DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
503 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
my coworker fixes cars on the side and has done several intrepid timing belts. he has a 99 trep with the 2.7 he bought in non running shape. the previous owner replaced the main timing chain and chain guides but gave up for some reason. my friend says he needs the TOOL to reset the tensioner? I am a 1st gen owner and am not aware of 2nd gen timing issues or tricks needed to do the job. is there something unique about the 2.7 tensioner?

·
Registered
982 Posts
The tensioner has to be reset, and then released after timing chain is in right position.
The tensioner is a spring loaded, ratcheting mechanism that uses oil pressure to keep chain tight. The spring keeps the chain tensioned during start up untill oil pressure reaches it and the ratchet mechanism keeps it in the extended position.
There is a tool made to reset it I think Miller makes it. It looks like a small cup with a pin in the middle of it. All it does is push on the check ball so the oil can bleed out , then you turn it over and it acts as a guage to depress the tensioner so the ratchet can lock it in the compressed position. You can reset it without the tool, just push on check ball and depress the tensioner untill all oil comes out then it will sping back(if it doesn't spring back throw it away), then flip it over and push untill it locks in place.After it is installed you just pry it back with a screwdriver and it will spring in place.
PS A new tensioner should come ready to install and won't need reset.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts