 2 year old knows this, I told him this.... and these punks don't know....

I aint even no major autoexpert, admittedly!

We should just line these guys up and shoot them.... huh???

·
Registered
3,427 Posts
never again will I take a chrysler tranny somwhere other than a dealer.. the only reason I did it this time was because I knew the owner at the tranny place down in milwauke, and did the rebuild initially for $1500. COmpared to the $2100 dealer quote

·
Registered
1,461 Posts
131km -> 81k miles
No problems yet...
I tried desprately to get it to fail before the warranty expired back in 2000, but no luck. The piece of crap is still in one piece.

I still gotta get the TCM and PCM updates.

·
Registered
436 Posts
Originally posted by Black94ES:
131km -> 81k miles
No problems yet...
I tried desprately to get it to fail before the warranty expired back in 2000, but no luck. The piece of crap is still in one piece.

I still gotta get the TCM and PCM updates.
LOL

Hey MoparPerformance, I agree 100% about those mechanics and you have great info about tranny problems and symptoms, lets go into business!

95 intrepid 3.5L
133,xxx miles
NO tranny problems
I've only replaced the tranny fluid once and filter once!

Note that most of the problems listed here are related to Tranny Fluid.

·
Registered
530 Posts
1996 Concorde.. 3.3L
132k miles.. no tranny problems at all..

·
Registered
2,336 Posts
1997 Intrepid
3.5L
107,000 miles
No problems.

I do flush of fluid and filter replacement once a year.

·
Registered
3,652 Posts
93 Eagle Vision - 145,000 miles no problems
95 'Trep - 48,000 when traded - no problems
98 'Trep - 28,000 when traded - no problems
01 RT - 5600 - so far so good.

I haven't had any problems with the trannies. My mechanic tells me that our cars use special fluid and he gets it from a
Dodge dealer in town. It's nice to have someone who knows what he's doing. The Dodge dealer I use is also quite good and that's hard for me to admit about a dealer, but they do a good job. Been dealing with the Dodge dealer for over 7 years with no complaints. None. I hope it stays that way.

·
Registered
4,739 Posts
Well if I ever have any tranny problems... $100 deductable for seven years. Hopefully I wont have to spend even that much.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Got you all beat on mileage

'94 Chrysler Concorde (42LE Tranny)
162,000 miles
around 110k tranny wouldnt shift above 2nd, rebuilt. around 120k tranny would shift into 2nd then stay in second, rebuilt under warranty.

·
Registered
436 Posts
Originally posted by moparman:
93 Eagle Vision - 145,000 miles no problems
95 'Trep - 48,000 when traded - no problems
98 'Trep - 28,000 when traded - no problems
01 RT - 5600 - so far so good.

I haven't had any problems with the trannies. My mechanic tells me that our cars use special fluid and he gets it from a
Dodge dealer in town. It's nice to have someone who knows what he's doing. The Dodge dealer I use is also quite good and that's hard for me to admit about a dealer, but they do a good job. Been dealing with the Dodge dealer for over 7 years with no complaints. None. I hope it stays that way.
That is quite the impressive selection of LH cars! You must really like the LH series. Your one in a few to find a good dodge dealer and a good private mechanic. Your lucky. Dodge dealer(s) in my area don't know the tranny from the rear wheels. I do most of the work myself, because of this I find myself very bored at home!!! Gotta get a hobby besides snowmobiles.

1 - 20 of 90 Posts